Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accompanied Driver to Driving Test?

• 09-06-2013 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi, Ive my driving test tomorrow. I was wondering do I need to bring an accompanied driver with me to the test center. I'll be using my own car. I presume they wont care. But my mum seems to think they'll fail me or just not do the test.

Any one know? My ADI told me they dont care and its not their job to implement to RTA but then later told my mum that I had to have an accompanied driver (well that's what she said he said).

Can anyone shed some light please. I normally drive unaccompanied. I hate travelling with my mum in the car, she is a bag of nerves and "pointers".

Cheers :D

Also dont want a lecture on Learner drivers must have accompanied driver.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I wish you the best of luck, but based on my own experience, I would strongly recommend you bring a Driver. Truth is, they can do anything they want to make your life a misery, so why tempt fate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I wish you the best of luck, but based on my own experience, I would strongly recommend you bring a Driver. Truth is, they can do anything they want to make your life a misery, so why tempt fate?

Cheers :)

Reason for asking: I'll need to go out of my way to collect her and just don't want hassle in the early morning, when Ill probably be v. nervous. ADI said he'd be shocked if I fail, ann only a exceptional thing will cause me to fail. Fucking getting nervous now thinking about it. Looks like I may have to collect the bag of nerves and unhelpful pointers :(

HurtLocker wrote: »

Reason for asking: I'll need to go out of my way to collect her and just don't want hassle in the early morning, when Ill probably be v. nervous. ADI said he'd be shocked if I fail, ann only a exceptional thing will cause me to fail. Fucking getting nervous now thinking about it. Looks like I may have to collect the bag of nerves and unhelpful pointers :(

I hear you! I was so nervous as well. That's why it's best just to have "all your ducks in a row" so to speak.....but if you are going to get even more stressed by bringing a driver, maybe you can take yer chances, lol....

I can't find it now but a good breathing exercise helped me.....I think it was like count to 6 breathing in, and count to 8 breathing out......repeat repeat repeat until you feel calm. It worked and I passed. You will too.

Good luck!

I hear you! I was so nervous as well. That's why it's best just to have "all your ducks in a row" so to speak.....but if you are going to get even more stressed by bringing a driver, maybe you can take yer chances, lol....

I can't find it now but a good breathing exercise helped me.....I think it was like count to 6 breathing in, and count to 8 breathing out......repeat repeat repeat until you feel calm. It worked and I passed. You will too.

Good luck!
    Thanks. We've decided to meet up in an estate near the centre. She'll hop in and ill be accompanied to the centre. Then when's test begins she'll walk back to her car. :) Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hi, Ive my driving test tomorrow. I was wondering do I need to bring an accompanied driver with me to the test center. I'll be using my own car. I presume they wont care. But my mum seems to think they'll fail me or just not do the test.

Any one know? My ADI told me they dont care and its not their job to implement to RTA but then later told my mum that I had to have an accompanied driver (well that's what she said he said).

Can anyone shed some light please. I normally drive unaccompanied. I hate travelling with my mum in the car, she is a bag of nerves and "pointers".

Cheers :D

Also dont want a lecture on Learner drivers must have accompanied driver.

Driving unaccompanied is breaking the law. End of story. Where you are going and why is irrelevant, it is still breaking the law.

If you don't want a lecture on learner drivers driving unaccompanied, then don't post on a public forum asking people if its ok to do so. It isn't. And no amount of your telling people not to lecture you, will make it so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

So, your ma is gonna go to the test centre with you and while you go in and "wait your turn", she's gonna wait in the car to prove that she actually accompanied you to the centre. Irrespective of whether its illegal to drive unaccompanied or not how is a tester supposed to prove that the woman is a) a licenced driver with 2 or more years driving experience (aside from the obvious asking her to produce the evidence, tester is not a guard and has no legal right to) and b) that she did actually accompany you to the centre, unless the tester just so happens to be in the parking lot when you get out of your car, your mother could easily have already been there when you get there.

Listen mate, its your test, not your mother's. If its gonna be easier and more calming for you not to have her with you, its your call. She has to respect that. And a small word of advice which I'm sure you've already been told anyway, reverse into your space when you arrive and drive in when you finish. Best of luck with it dude. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bring someone old that you don't mind with ye, and give them a tenner to spend in the local coffeeshop. If going to Finglas, the tester doesn't even meet the person you brought. Why would they?

