Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Editing .MOV files

• 10-06-2013 12:10am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭

An old chestnut I think!

I've had a quick search through this forum; most of the solutions seem to be a few years old, so I'm reposting in the hope of finding some newer software.

I should video of football matches on a Canon camera; comes out in .MOV format. I had previously used Windows Movie Maker to do highlights when they were shot in .MOD (a different camera). WMM doesn't work with .MOV though.

I've tried -
    • Camtasia - video played slowly, as if caching, in both the editing area and in the published video
    • AVS Video Editor - similar problem, though less exaggerated
    • WinX HD Movie Converter to convert to .wmv - very good conversion, but Movie Maker can't really work with the output file, and clips in the published video will freeze or remain black
    • I have got some success by clipping extracts with Quicktime Pro, saving them as Zumo (?) in Windows Live Movie Maker, importing that into WMM, but I then have to mute the clip (as the sound is compressed to 1/8th length), extract the sound from the clips and import that separately. It's a pain in the hole to be honest! And I have an occasional issue with not being able to overlap sound to account for transition fade
    • Adobe was recommended to me as excellent (can't remember the name now - don't think it was Premiere; another beginning with P). It's used by RTÉ apparently, but seems to be incompatible with .MOV

Any suggestions as to what else I could try? This is driving me mad at this stage; there has to be a way, surely!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

cdeb wrote: »
    [*]Adobe was recommended to me as excellent (can't remember the name now - don't think it was Premiere; another beginning with P).
    Adobe Pinnacle.

Premiere seems quite promising, but I just don't want to shell out money on something that's then not going to work. Dunno if anyone has any experience of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

Adobe Premiere Pro will edit the .mov files, I am using Canon 5d for video and the files coming out of it have the .mov extension. The Premiere is what I would use.

OK; will give it a try; thanks. Is there a trial version available?

***Edit*** - also, I presume this is ok for cutting and assembling bits out of video (match highlights, basically) as opposed to just adding text/graphics, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

They have trial available. Premiere is great for anything, you can edit together the highlights then add little intro, title, background music, plus while editing footage you can fix any sound (like remove the background noise or turn up/down the volume), color, brightness and contrast issues.

To export the video to format needed for Youtube or burning you will use Adobe Media Encoder. I am not sure what packages you will have to get as I am using the Suite, but I'm sure you will research it yourself :) Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

You might not get a lot from the trial version of Adobe Premiere Pro it restricts a lot of the sequence presets and codecs including the one for Digital SLR, so you might struggle with Media Encoder.

I dont know what camera your using, I have a Canon 5D Mk III and it has on the software disc that came with it a small program called Image Browser Ex and Zoom Browser EX a component of these is called MovieEdit Task, i've never used it but it might be of some help if your only doing very basic editing!

• Advertisement

Yeah, in the end, I worked out that on WinX DVD, I should be converting to mpeg files, not wmvs, so I went with that to keep using Windows Movie Maker. Premiere really wasn't intuitive at all tbh; I kept cutting parts out of the video, converting to YouTube and finding it'd convert the whole file still.

I didn't think of looking on the camera discs actually; I'll try that. I've an SX30 IS.

Advertisement