Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wellington or Christchurch?

• 09-06-2013 7:23pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Which do you prefer Wellington or Christchurch?

Wellington is an amazingly picturesque city. It's small, compact, right on the sea, and has great looking hills/mountains around it. On a sunny day it's very hard to beat as even in your house you've more than likely got a deck with a great view of the city and sea area to just relax in and chill out.

City.jpg

It's very windy though and those hills are hard to walk up. It's also kinda isolated down at the bottom of the North Island.

Christchurch has some great surf beaches nearby, the Port Hills to play about in, is nowhere near as windy, and within about a 2hour drive you can get to the Southern Alps and Kaikoura so have some excellent places for skiing or hiking.

Christchurch_City.jpg

It's a crappy looking city though and I never felt the same good vibe as I did in Wellington. Then there's the prostitution which is a lot more blatant with the street walkers.

So which do you prefer? I'm not sure which one I do/did anyway.

This is all based on pre earthquake ChCh.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Its not windy here EVERY day :) Now and then but not as bad as some people think at all.

Christchurch for me (pre-quake) just felt meh compared to the exciting feeling I got when I toured around Wellington initially. The parks, rivers and gardens in the CBD were nice but the suburbs and outlying areas just felt pretty run down and boring. Very glad I chose Wellington now. The only thing that would tempt me down there is the proximity to so much lovely nature in the South Island...but from Welly its only a short ferry or flight away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's not not windy there every day either :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Biting southerly (Wellington) vs muggy nor-wester (Chch).

Give me Wellington any day. Even more so post earthquake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ill tell ye now ive got a keyboard that doesnt work especially well, so please fortiv... blah, forgive obvious spelling things.... earthquskes killed the kelete key...

anyway, christchurch pre quake was the ****in place to be... sports, ,music, outdoor, whatever you a watem)( (bleh sorry) whatever you wanted, it was there. its taken me up till quite recently fo finally admit that waht we remmeber as chch, simply is not true anymore and hasnt been for a few yars b. ... now.

wellington haw always been one of my favourite holiday spots. its incredibly vibrant, lots of artists, students, activists, musos and generally colourful people. i love it, but for me, o i like smaller towns - having lived in lexilip, christchurch and dublin i kno i never want to live in a place bigger than chch again. welington is so sweet for hilidays though.

christchurch wll rise again, i have faith in that much, but i am currently saving to move down to dunedin for a few years, have some fun (hey, chrsitchurch, remember FUN? i barely do, but im SO sure it still exists) and i wana come back here to do my degree and live when the rebuild has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Neither- Whanga-Vegas all the way !!!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement