Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF4 Is Finally HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! (PICS/VID)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ya, it's crazy amount of effort they put into a pointless single player campaign. Reminds me of the recent Medal of Honor where they had 1 company on SP and another company (DICE) on MP. Both using completely different game engines.
    I think I played just 10 minutes of the BF3 single player.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

The BF3 single player was "fine". It was the same standard linear shooter campaign that all of these games come with. Not really expecting anything different from the BF4 one. Would be delighted if it was actually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I've always said it - Call of Duty for your single player campaigns, Battlefield for the multiplayer. :)

Cant say the COD single player games are any better.

I was a huge fan of the COD single player campaigns up till & including Modern Warfare. They have all been the same since. Call of Duty 2 has one of the best campaigns i've ever played!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Very hard to get excited about killing an AI character after playing MP - just seems so pointless.

Also games are so easy nowadays that there is no real tension; die and back to where you were 2-3 mins ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

My opinion on single player battlefield is mixed.

Going waaay back to the very first with Codename Eagle it was a dreadfully awful single player game.

And they rightly didnt touch it again until modern combat on the xbox (which I never played)

then bad company 1

which I actually thought was a diamond in the rough as a single player design. The levels were open enough to give players the same sort of freedom to approach a goal as the multiplayer offered. I thought with a bit more work this sort of style of single player would have really complimented the multiplayer.

bad company 2 obviously backtracked all of that to be an on rails shooter in cod's clothes. It did it with a lot of gusto with some clever OCD elements like *collecting guns* but all the freedom was gone and replaced with a solid enough corridor shooter.

Except for one detail

Battlefield 3's single player again dialled down on the interesting elements (the ocd collecting elements now gone too) and took itself far too seriously, really it's only redeeming factor was the same element that made me smile at BC2's single player.

And thats the spawning system.

unlike most of Call of Duty (never picked up black ops 2) which works with a line or clock system where it keeps spawning enemies until the player crosses a certain point in the map or a certain time scale has passed Battlefield actually has a limit on its spawns.

This cuts out what in my opinion was for the most part the biggest most frustrating element of CoD's single player, the A.I essentially forcing you to lead the push forward...in a lot of cases really bad pushes which in the real world would have me responding *nope* The game a lot of the time feels like it punishes you for taking cover and creates that unrelenting feeling.

battlefield in contrast can have the player sticking to the backline of a fight and playing things cautiously and patiently and you wont get trapped in a forever spawning deathtrap because the spawns are either limited or require you to shoot a particular enemy. It never waits on you eternally spawning enemies until you cross an arbitrary line.

Also BF3 has a friend I went to school with playing one of the lead actors so I find most cutscenes with him far more hilarious then they really are.

Battlefield 4 I hoped somewhat from the brief glimpse in the first trailer was going a little ways back to the bad company 1 style where things where a bit more open. The 2nd trailer makes it look like we are sticking firmly in BF3 territory though. Saying that they might have kept a bit of bad company 2's penchent for going LOUD rather then going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I am ashamed to say I've never played Bad Company 1's single player, however I really enjoyed BC2, both single player, and Multiplayer, which brought me the most enjoyment since CS beta, and which I prefere to BF3. Just gimme Bad Company 3 already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

mozattack wrote: »
    Also games are so easy nowadays that there is no real tension; die and back to where you were 2-3 mins ago.

Go play DayZ or even Wasteland sometimes. Actually, no...don't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Very hard to get excited about killing an AI character after playing MP - just seems so pointless.

You cant just generalise like that, as mentioned dayz,wasteland,arma2,arma 3,red orchestra to name a few on PC.
    You seem to forget there is more to gaming than dumbed down tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Latest campaign trailer.

• Advertisement

as much as that trailer looks awesome for cinematic wow *moments* I remind people that the bf3 single player trailer looked pretty awesome a week before launch too:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    as much as that trailer looks awesome for cinematic wow *moments* I remind people that the bf3 single player trailer looked pretty awesome a week before launch too:

I enjoyed the Jet,Tank and Skydive missions but yeah it wasnt great overall.EA should really focus on the multiplayer trailers when advertising on Television imo

I enjoyed the Jet,Tank and Skydive missions but yeah it wasnt great overall.EA should really focus on the multiplayer trailers when advertising on Television imo

This, especially when battlefield provides such amazing 'only in battlefield' moments... No idea why these actual gameplay examples dont make it into TV advertisements.

