Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian guy at Sunday market [Mega Merge]

Options
  • 10-08-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭

The Indian guy in the market does brilliant dishes for around a fiver. Pity he is only there on a Sunday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Indian guy in the market does brilliant dishes for around a fiver. Pity he is only there on a Sunday.
    Meh they are all veggie if im right, had the pea and potato curry once,was grand but fair boring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Meh they are all veggie if im right, had the pea and potato curry once,was grand but fair boring.

They are both vegetatian, the small stall that does the pea and potatoe madras and chipatti's is ok, the guy who does the stuff like filled naan's with a side of salad, curry, riata, his food is epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Seaneh wrote: »

They are both vegetatian, the small stall that does the pea and potatoe madras and chipatti's is ok, the guy who does the stuff like filled naan's with a side of salad, curry, riata, his food is epic.

Yeah he's the guy I'm talking about. Only discovered him a few weeks ago cos I don't usually go to the market on Sundays.
    Food is class alright. You can see he's the real deal by the amount of care he puts into the cooking.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Had some of his stuff today, absolutely fantastic! nom nom nom, I think i'll be one of his regulars from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Mactard wrote: »
    Had some of his stuff today, absolutely fantastic! nom nom nom, I think i'll be one of his regulars from now on.

Where about is this Indian guy?

I was down the market at about 11:30ish and then wasn't any sign of him.

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »

Normally near the gates of St Nics opposite the school.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

He was near the circular bench, by the church railings. I was there at about 2, right before the clouds burst their banks and soaked me through :D

I love Indian food so I had to go back in to town and sample from the guy in the market.

Shared the spinach and onion bhaji and a vegetable spring roll.
    €12 in all, beautiful food and plenty of it; enough to feed two people.

I love Indian food so I had to go back in to town and sample from the guy in the market.

Shared the spinach and onion bhaji and a vegetable spring roll.
    €12 in all, beautiful food and plenty of it; enough to feed two people.

Think I should be his PR guy LOL. Had the Bhaji myself near closing time. 3 huge feckin things with salad/sauce/yogurt etc. etc. for a fiver. Had to have a few Brandys to get the stomach ready before I could start drinking.
    Hadn't realised he changes the menu sometimes.
    Can't see how he makes money though as he makes everything from scratch so it takes him about 15 minutes per order=20euro per hour max. And that's before you take in the cost of ingredients, licence etc.
    Fair play to him though. Long may he continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Guy himself isn't Indian if I'm thinking of same guy. Think he's Scandinavian. But he is a Krsna which is why he does Indian type food. Tends to be at the bottom of the market on the stone square below the St Nicholas Church railings has a tall orange stall which backs onto back of the veg stall. About a stall away from the corner of that group of stalls that sets up around the large veg stall, heading in direction of Bowling Green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Stevolende wrote: »
    Guy himself isn't Indian if I'm thinking of same guy. Think he's Scandinavian. But he is a Krsna which is why he does Indian type food. Tends to be at the bottom of the market on the stone square below the St Nicholas Church railings has a tall orange stall which backs onto back of the veg stall. About a stall away from the corner of that group of stalls that sets up around the large veg stall, heading in direction of Bowling Green.

We're talking about two different stalls. The one you mention is Govindas - lovely food there too, mattar paneer, kitchiri and veg samosas - yum.

The other Indian guy usually sets up across from Govindas near the railings but on Sunday. Something for each day!

So, finally got to check out this Sunday afternoon market guy and food is lovely. Do wish I'd got what was what straight in my head before ordering though, think I would have preferred the Veg Roll thing but the Bhaji mix thing was pretty great.
    He says he changes the menu all the time and is thinking of coming out during the week near Eyre Square.

Was talking to me about how he does everything fresh as opposed to various places keeping a curry going for a week or frying oil going for 10 days or whatever in a vat.
    Wish I'd asked him about the naan oven thing but possibly unlikely he'd want to take something new like that on.What he's doing's nice enough & if he's around more I might be buying off him more. Good value food anyway methinks.

Does anybody know if that Indian food stall outside St Nicholas church is still on the go on a Sunday? I haven't been in there in a while.

Also any idea of his hours of service?

Thanks.

He's still there weekly. I'm just about to head in to grab some food from him.
    Think he'll probably be around tomorrow since it's a bank holiday.

He was supposed to be sorting himself out to come out during the week up near the Dunnes off-licence on Eyre Square too but still doesn't seem to have.

Seems tro be about 1pm to 5 to be safe, he may stay a bit later if he hasn't sold out of stuff. But he has been known to sell out of a couple of popular items on the menu on occasion. Changes menu somewhat every week too.

EDIT (post trip to get dinner from him)
    yeah he said his times were normally 1-6, but I'd get there a lot earlier to make sure he still has everything on th emenu still available.
    & he will be back tomorrow, as he is most Bank Holiday Mondays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

He's there today. I'm an embarrassingly regular customer of his. So much so that he asked me if "everything was okay" today because I hadn't been last week.

:o

Nice selection today, went with the cauliflower pakora and naan.

Who'll help me kidnap him so he'll be here all the time?

That guy needs to open a small cafe. I reckon he'd do a great trade between the amount of hindi people in galway and the amount of veggies with very few options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

That would be great but unfortunately he lives in Mayo. He had a restaurant there but closed it and travels to Galway at the weekend instead.

Went to him around 7 yesterday evening but he was sold out of almost everything. All he had left was Onion Bahjis which he totally refused to let me pay for. That lad is really what Galway is about.

He's done that a few times for me before as well, he's just about the nicest man you are ever likely to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Its nice food alright but its deep fried so a bit too greasy if you're fussy about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement