Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Location for Wildlife Photography - Near Dublin

• 10-06-2013 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am heading off to Africa in August to do some wildlife photography. I am renting some big glass and I want to get some practice in using it with a tripod and Gimbal head and also a monopod before I go.

Do any of you have some suggestions on a good location to get some practice in before I go? I am in Dublin so a destination within an hour drive would be idea. I know that the Saltee's would be perfect at this time of year but I don't think I can spend a full day off over the weekend doing this. I am more thinking of 2 or 3 half days.

A friend also suggested Dublin Zoo but as the animals are mostly in smaller encloses I am not sure if I will get enough practice of trying to capture moving animals.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try photographing the squirrels in the Botanic Gardens. Those guys can really move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

Paulw wrote: »
    Try photographing the squirrels in the Botanic Gardens. Those guys can really move.

Thanks Paul, that a really good idea, especially with the challenge of the changing light in the area they hang out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

East coast nature reserve as well - its got hides you can use which might be useful to experience?

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Default.aspx?tabid=226

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

what about bull island, lots of birds at a distance. long grasses/reads etc

bullpost wrote: »
    East coast nature reserve as well - its got hides you can use which might be useful to experience?

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Default.aspx?tabid=226

Thanks Bullpost, I looked at the info on the Birdwatch Ireland site and it appears it is not really open to the public. Instead it is limited to "supervised open days and school visits". I will drop them an email but in your experience is it easy to get access to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Thanks Bullpost, I looked at the info on the Birdwatch Ireland site and it appears it is not really open to the public. Instead it is limited to "supervised open days and school visits". I will drop them an email but in your experience is it easy to get access to?

It is open to the public, that site is a bit out of date. Drive into Newcastle village and take a left towards the sea.

stcstc wrote: »
    what about bull island, lots of birds at a distance. long grasses/reads etc

Thanks STCSTC thats also a good suggestion to add to the list

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    It is open to the public, that site is a bit out of date. Drive into Newcastle village and take a left towards the sea.

Thanks pixbyjohn, I will try that next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

While I would normally recommend Newcastle it is deserted at the moment, not much action there at all, though if you take a walk along the coast either from Kilcoole end or from Newcastle towards Kilcoole you will find much more, the terns are nesting there at the moment and they give fantastic aerial displays.

Also nearer to home Pheonix park deer, squirrel and jays are always there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

The other thing to do might be to go to Glendalough (Upper Lake) or Lough Dan to get Deer images. The terrain , particularly around Glendalough , might be interesting to experience as it will be trickier than Phoenix Park. Example image from Flickr (not mine!):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16431636@N07/7368706634/in/photolist-ce9xL7-cGevFW-dfUpJr-dtRnxd-dtRnBq-dtKPo4-dtRnp5-dtKPd4-9BWkMo-9BWkys-9BWkfQ-9BTo4e-9sa7Nr-9BTpca-9BWf4u-9BWknm-esxGWY-dfk6bf-dnhr3U-dfk67G-9B7Wom-ctaUzy-9BWgsN-dP5nNY-dNYXWz-bCBDWj-8SmbYr-8Smdjx-8SpiWN-e6jP29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Just an FYI, be sure to bring a mid-range Tele (something in the 28-80 range) as in the case of many of the 'Big 5', a wide-angle may better lend itself to the shot. I took a 100-400mm on a tour of the Kruger Park, and it times it really felt like overkill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

There are 2 hides on Rogerstown estuary in North Dublin. One can be accessed from Turvey avenue which is just on the Donabate Rd from Blakes Cross or opposite the new Centra fuel station.

The other hide can be accessed from Balleally lane which is off the Main Rd between Blakes cross and Lusk. Take a right and its about 1 mile down towards Balleally landfill site. Only a small sign on gate and its a walk of about 400-500 meters to the hide. Plenty of wildlife on both sides of estuary.

Rogerstown estuary in Rush which is a good site has a lot of birds. I dont know their names but herons, shellducks and I believe a kingfisher. Behind the estuary is close to where Red kites were introduced about 2 years ago and they are often seen.

Phoenix Park for some deer would also be good practice or a race meeting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

LeoB wrote: »
    There are 2 hides on Rogerstown estuary in North Dublin. One can be accessed from Turvey avenue which is just on the Donabate Rd from Blakes Cross or opposite the new Centra fuel station.

The other hide can be accessed from Balleally lane which is off the Main Rd between Blakes cross and Lusk. Take a right and its about 1 mile down towards Balleally landfill site. Only a small sign on gate and its a walk of about 400-500 meters to the hide. Plenty of wildlife on both sides of estuary.

Rogerstown estuary in Rush which is a good site has a lot of birds. I dont know their names but herons, shellducks and I believe a kingfisher. Behind the estuary is close to where Red kites were introduced about 2 years ago and they are often seen.

Phoenix Park for some deer would also be good practice or a race meeting

Rogerstown is a lovely spot although requires a very long lens to make the most out of the view over the Estuary! THe approach path to the southern hide is a great place to view all sorts of small birds like tits and the like in large numbers and up close.

The Red Kites are there alright although a few months back a ranger came along in a car and explained that there had unfortunately been attempts to shoot them down in the area.

TelePaul wrote: »
    Just an FYI, be sure to bring a mid-range Tele (something in the 28-80 range) as in the case of many of the 'Big 5', a wide-angle may better lend itself to the shot. I took a 100-400mm on a tour of the Kruger Park, and it times it really felt like overkill!

Hi TelePaul, I am bringing 400mm glass as we are going to Tanzania and you don't get as close to the animals there. Was planning to have a second body with 70-200 and a 16-35 in the bag to cover all the bases. But may also throw in the 24-70.

My biggest issue at the moment is support for the glass. everywhere we go has different types of jeeps, some fully open, others full enclosed with pop tops. However I am pretty sure I have that one solved with Monopod, Superclamps and then bean bags.

Thanks for the advice

tororosso wrote: »
    Rogerstown is a lovely spot although requires a very long lens to make the most out of the view over the Estuary! THe approach path to the southern hide is a great place to view all sorts of small birds like tits and the like in large numbers and up close.

The Red Kites are there alright although a few months back a ranger came along in a car and explained that there had unfortunately been attempts to shoot them down in the area.

Thanks Tororosso, sounds like an ideal spot, will definitely check it out.

Advertisement