Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes at Carpenterstown Spar - beware

Options
  • 09-06-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Found out the hard way, my bike was stolen Saturday morning after GAA practice. 4th one this week according to the Spar - CCTV identifies the little scum bag, same guy who's pinched the others. He's got a nice little business there. Followed me an my son from the entrance to CCC to Spar, literally as soon as I had my back turned, bike gone. Any ideal where these vermin off load these - heard tales of a place in Smithfield who'll buy anything, otherwise it's the usual buyandsell, donedeal, adverts etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Were the bikes locked? Most people don't lock the bikes and there is no good bicycle parking there (I sometimes lock to the railings beside the medical centre).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Seems to be quite a lot of it happening in the area alright. Bikes are regularly getting knicked or thrashed down by the train station too. Happened to me last year and saw a few others reporting it on the Neighbourhood Watch thread. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056479220)

Only thing is, I'm surprised to read you didn't have it locked up in anyway, even locking up the wheels to the frame. You can't leave anything outside anywhere in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

My girlfriend lives a stones throw from the Spar, it's quite often the hangout for many unsavoury types as is the case with my local Spar. Maybe screenshot a section of the CCTV footage and post the little scrotes picture on the notice board outside the spar. Chances are he resides in D15 area...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

daymobrew wrote: »
    Were the bikes locked? Most people don't lock the bikes and there is no good bicycle parking there (I sometimes lock to the railings beside the medical centre).

Unfortunately not Daymo, I know. Anytime I've been in there, it's always within my line of sight - the Spar have blocked off the window with a card display, so paid the price on Saturday for leaving it out of my sight for literally 10 seconds, hard lesson to learn. Scummer doubled back from the entrance at CCC, I'd seen him a few seconds previously. CCTV shows him lifting the bike as soon as I was in the shop, he cycles towards Bramley / Warren direction, but obviously impossible to know exactly where he went. His face is clearly recognisable, and he's apparently a regular in the area (for bike theft). Guards made aware and they may have recovered the CCTV at this stage - checking with the guy when he's back on duty tonight.

Seems to be quite a lot of it happening in the area alright. Bikes are regularly getting knicked or thrashed down by the train station too. Happened to me last year and saw a few others reporting it on the Neighbourhood Watch thread. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056479220)

Only thing is, I'm surprised to read you didn't have it locked up in anyway, even locking up the wheels to the frame. You can't leave anything outside anywhere in Dublin.

yep, that's for sure. If it's not nailed down, it'll be lifted. That's 100% sure.

• Advertisement

EazyD wrote: »
    My girlfriend lives a stones throw from the Spar, it's quite often the hangout for many unsavoury types as is the case with my local Spar. Maybe screenshot a section of the CCTV footage and post the little scrotes picture on the notice board outside the spar. Chances are he resides in D15 area...

Yep, the manager of the Spar recognised hi. He's a regular apparently, both in the shop and as a prolific bike thief. Got to hand it to him - the guy has balls. He lifted my bike right beside other parents I'd just being talking to before I entered the shop. I suppose he realised his chances of being caught (other than in the act) are near zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Yep, the manager of the Spar recognised hi. He's a regular apparently, both in the shop and as a prolific bike thief. Got to hand it to him - the guy has balls. He lifted my bike right beside other parents I'd just being talking to before I entered the shop. I suppose he realised his chances of being caught (other than in the act) are near zero.

If he nicked 4 bikes in a week only, and you know his face, why don't park in a car near the entrance and wait for few hours on different days?
    Catch him*, offer a cup of tea and before calling gards politely explain and suggest to return your bike.

