Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Random Beeping

Options
  • 09-06-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭

Hi, my laptop is making short random beeps. It does it intermittently when the laptop is running and there doesn't appear to be any pattern to it.

I've uploaded a sound clip here. The first beep is at 1 second and the next one is at 17 seconds.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

dmc17 wrote: »
    Hi, my laptop is making short random beeps. It does it intermittently when the laptop is running and there doesn't appear to be any pattern to it.

I've uploaded a sound clip here. The first beep is at 1 second and the next one is at 17 seconds.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

What make and model is it ?

Is it a Dell laptop ? If so, someone else had problems which were solved by updating the firmware. 2011 Link

But if could also be a sign that the CPU fan is dying, or your system overheating in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

post a list of running processes. HijackThis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭dmc17

It's a HP Pavilion DV7.
    I'll post the processes when I get home this evening.
    Thanks

Here is the process list from HijackThis

Process list saved on 19:10:35, on 10/06/2013
    Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)

[pid] [full path to filename] [file version] [company name]
    3124 C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Sony PC Companion\PCCompanion.exe 2.1.0.0 Sony
    3628 C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Sony PC Companion\PCCompanionInfo.exe
    3696 C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QLBCTRL.exe 6.5.11.1 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
    3760 C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\hpwuschd2.exe 80.1.0.0 Hewlett-Packard
    3792 C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe 1.6.5.0 Adobe Systems Incorporated
    3828 C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Content Transfer\ContentTransferWMDetector.exe 1.3.0.23190 Sony Corporation
    3836 C:\Program Files (x86)\DivX\DivX Update\DivXUpdate.exe 1.0.4.40
    3864 C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG Secure Search\vprot.exe 15.2.0.5 AVG Secure Search
    3892 C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2013\avgui.exe 13.0.0.2883 AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.
    3948 C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe 2.1.9.4 Oracle Corporation
    3052 c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Media\Live TV\TVAgent.exe 3.1.1.2206 CyberLink Corp.
    1176 c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\Media\Kernel\CLML\CLMLSvc.exe 4.3.3318.0 CyberLink
    4664 C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BluetoothHeadsetProxy.exe 6.2.1.500 Broadcom Corporation.
    6028 C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqToaster.exe 3.0.24.1
    900 C:\Users\Dessie\Downloads\HijackThis.exe 2.0.0.5 Trend Micro Inc.

The laptop always ran a bit hot and the fan was noisy but this seems to be a common complaint with this model. It is running perfectly other than making these random beeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Probably unrelated to the beeps, but if its running hot, good idea to de-fluff it to improve airflow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

Doesn't look like anything suspicious on the list , but i would try to kill sony and hp processes. Just temporarily, restart if needed.
    Are you using a bluetooth headset? That could be the cause.

No, I don't have a headset. I have a USB mouse alright.
    I'm gonna re-install windows at some stage anyway so that may get rid of it. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Someone else with a similar problem said they changed their Windows power plan to a lower setting and the beeping stopped.

http://www.instructables.com/answers/My-computer-keeps-making-annoying-beepy-noises/

Advertisement