Fenix wrote: »
    This, especially when battlefield provides such amazing 'only in battlefield' moments... No idea why these actual gameplay examples dont make it into TV advertisements.

uhmm...

you do know the main advert for BF3, the one they showed variations of on tv and in the cinema contained mostly multiplayer footage (not entirely granted) specifically caspian, firestorm and metro:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Fenix wrote: »

Like this?

Eeep! Why have I not seen these? Any BF ads I see are all single player footage / cinematic! Those look awesome though, exactly the stuff I'd love to see more of.

Dcully wrote: »
    You cant just generalise like that, as mentioned dayz,wasteland,arma2,arma 3,red orchestra to name a few on PC.
    You seem to forget there is more to gaming than dumbed down tripe.

I certainly can generalise... thought it was common knowledge that games have made easier nowadays, more saves, closer checkpoints etc. People, myself included, dont have the patience anymore to try the same level countless times.

Obviously you think different to this - fair enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I certainly can generalise... thought it was common knowledge that games have made easier nowadays, more saves, closer checkpoints etc. People, myself included, dont have the patience anymore to try the same level countless times.

Obviously you think different to this - fair enough.

My point is without trying to come across as a PC elitest is your basing your assumption on mainstream console gaming as thats what you play on which is fine.
    So yes you are 100% correct in terms of console gaming with the exception of dark souls for example.
    When you take a look at whats on the PC its a whole different ball game.
    Ofcourse there are plenty of dumbed down games on PC also but mainly the ones available on all platforms.

Dcully wrote: »
    My point is without trying to come across as a PC elitest is your basing your assumption on mainstream console gaming as thats what you play on which is fine.
    So yes you are 100% correct in terms of console gaming with the exception of dark souls for example.
    When you take a look at whats on the PC its a whole different ball game.
    Ofcourse there are plenty of dumbed down games on PC also but mainly the ones available on all platforms.

I was referring to console cos I don't PC so can't judge so presumably you play console as much too if you can in fact judge consoles?

Also anyone saying "without trying to come across as a PC elitest" does in fact do so!!!

Each to their own, I just cant be bothered with single player unless the internet is down or I am in between Battlefields (like now).

I was referring to console cos I don't PC so can't judge so presumably you play console as much too if you can in fact judge consoles?

Also anyone saying "without trying to come across as a PC elitest" does in fact do so!!!

Why do you have to go on the offensive any time anyone makes any point that compares PC to console?

Have you ever played DayZ? If not, then don't say "Also games are so easy nowadays that there is no real tension; die and back to where you were 2-3 mins ago" without specifying you are talking about on console, because these games certainly do exist on PC.

• Advertisement

Why do you have to go on the offensive any time anyone makes any point that compares PC to console?

Have you ever played DayZ? If not, then don't say "Also games are so easy nowadays that there is no real tension; die and back to where you were 2-3 mins ago" without specifying you are talking about on console, because these games certainly do exist on PC.

Great post, thanks.

Great post, thanks.

Why'd you edit your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭hardweir

New map and gameplay coming from jackfrags this friday.

http://mp1st.com/2013/10/23/battlefield-4-flood-zone-gameplay-incoming-friday-xbox-one-ps4-follow/

Lookin forward to some nextgen footage at last. :D

Why'd you edit your post?

Because I can

hardweir wrote: »
    New map and gameplay coming from jackfrags this friday.

http://mp1st.com/2013/10/23/battlefield-4-flood-zone-gameplay-incoming-friday-xbox-one-ps4-follow/

Lookin forward to some nextgen footage at last. :D

Good post, thanks.

Map looks very interesting in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭hardweir

Some gameplay from flood zone-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmNNNeX8h-k

Its all kicking off this weekend with some big youtubers posting lots of gameplay.
    Also the promise of some next gen footage.

Have seen a couple videos from the map, looks like fun. I think it's more of an infantry focused one

Oh wow.

I knew about the flooding but I always assumed it was going to be a rather limited flooding but it looks actually very substantial. That's impressive especially the first half of the video looking forward to the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Have seen a couple videos from the map, looks like fun. I think it's more of an infantry focused one

I'm sure you'd probably find a heli or a feckin' jeep somewhere... :p

• Advertisement

The water looks amazing.

I notice Jack Grags was on the opposing team (yes I paused it) so expect more similar videos to him.

Wonder is Commander mode enabled - doesn't seem to be and at this stage, why not?

Advertisement