Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken run

• 09-06-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Just finsihed building my chicken run but need to bolt my wooden frames down onto the concrete. Do I need anything inbetween the wood and concrete before I bolt it down?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Is the wood treated before you bolt it down - i.e. wont rot? Are you in an area where foxes are a problem (where isnt!) - make sure the wood is strong enough to withstand a fox digging/gnawing at it.

(will the hens run be directly on the concrete - you know hens 'need' to scratch, so the concrete would be pretty miserable surface for them to live on) Good luck with your new hens - the smallholding forum on here, has lots of chat/info hen-related!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

aonb wrote: »
    Is the wood treated before you bolt it down - i.e. wont rot? Are you in an area where foxes are a problem (where isnt!) - make sure the wood is strong enough to withstand a fox digging/gnawing at it.

(will the hens run be directly on the concrete - you know hens 'need' to scratch, so the concrete would be pretty miserable surface for them to live on) Good luck with your new hens - the smallholding forum on here, has lots of chat/info hen-related!

Thanks alot. The wood is treated and will sit on a concrete trench a foot wide all around and a foot and a half deep to keep the foxes out. Chickens will have 12' x 8 run on the earth.
    Yeah a fox carried the 3 hens I had before I got the chance to build my run so Im trying to get it right this time before I buy any more hens. Thanks again for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

If you are putting the wood on what is in effect a very low wall then you could pop some dpc plastic under it before you bolt it down.

eirator wrote: »
    If you are putting the wood on what is in effect a very low wall then you could pop some dpc plastic under it before you bolt it down.

Yeah thats what I was wondering about. That will do the trick. Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

since your hens got taken by a fox, they will be back for more :mad: How high is your fence/wire? A fox can get over 6ft fencing. Since your run is only 12x8 it would be worth considering a net 'roof' - this will have the additional benefit of keeping wild birds out (eating hens food and disease issues)

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    since your hens got taken by a fox, they will be back for more :mad: How high is your fence/wire? A fox can get over 6ft fencing. Since your run is only 12x8 it would be worth considering a net 'roof' - this will have the additional benefit of keeping wild birds out (eating hens food and disease issues)

Yeah its 6' high so I will be putting netting across the top also. Hopefully be like 'Fort Knox' bt the time Im finished

Advertisement