Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day trip to London

Options
  • 10-06-2013 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

was thinking of popping over to London for the day, coming from Dublin, I do have 3/4 places i plan to visit is it possible to do it for a day? Get an early flight and a late flight back? you'd only need to be at airport 1 hour before hand? or could I book 1 way over and when I get to airport over in london I can book a flight back?

Was on Ryanair website and got a flight for under €100 for return.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

mtjm wrote: »
    I do have 3/4 places i plan to visit is it possible to do it for a day?

It rather depends on what those three or four places are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

serrity wrote: »
    It rather depends on what those three or four places are.

Seconded. Also have you been here before? Just might bit a bit time-savery if you already know your routes... I imagine you want to minimise travelling times and maxmise tourist stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

This might sound strange, I would like to visit madame tussauds and maybe go to 1 other place (I've looked at maps and it's not to far) Airport journeys take about an hour into Oxford Street from either Stansted or lution Airport by coach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

This might sound strange, I would like to visit madame tussauds and maybe go to 1 other place (I've looked at maps and it's not to far) Airport journeys take about an hour into Oxford Street from either Stansted or lution Airport by coach

Would check out waiting time to get into Madame Tussauds always seems to be a massive queue any time I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

It's doable, yes. I'm not sure why anyone would want to get up at silly o'clock, endure a Ryanair flight to London and sit on a bus for an hour to look at wax replicas of celebrities - but each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Insane queues at Madame Tussauds but it's doable indeed; you might end up paying more for a fasttrack ticket (if there is such a thing). You also might be better staying the night in a cheap hostel or air bnb option, you'd be shattered dashing around London in this heat.. but if you must do it on one day then so be it and pay extra for fast tracking and buy a one day travel card

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

From another thread, just to give you an idea:

jc2008 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm the person asking about going to London for a day a few posts back.

I did it on Saturday and it went really well, would recommend it to people (unless it's your first time in London, then you'll need longer!).

Arrived in Stansted at 7.40am. Actually made the 7.55am bus to Stratford, because we sat in very back row of plane, and we were first off! Passport control was completely empty so no waiting time at all.

We got DLR to Royal Docks, and the Emirates Air Line Cable Cars over to the O2 in North Greenwich. From there got River Boat into Westminister. A bit of walking around the sights around the area, and then we went to the Camden Town markets. Then to the Natural History Museum. Then to Harrods, Hyde Park, and went into a lot of the shops on Oxford Street.

We then got something to eat, got a drink, and headed back on the train from Blackfriars to Gatwick for the 9.25pm flight. Again, airport was very quiet, almost no wait at security.

Would definitely recommend it. Surprised by how much time we actually had. Got quite lucky with buses etc. though. Gatwick does seem to be considerably closer to London than Stansted.

If it was possible to fly into Heathrow, you'll get the tube from there on the Picadilly line. http://www.heathrowairport.com/static/Heathrow/Images/Content_images/LHR_Train_Map.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

Why not use air France that fly into the city airport. You will have more time to spend in London and get the tube to madame tussauds.

http://www.londoncityairport.com/visitingtheairport/page/publictransport

Enjoy your day in London

Advertisement