Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry level surfboard for 10 yo -and parents

Options
  • 10-06-2013 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend a cheap entry level board for a 10 year old that will also suit an adult 14-15 stone weight?

The kid had one surf lesson and wants to try it some more.

Edit: just want something durable that doesn't need too much minding.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauld81

Probably best going for a Foam Board like Storm Rider or Swell, great for learning, safer, last forever but not as aesthetically pleasing... If you do go down the road of big hard board, probably avoid Bic, their big boards are a bit to thick, cumbersome and unresponsive = no learning.
    Its debatable but the cheapest learner boards and packages in the country are up in Bundoran. And if you want to buy a foamy best approach one of the surf schools and buy second hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

you wouldn't expect the 10y old to wear the same cloths as you, get them a cheap foam board to learn on and then something like a min mal or bic for you to learn on. And don't mind the bic bashers I've seen people pull of some very good moves on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Can anybody recommend a cheap entry level board for a 10 year old that will also suit an adult 14-15 stone weight?

The kid had one surf lesson and wants to try it some more.

Edit: just want something durable that doesn't need too much minding.

Forget epoxy or fibreglass - that requires too much minding, and is generally not "cheap". That leaves plastic / acs - for example, Bic - or foam. As the previous poster said, do not mind the Bic bashers...they are very durable and great for learning on. I think the Bic 7ft3 is the biggest selling surfboard of all time. Not too difficult to get secondhand for less than €200.

There is a lot to be said for a foam surfboard, especially for the 10 year old. Safer if it hits them or someone else. Price around. They can be got from €120. Last time I looked Sunset in Sligo was cheaper than Bundoran by about a tenner per board for the same board. ( Vision ). The great thing about foamies is that they can be traded in or sold on future years if so desired. It can be hard to get them second hand.

You might be right about Bic 7ft's having the best sales figures, but in practice and real world I've found trying to coach people to progress is next to impossible as the board is completely unresponsive because it's to thick.. As similar to Vision boards that are very thick and too narrow, we had to return 20 of them because learners couldn't even lye on them!!

I would highly recommend other Epoxy and Plastic board manufactures like NSP, Circle One, etc as they have actually evolved their design with consultation and product testing, the Bic brio pen hasn't changed much..!

Plus your dead right about the maintenance side, kids and fibreglass don't mix!! :)

8ft Sola softboards for sale. Last years rentals. Great for beginners learning to surf. €120. Finnegans Shop Rossnowlagh, Co. Donegal
    https://www.facebook.com/finnegansshop.rossnowlagh/posts/652792324750450

• Advertisement
Advertisement