It'd be nice if the person had a license, but naughty if they didn't. Last thing ye want is having someone drive ye up the wall before the test, but doing a pre-test may calm ye a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I drove to the centre on my own and passed first time, as did a few people I know. The last thing you need before your test is a nervous wreck sitting beside you :)

pajopearl wrote: »
    So, your ma is gonna go to the test centre with you and while you go in and "wait your turn", she's gonna wait in the car to prove that she actually accompanied you to the centre. Irrespective of whether its illegal to drive unaccompanied or not how is a tester supposed to prove that the woman is a) a licenced driver with 2 or more years driving experience (aside from the obvious asking her to produce the evidence, tester is not a guard and has no legal right to) and b) that she did actually accompany you to the centre, unless the tester just so happens to be in the parking lot when you get out of your car, your mother could easily have already been there when you get there.

Listen mate, its your test, not your mother's. If its gonna be easier and more calming for you not to have her with you, its your call. She has to respect that. And a small word of advice which I'm sure you've already been told anyway, reverse into your space when you arrive and drive in when you finish. Best of luck with it dude. You'll be fine.

Exactly what my adi said to me cheers.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Driving unaccompanied is breaking the law. End of story. Where you are going and why is irrelevant, it is still breaking the law.

If you don't want a lecture on learner drivers driving unaccompanied, then don't post on a public forum asking people if its ok to do so. It isn't. And no amount of your telling people not to lecture you, will make it so.
    Actually you're the only one. You're on the Internet, why are you wasting your time when I specifically said not to and I don't care what you think. And I know its breaking the law thanks, that's the point of the thread. Ill pay the €100 fine if I'm caught. K thanks bye.

• Advertisement

C'mon, OP. How did it go?

C'mon, OP. How did it go?

Everything perfect except on a street with parked cars on one side I failed to give right of way:mad:. First time I made the mistake ever :(. So bloody annoyed. Everything else grand. So looks like a cancellation test ASAP :(

EDIT: Annoyed isnt the right word, Im frozen in shock. I mean reversing round the corner went perfect along with the hill start and the turnabout went better than I could have wished. Suppose nerves got to me.

Everything perfect except on a street with parked cars on one side I failed to give right of way:mad:. First time I made the mistake ever :eek:. So bloody annoyed. Everything else grand. So looks like a cancellation test ASAP :(

I didn't want to tell you this yesterday as you were already nervous, but guess what happened to me on my first test?
    My learners permit was TWO DAYS out of date. I didn't even think to check before I got there. Tester wouldn't even start: money wasted, rebooked (and was gutted).

Second Test: My micra mini, which had worked perfectly previously, never a problem, began to make a noise like someone was trying to get out of the boot. I am not joking: loud banging/kicking type noise. I had to pull over and try to figure out what was wrong (and show the tester I didn't have a hostage in my trunk, lol). I laughed out loud in the car like a maniac at the stress and madness of it all: the tester just looked at me.
    Fail. He didn't have a sense of homour :(
    Turns out the defect in the car is a well known one and cost me a few quid to get it fixed. Never happened again. So you know God hates you when it only happens in the middle of your driving test, lol.

3rd Test: Used the breathing exercise, PASSED AT LAST!

So chin up OP, you will ace it next time! Enjoy the sun today and try to put it behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It sucks, but you'll get over it. Remember that half of all people fail on their first go (or at least that used to be the stat), so chances are you know a load of people who failed at least once. There's no need to be ashamed or annoyed about it, sometimes it just doesn't work out.

On the topic of the thread, if someone's doing a search on it, the tester cannot fail you on anything except your conduct during the test. You could admit to having run down a pedestrian on the way there, but the tester still has to appraise you on your driving in the test, they can't fail you before you start unless there's something wrong the vehicle. In theory if you drive on your own, that could bias the tester against you, so if they ask if anyone came with you; "Yeah, my Mum. She's gone off for a walk cos she didn't want to make me more nervous".

I didn't want to tell you this yesterday as you were already nervous, but guess what happened to me on my first test?
    My learners permit was TWO DAYS out of date. I didn't even think to check before I got there. Tester wouldn't even start: money wasted, rebooked (and was gutted).

