Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA help FAI with stadium payments

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Why are people thinking that the FAI could dictate the location of the stadium? It belongs to the IRFU and they wanted to keep it there. Given how Bertie fu(ked the IRFU and FAI with his Bertie Bowl, I can't blame the IRFU for just plowing ahead with a redevelopment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

NIMAN wrote: »
    afaik, its a requirement to have a national league if you want to enter UEFA and FIFA Qualifying and tournaments.

So, no LoI means no Euros or World Cups for Ireland as a national team.
    Is that actually a rule?

Take Liechtenstein for example. They don't have a league (and their clubs play in Switzerland) but they participate in the UEFA/FIFA qualifying campaigns.

Or are they an exception to the rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Crackle wrote: »
    Is that actually a rule?

Take Liechtenstein for example. They don't have a league (and their clubs play in Switzerland) but they participate in the UEFA/FIFA qualifying campaigns.

Or are they an exception to the rule?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liechtenstein_Football_Association

Looks like an exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why are people thinking that the FAI could dictate the location of the stadium? It belongs to the IRFU and they wanted to keep it there. Given how Bertie fu(ked the IRFU and FAI with his Bertie Bowl, I can't blame the IRFU for just plowing ahead with a redevelopment

Your dead right, the FAI had zero leverage in the matter. They were only tenants at Lansdowne, plus it was their need to go all seater for international competitive matches that was one factor in forcing the redevelopment when it did.
    The IRFU and the Govt helped pay for it but the FAI would always be on the back foot when it came to what rights they had in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Also, CP is very basic by today's standards and quite obviously looks like a stadium from the 80s.

I don't know about that.
    They are more or less that same standard for the normal seating areas.

I have been to the premium levels in both and to be honest Croke Park premium level is way ahead of that of the Aviva in terms of drink/food/décor. There was no comparison between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

the aviva stadium got 200million of government funds.
    200 million.

the millenium stadium cost 121million sterling in 2000 so a lot less, and even with inflation and rip off Ireland into the bargain, it was far cheaper than the aviva

Now, what was that again about the Aviva not being funded by government properly? I think the governemt gave plenty of cash to be honest.

It was €191M the government (which is really us, the taxpayer) gave the IRFU/FAI.

The FAI are financially screwed because they messed up with their ten year corporate ticket sales. (The IRFU didn't).

That was John Delaney's baby.

Yet, he is still in charge at the FAI, clamping down on dissent, and getting totally overpaid.

In any other business he'd have been fired instead of constantly being given new contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

This was pretty much my reaction to the finished Lansdowne Road.

Funny how Homer's car unintentionally hits every beat wrt to Lansdowne, from the fact that it's a misshapen, chaotic looking monstrosity, that the price is exorbitant and appears to be leading its investors to ruin.

It's even green! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

NIMAN wrote: »
    afaik, its a requirement to have a national league if you want to enter UEFA and FIFA Qualifying and tournaments.

So, no LoI means no Euros or World Cups for Ireland as a national team.

as i said not really worried about this, LoI would continue pretty much as you were imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Noboby mentioned the ~15/20 million that Ireland got for Euro 2012.
    Where did this money go??:rolleyes:

Why do they need a digout a year after been given this money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Noboby mentioned the ~15/20 million that Ireland got for Euro 2012.
    Where did this money go??:rolleyes:

Why do they need a digout a year after been given this money?

Could have went on Johnnie D and his generous lash of rounds he was consuming last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

what do you mean exactly??

How do we replicate, or come as close as we possibly can to replicating the IRFU's success with Irish soccer? Pay me 600k a year and I'll tell you...

Advertisement