Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with mobile site

Options
  • 09-06-2013 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭

Hi I use the full site on my phone but for the last few days when I open boards it goes to the touch site a lot and I can't stop it. If anyone can help me to just view boards on my iPhone on the full site I would be gratefull

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Can anyone on boards help on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Go to the bottom of the page on the touch site, click the Full Site link to be brought to the desktop site

Danny

I do that and I browse away to my hearts content but when I close the browser and after a while if I try to go back onto boards I am taken back to the mobile site again so I have to go down to the page again and click on full site again. I know it's not a big deal but I find it annoying. Thanks for your help.

There is a problem with retaining cookies on your device then. When you click the full site link a cookie is set via Javascript on your browser. This cookie tells our site to skip the redirection to the touch site since you previously requested the touch site. If it doesn't exist (either by you clearing cookies, operating in Privacy mode, or by it not being set because you have JS disabled) then you will experience what's happening.

Danny

hi Danny
    thanks for the reply, i have my history cleared ,my cookies enabled,i turned off private browsing and i have java enabled as well, i logged out of boards and turned off my phone (iphone4s) . i then turned on my phone and logged into boards and itwas fine for one visit but the it started redirecting me again .even if i get an email notification from boards it will take me to the touch site but it is also now taking me to the first page of the thread so i have to click on last page to view the current comments. any ideas you might have to solve this would be great

• Advertisement

right i have googled.yahood and i have even binged a bit , but i cant find an answer to this. I have cleared my history ,my cookies are enabled , private browsing turned off , logged out logged back in everything i can think of. But i am still getting redirected to the touch site this would not be too bad but i am getting directed to the first page of a thread and when i am a home and on wireless this is annoying but when i am out and on 3g it is a joke . if i get email notification and i click on it on 3g i just give up now and wait until i get home. if anyone can solve this or give me any ideas i will try them

That is determined by the website.

That is determined by the website.

Safari on an iOS device is detected as a mobile browser when visiting a website. For websites that provide a full and mobile version, the mobile version will be provided when a mobile browser is detected by the website.

Such a website should include a show full version link or a always show full version link/option and if so, selecting this should be stored as a cookie so the full version will be provided when visiting the website with Safari on your iPad.

I found the above this morning

Such a website should include a show full version link or a always show full version link/option and if so, selecting this should be stored as a cookie so the full version will be provided when visiting the website with Safari on your iPad.

This is what we do on our touch site, I honestly don't know why it's not working for you. It seems like a device-specific issue, can you try another phone?

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm having this issue on my iPhone too. Only started happening a couple of days ago. It's pretty annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Snap, my ipod has done the same thing. No updates or anything like that applied on my end.

• Advertisement

The problem is not with my phone. I have tried my sim in a different phone and its still doing it. It's redirecting me to the touch site. Which
    I could live with but it's also sending me to the first page
    Of the thread which is very annoying any email notification I get it takes me ages to get to the post especially over 3 g. If I mon the e network I don't even try. The problem has to be with the site

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This seems closer to a bug report at this stage.

Any news on this lads. If I get an email notification of a new post in a thread I'm still getting redirected to the first post oglf the thread on the touch site

Any news on this lads. If I get an email notification of a new post in a thread I'm still getting redirected to the first post oglf the thread on the touch site

Thanks for all the helpful answers. Have to say great job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Thanks for all the helpful answers. Have to say great job

Have you tried another browser besides Safari? Could you post the details contained within www.boards.ie/diagnostics, excluding your IP address if possible please.

Can you provide a sample link aimed at the main site that you're clicking on and are then redirected to the touch site? Also the touch URL you end up on could be handy if possible.

Just to confirm you're clicking on the full site link then browsing the site as normal with no problems, and only after closing the browser / starting a new session the touch-off cookie seems to have been disabled?

I don't know what's happened but in the last few days this has STOPPED my emails and log on is back to normal. Tbtg. Thanks everyone for the help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I don't know what's happened but in the last few days this has STOPPED my emails and log on is back to normal. Tbtg. Thanks everyone for the help:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057027538

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

*slow clap*

Lads this has started again if I get an email notification and I click on it I am directed to the touch site and back to the start of the thread only now it have to keep logging in. Someone please help

Lads this has started again if I get an email notification and I click on it I am directed to the touch site and back to the start of the thread only now it have to keep logging in. Someone please help

Does this happen after clicking on the "Full Site" link in the footer on touch? If so, can you provide the details asked for in post 16 of this thread and we'll take a look into it as soon as possible. Thanks

• Advertisement

If I get an email notification if I click on it . It takes me to the first page of that thread and to the touch site I am also logged out. I click on full site then I have to log in then click on the last post if the thread to see the new post. If I close that window go back into mail see another notification from boards then I have to go thru the whole thing again. I am using an iPhone 4 s. Nobody has being near my settings so I don't think the problem is with the phone

Thanks

I think I solved this one myself. I think I accendently turned on private browsing on my iPhone and it was this that caused the problem. I will check it out when I get a few notifications

I think I solved this one myself. I think I accendently turned on private browsing on my iPhone and it was this that caused the problem. I will check it out when I get a few notifications

Aye, the full site cookie wont be set with private browsing enabled, let us know how you get on.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement