Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a good graphic design evening / part-time course around Dublin

Options
  • 10-06-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, I'm new here on boards.

I am pretty career confused at the moment. I work freelance doing some cad & graphics work at the moment, however the work is very irregular and I would like to return to part or full time employment. My experience and education are however connected to the construction industry - interior design, architecture, planning and urban design - where there are no jobs to be found at the moment.

I have an interior design diploma, a degree in fine art and was thinking of getting some graphic design education as I have noticed there are quite a few jobs in that field. In my last job, I did a lot of technical graphics work (connected to architecture and urban design - site plans, masterplans, but also cover pages for reports). I have a working knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop and some InDesign (I know just knowing how to use the software doesn't make me a graphic designer).

I have found what looks like a fantastic MA course in DIT (in Professional Design Practice), however it is quite pricey at almost 7,500 euro for one year full-time. Would anyone know of a good shorter course in graphic design (in a college of further education or something) where I can build up my portfolio with commercial graphics like logos, layouts, marketing material, etc.? I have noticed that for most jobs, the employer is more interested in portfolios, rather than education. Is this true? And is it a good idea to go ahead and do graphic design? Are there enough jobs in this area? Any help and opinions would be most appreciated. Thank you so much.

I'm based in county Kildare, btw and would travel to Dublin.

Advertisement