Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC 2013 Maths Paper 2 - Mon. June 10th 2013 - OL and HL

Options
  • 10-06-2013 8:40am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Maths 2 (OL and HL)
    Monday June 10th 2013

All discussion and questions about Maths paper II goes here, following the exam.

Please keep off-topic chat elsewhere.

Good luck all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Wow.

That paper two was too easy. Easy questions .. no theroms .. it was nothing like the sample papers. Wow, really, I think they really don't want anyone to fail maths higher, they made it too easy! The hardest question personally was the ratio question in the end XD. I can't believe I wasted 2 hours today cramming the theroms! Looks like my goal to get a B or higher in maths is becoming more of a reality <3. Hope everyone eles found it easy like I did ... roll on useless subject #10!

I even finished ONE HOUR EARLY. Just wow ... good job SEC *claps*.

(I really hope I wasn't given an ord paper or something.)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭TheSunderz

Wow.

That paper two was too easy. Easy questions .. no theroms .. it was nothing like the sample papers. Wow, really, I think they really don't want anyone to fail maths higher, they made it too easy! The hardest question personally was the ratio question in the end XD. I can't believe I wasted 2 hours today cramming the theroms! Looks like my goal to get a B or higher in maths is becoming more of a reality <3. Hope everyone eles found it easy like I did ... roll on useless subject #10!

Agree with u finished half an hour early it was too easy i believe it was only because its the first year of project maths for junior and leaving cert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wow.

Now maybe you see the reasoning behind the bell curve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ow9654

That was nice compared to Paper 1 its a was too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SirMeow

Coming from somebody who failed the mocks I have to admit Paper 2 for higher level maths was actually pretty handy.......
    I managed to attempt all questions and include equations....
    On paper 2 im hoping I got between 40-70%

Whats your opinion on paper 2?

• Advertisement

Suprisingly way too easy. I smell something fishy ... the SEC would never give an easy maths exam ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ow9654

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭juniorcert

Suprisingly way too easy. I smell something fishy ... the SEC would never give an easy maths exam ...

I felt the same, I felt like there was some trick or something that I didn't see, haha. Maybe they just went easy because it was the first year of project maths.

spurious wrote: »
    Now maybe you see the reasoning behind the bell curve.

Wait does that mean that not everyone who deserved A's will get them this year because there will be too many? :confused:

juniorcert wrote: »
    Wait does that mean that not everyone who deserved A's will get them this year because there will be too many? :confused:
    Sadly, yes. :mad:

• Advertisement

Sadly, yes. :mad:

Ugh that's so unfair :( Wish it was harder now, haha. Do they do the same at leaving cert? :eek: That could mess up people's career choices....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SeanKMooney

To be honest, I thought he Ordinary Level exam was ok.

Ugh that's so unfair :( Wish it was harder now, haha. Do they do the same at leaving cert? :eek: That could mess up people's career choices....
    I'm sure they do it at a certain degree. There's a thread about this, "Junior Cert Marking" I think it's called. ;p Spurious and some other fella explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SeanKMooney

I'm nervous about how there gonna mark it.

I'm nervous about how there gonna mark it.
    Same. That exam was far too easy, i'd say they will mark it very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hofo gin12

Thought it was easy, except Q15. Could have got everything right apart from that:cool:. Decent paper 1, so hopefully they'll mark it very nicely and give me an A!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cheetoo

Maybe it evens out the fact that paper 1 was pretty hard. (...I thought so, anyway?) Or maybe they're trying to make project maths look good. xD

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

Wait so I have less of a chance of getting an A If people do well? :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OisinLAD wrote: »
    Wait so I have less of a chance of getting an A If people do well? :/

You have the same chance of an A as someone had at JC in any other year. That's the point of the bell curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

I have no idea what that means.

• Advertisement

You have the same chance of an A as someone had at JC in any other year. That's the point of the bell curve.

But what if the people in your year are generally smarter than say last year? That would have meant you would have had a greater chance of an A the year before. I really don't get the idea of the bell curve :confused:

But what if the people in your year are generally smarter than say last year? That would have meant you would have had a greater chance of an A the year before. I really don't get the idea of the bell curve :confused:

No you wouldn't have had a greater chance because the marking scheme would have been adjusted to fit the bell curve. You would have had roughly the same chance of an A no matter what year.

Do you want people saying 'Oh you got an A in 2013? Sure wasn't that the year with the simple second paper that the dog would have passed?' or do you want people to know you deserved an A, in line with the standard of previous years' exams?

No you wouldn't have had a greater chance because the marking scheme would have been adjusted to fit the bell curve. You would have had roughly the same chance of an A no matter what year.

Do you want people saying 'Oh you got an A in 2013? Sure wasn't that the year with the simple second paper that the dog would have passed?' or do you want people to know you deserved an A, in line with the standard of previous years' exams?
    Makes sense. I think they should keep the papers the same every year and just change the questions asked, so the marking scheme would be the same and there will be no need for a bell curve. Every year would be the same format so every year gets the value of a grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

I felt the same, I felt like there was some trick or something that I didn't see, haha. Maybe they just went easy because it was the first year of project maths.

That was very easy, only a few tricks. Like rounding up the degrees and minutes to 26 56 not 55, there's a few tricks I can think of like that but yeah it wasn't bad at all. Pretty unhappy the theorems didn't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

The only thing that had my year talking was the Ski guy, and they forgot about that after 20 minutes and just started to "sun bathe".

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

Maths paper 2 was very easy because maths paper 1 was quite difficult, more than what is usually is, in my opinion anyway!

What answer did people get for Q1 part D where it asked how many flagstones are needed to cover the pavement.

LawdyLad wrote: »
    What answer did people get for Q1 part D where it asked how many flagstones are needed to cover the pavement.
    I think I got like 41.25 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

LawdyLad wrote: »

I got 5, but I think it was meant to be 6, like my friend said, because of the 20% waste. That's one of the 3 things I think I got wrong. :P

• Advertisement

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    I got 5, but I think it was meant to be 6, like my friend said, because of the 20% waste. That's one of the 3 things I think I got wrong. :P

I got 5 also. :)

Advertisement