* Moderators - I don't tell OP to take law into his own hands I only suggest nice and polite friendly chat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

Had my bike robbed from the green area of Blanch Centre today between 1.40 and 3.20. Was locked through both wheels through the eyehole on the bike stand so must have used a bolt cutters or such to get it off. Said it to the customer care guy inside the door and he radioed to wherever their base is to check cctv. Said they're checking the bike bays every 30 mins and one was stolen yesterday too. Reported to Blanch cops and he said they'll have at look at cctv and let me know. Checking donedeal,adverts etc constantly, f**king fuming! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

Shame to hear this, the OH and I are moving home to Blanchardstown in a few weeks and we cycle everywhere, we always lock our bikes but feeling very wary now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Trademark wrote: »
    Had my bike robbed from the green area of Blanch Centre today between 1.40 and 3.20. Was locked through both wheels through the eyehole on the bike stand so must have used a bolt cutters or such to get it off. Said it to the customer care guy inside the door and he radioed to wherever their base is to check cctv. Said they're checking the bike bays every 30 mins and one was stolen yesterday too. Reported to Blanch cops and he said they'll have at look at cctv and let me know. Checking donedeal,adverts etc constantly, f**king fuming! :(

Sorry to hear that dude, I have just got a new Giant Rapid and will not be locking it anywhere, little knunts can get any bike they want. Just out of interest what lock did you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Perfect opportunity for a sting..assuming you have the time.. (if you need bodies I'll help out)

Catch him, citizens arrest until the police arrive. If you have CCTV proof then you'll get ae sort of compensation (either through the guy or his parents)

BOARDS AVENGERS. ASSEMBLE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Zyzz wrote: »
    Perfect opportunity for a sting..assuming you have the time.. (if you need bodies I'll help out)

Catch him, citizens arrest until the police arrive. If you have CCTV proof then you'll get ae sort of compensation (either through the guy or his parents)

BOARDS AVENGERS. ASSEMBLE.

Good idea. If he robs one and spots a gang waiting for him, in his haste to get away, he may fall over and hurt himself badly:rolleyes: Might stop him doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Hiitsme

I've seen this gang in action. Robbed a bike in broad daylight from CCC car park (they attempted to steal two). I tried to intervene by telling them to "put it back!!!" and threatening to call the Guards (unfortunately I had left my mobile at home). The thugs ignored me and carried on regardless. They are brazen, they can rob what they like and are getting away with it, there is no one to stop them. I followed them in my car, they made their way to the Porterstown Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭merlynthewizard

you wait till the yellow fingered alcoholic rolly smoking bet heads are all over the place. the end

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@merlynthewizard you've already tried to soapbox your odd agenda this earlier and the thread was closed, let it go

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

you wait till the yellow fingered alcoholic rolly smoking bet heads are all over the place. the end

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

not yet wrote: »
    Just out of interest what lock did you have.

I had one of the curly coiled locks because it's the only type that would go through both wheels(quick release wheels) and the frame/eyehole on the locking point. I also had a U lock on the frame but there's nowhere to secure it to properly at the centre. Probably should have just locked the wheel to the frame with that but hindsight is a great thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I had one of the curly coiled locks because it's the only type that would go through both wheels(quick release wheels) and the frame/eyehole on the locking point. I also had a U lock on the frame but there's nowhere to secure it to properly at the centre. Probably should have just locked the wheel to the frame with that but hindsight is a great thing!

True, I watched a youtube clip recently and the guy said 90% of people don't lock their bike properly. He also said if a scumbag, wants your bike badly enough he will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

As you have (had, sorry) quick release wheels you should remove the front wheel and lock it to the rear wheel and frame.

I like the Sheffield stands (upside down U shape racks) outside Dunnes upstairs as they are quite thick, unlike the stands beside Eddie Rockets/Veritas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cypressg

Hiitsme wrote: »
    I've seen this gang in action. Robbed a bike in broad daylight from CCC car park (they attempted to steal two). I tried to intervene by telling them to "put it back!!!" and threatening to call the Guards (unfortunately I had left my mobile at home). The thugs ignored me and carried on regardless. They are brazen, they can rob what they like and are getting away with it, there is no one to stop them. I followed them in my car, they made their way to the Porterstown Road.
    <SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

That's quite an allegation cypressg, if you have evidence to back it up approach the Gardai with it.

Advertisement