Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public transport from Heuston Station to Botanic Gardens?

Options
  • 10-06-2013 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Looking for some info. please on how to get to the Botanic Gardens from Heuston Station. Train gets in at 8am and need to be at the Botanic Gardens at 9am. Does anyone know the easiest way (and cheapest?) way to get there? I presume I'd make it in an hour from Heuston? And I am guessing a taxi would be fairly expensive..so if anyone knows any buses or anything and where I could get them from? I am not v. familiar with the area so directions-for-dummies re: bus-stops would be very much appreciated.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Taxi would be about 15 euro I reckon...

LUAS to Abbey St and then bus (9/13 got that way) but I don't know if you would make it in under an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to www.a-b.ie and put in the exact locations, date and time. It is about 4.3km, which is about an hour's walk for a fit adult with no luggage.

You could go as far as Church Street (Four Courts Luas = €1.60 each way or €3.10 return or bus route 90 or 145 = €1.80 or €1.65 each way) and get the 83 or 83a (€2.15 each way) which drop you to the Botanic Gardens gate or go to O'Connell Street (Abbey Street Luas or bus route 90 or 145) and get the 4 or 9. The 13 actually drops you a distance away from the Botanic Gardens. It should take 20-40 minutes by bus / tram and bus.

You could get a Dublin Bus Rambler ticket, which is valid on the vast majority of Dublin Bus services (but not on Luas). http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/ or alternatively, consider a Leap Card, which would knock about 15% off the cash fares.

Taxi should be €7.50-11.00, but more if you get stuck in traffic or have extra people. http://transportforireland.ie/taxi/fare-estimator/ Probably best to go via Church Street, not North Circular Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Or seeing as the weather is nice you could do a combination of bus and walk. From Hueston head towards the new Criminal Courts and turn right at Infirmary Road where at the top the 46a bus starts its route. It is about an 8-10 minute walk from Hueston to the 46a stop. The 46a departs every 8-10 minutes so is quite frequent and you shouldn't have to wait very long. From there stay on it for about 6-7 minutes until you get to Phibsboro. From there the Botanic Gardens is a 1.4km 15-17 minute walk.

It is obviously not door to door but it is about the only way I can see of being guaranteed of doing it in under an hour and without using a taxi. You have the alternative to get the 83 bus in Phibsboro which goes right by the gate of the Botanic Gardens but it is not that frequent of a bus so I wouldn't rely on it, better to walk the 6 or 7 stops than to wait on a bus to arrive.Or you could look at the electronic information sign outside Phibsboro Shopping Center stop and it will tell you how many minutes the next 83 will be, if it is less than 5 minutes then wait, if over then walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Thank you all very much.

Advertisement