Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walkers

Options
  • 09-06-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Where do people go for a decent walk in Kildare? And where is the closest mountain walk to Kildare? Ta in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Depending on which part of Kildare you're talking about, West Wicklow's quite accessible by car, as are the Slieve Blooms in Laois/Offaly (also quite nice and a little quieter!) - look up Glen barrow for a nice walk with some extensions depending on what length you're looking for.

In around Kildare itself? Canal towpath walks are plentiful, and there's forestry in Donadea, Monasterevin, and Kilkea (near Athy) owned by Coillte which is good for a walk too.

You might get more area-specific answers if you let us know where exactly you're thinking of!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alice carroll

Hi - thanks for that reply - there's loads of ideas there. I live in Naas/Newbridge and was looking for somewhere with at least a two hour walk and at most four hours.
    would you be able to tell me how to get to the walks in west Wicklow and to the slieve blooms from naas as I am new to the area? thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Sallins to digby bridge along the canal. That's a nice walk. If you keep going, i'd imagine you'd end up in Robertstown. Think the return trip would put you over 4 hours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Some great replies, don't forget plenty of walking trails out around the curragh as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Plenty of walking on the curragh. With the times your thinking of walking you could nearly walk out from your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Hi - thanks for that reply - there's loads of ideas there. I live in Naas/Newbridge and was looking for somewhere with at least a two hour walk and at most four hours.
    would you be able to tell me how to get to the walks in west Wicklow and to the slieve blooms from naas as I am new to the area? thanks

You'd need a car to do it easiest. Wicklow's easily reachable by car via Blessington. Even Glendalough with it's signed walks would be within an hour's drive from Naas, so you've plenty of options there.

Slieve Blooms walks, you'd be looking at again getting in the car towards Portarlington, Mountmellick and on towards Birr (stop after Rosenallis for Glenbarrow signed walks!).

If it's hillwalking you're looking for, why not get yourself a book of walks, there are a few around? Joss Lynam is one author that springs to mind but there are plenty others.

There are also some fairly easy walks around the Pollardstown Fen (between Newbridge and Kildare) and up at Prosperous there's Ballynafagh Lake aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

Mullaghreelan forest walk is also a good option. We take our young kids there for a walk every so often and they love it.

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=53&rec_site=92&no_cache=1

I second the Glen Barrow walk in Laois...it's a great walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I bring my dog to a place called killinthomas. Its lovely. Its out past rathangan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

+1 for Killinthomas wood

708645_orig.jpg

Advertisement