Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front and back garden CCTV cameras over wi-fi

Options
  • 10-06-2013 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've never had an electronic alarm system in my house. I've a very alert and aggressive (sounding) dog who goes mental if anyone approaches the house. She's a cross between a Labrador and Alsation so looks and sounds like she'd rip you apart but she's a big softie really. I believe burglars just move on to an easier target when they hear the racket she makes. I also have a false alarm 'box' installed to give the impression I have a security alarm but it's just an empty box.

We've had some break-ins on our street recently and I want to enhance my dog based security by installing external mounted CCTV cameras to monitor our front garden and parked cars (some vandalism over the years) and also our back garden as burglars have climbed over back walls in other houses to gain access.

I am handy enough when it comes to setting up devices and have an excellent wifi router providing a strong signal throughout the house and immediately outside. I have a 2TB nas which is hidden away so could easily be used to store a revolving 24/48 hours of recordings.

The tricky piece would be getting power outside to to where I want to mount the cameras but I'm confident I'll be able to do it.

I don't know anything about CCTV so I guess I'm looking for a steer in terms of how best to set up what I want to do, what kit to buy etc etc. I've looked in Amazon and eBay etc but don't have the experience to tell the difference between what looks good and what is actually good.

Appreciate and advice you can give me.

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

^^^ bump. Would appreciate some thoughts on the above.

Ben

^^^ 114 views and not a single contribution. Is this really what Boards is now like? This is a first for me :o

Ben

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its really down to what you want to spend.
    If your running power out to the cameras you might as well run the video as well.
    If your going for IP you can power the cameras via the same Ethernet connection using a POE switch.
    As you seem to have everything else this may be the way to go, however good IP cameras are more expensive . Take a look at the suppliers list here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748
    Somewhere like EyeSpy CCTV in Ballymount would be a good starting point .
    They are very helpful towards end users like yourself.

thanks KK, I appreciate the steer.

Ben

Advertisement