Second Test: My micra mini, which had worked perfectly previously, never a problem, began to make a noise like someone was trying to get out of the boot. I am not joking: loud banging/kicking type noise. I had to pull over and try to figure out what was wrong (and show the tester I didn't have a hostage in my trunk, lol). I laughed out loud in the car like a maniac at the stress and madness of it all: the tester just looked at me.
    Turns out the defect in the car is a well known one and cost me a few quid to get it fixed. Never happened again. So you know God hates you when it only happens in the middle of your driving test, lol.

So chin up OP, you will ace it next time! Enjoy the sun today and try to put it behind you.

So gutted because the second I pulled out onto the road , I knew I'd failed. The tester even gasped. It's horrible when I think back. My stomach was churning all morning with nerves, doing the test it was easy sailing until the mess up. Thanks anyhow. Ill just have to get my retest ASAP.

seamus wrote: »
    It sucks, but you'll get over it. Remember that half of all people fail on their first go (or at least that used to be the stat), so chances are you know a load of people who failed at least once. There's no need to be ashamed or annoyed about it, sometimes it just doesn't work out.

On the topic of the thread, if someone's doing a search on it, the tester cannot fail you on anything except your conduct during the test. You could admit to having run down a pedestrian on the way there, but the tester still has to appraise you on your driving in the test, they can't fail you before you start unless there's something wrong the vehicle. In theory if you drive on your own, that could bias the tester against you, so if they ask if anyone came with you; "Yeah, my Mum. She's gone off for a walk cos she didn't want to make me more nervous".

True. The tester didnt care. I arrived 1/2 and hour early and my accompanied driver had gone back to her car and was well gone by the time the tester called me. So for future readers. (Ive read threads over 6 years old on here). The tester doesnt care, they aren't guards. Many valid reasons as to why the accompanied driver had left. How well you obey the rules of the road is tested once they call your name.

Gutted for you. Was it really a red offence or was the tester just an arse? In fairness if you'd done so well so far why he couldn't hve marked that as a green is beyond me. It's been over 5 yrs since I did a test so I can't remember the colour scheme, but I remember being so afraid of the red box.

Gutted for you. Was it really a red offence or was the tester just an arse? In fairness if you'd done so well so far why he couldn't hve marked that as a green is beyond me. It's been over 5 yrs since I did a test so I can't remember the colour scheme, but I remember being so afraid of the red box.

Bit off both really but I did stop cars who had right of way. Was really a case if I had arrived at that point 10 seconds earlier Id have been clean through. Had a mark for forgetting to check my left mirror when I turned right, and a grade 2(not sure if 1 or 2) for apparently cutting it to tight turning right a different time with traffic coming from the right. I disagree completely on the second one. But no point fighting the system. Got one red and that was it.

EDIT: This is from talking to the tester after the test I still need my report card

Just thought I'd pop back in and say I passed today! Got my l plates down :cool:

Cheers to everyone on this thread for helping :)

Just thought I'd pop back in and say I passed today! Got my l plates down :cool:

Wahay. God stuff OP. How did you manage to get a retest so quickly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Congratulations! Its a great feeling to take down the L-plates, isnt it! ;)

Wahay. God stuff OP. How did you manage to get a retest so quickly?

Cheers. Applied for the licence half an hour ago.

I literally rang up 2 days in a row looking for a cancellation. If you look at the Unsuccessful thread I detailed it out.

Im ver the moon. I've a job starting on Thursday which I need the car for :)

max life wrote: »
    Congratulations! Its a great feeling to take down the L-plates, isnt it! ;)

Best feeling ever. I was out ringing my adi after and nearly dropped the phone when I realised I could take them off! :D. A lady arriving for her test even congratulated me when they saw me do it! Should have the licence in my hand in 10 days. No Novice driver plates for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

1st test: Nervous wreck. Stalled the car three times due to being nervous and not that used to the car yet. Failed with 9 marks.

2nd test: Failed miserably.

3rd test: Some bizarre date mismatch on my insurance disc that nobody else had noticed until then. Wasn't allowed to test.

4th test: Failed miserably.

5th test: Right brake light not working when arrived to the center (checked them all the day before, no issues). Even had extra driving lessons just before - felt very ready and confident.

6th test: Today. Not really nervous as such, just want it over with and done. Tired of L plates and such. Been driving a lot lately, so I certainly hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Best of luck! :)

Advertisement