Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunch ideas preferably veggie?

Options
  • 09-06-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm trying to eat a bit healthier and give up my lunchtime burrito/Italian/wedges and wings habit and am looking for some ideas if ye have them and I haven't missed a sticky on this!

I love curries, and make my own with chicken, chickpeas and an onion/garlic/chili/ginger/tomato base and I'm happy out with that, but it'd be nice to have a bit of variety.

I love cooking, but I'm a pain in the a*rse in that I only stick with what I know, so aside from the below, which are my go-tos when I actually have the energy and motivation to make my own lunch, I can't really think of other lunch ideas that I can heat up in the microwave at work! :confused:

My usuals are:
    -Curry (as above)
    -Fish cakes (cooked and reheated) and pasta in a tomato sauce (homemade)
    -Spag bol (I dont really like this one!)
    -Baked spud with beans

And that's it! It's so boring!

I love most veg aside from courgettes and aubergines and like most meat (not mad on pork). Hate cous cous with a passion.

Ideas just have to be
    A) affordable
    B) Microwaveable
    C) Filling - salad is not an option, I don't feel it's a meal and I just end up munching on shíte for the rest of the day if I have a salad for lunch.
    D) preferably veggie/pulse based.

Any of your wonderful ideas are welcome!

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Crustless (or crusty, if you can be arsed making it!) quiches.

Basically take any and all veggies you like, quick fry to brown/soften them, into a pyrex dish, beat eggs with cream/milk enough to barely cover them, top with grated cheese, and bake for about half an hour until just about set. (egg will continue cooking after it comes out of the oven, you don't want it rock hard)

Obviously you can add meat to this if you want.

Really, really filling, and can be frozen in individual portions, defrost the night before and warm up (or not) in your zapper in work.

My favourite is leeks, onions, goat's cheese, parsley, chives and gruyere cheese. Rich as bejaysus, before anyone accuses me of promoting heart-attack-inducing food, so you don't need a huge portion.

But the ingredients are limited only by your own taste buds :D

Advertisement