Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surprise in a Growing Bag

• 10-06-2013 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I've a couple of not used organic growing bags left over from last year and I was going to use them to fill a planter I've just made out of a pallet when I got a nasty surprise: inside there are small pieces of
    glass, plastic, plastic bag, laminated woods and probably more undesirable items.

I don't think it's the normal content of a growing bag, Anyone noticed something similar?
    A quick google did not give me any hint, so maybe I'm just unlucky and only my bags ware affected but still I'm not impressed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Have heard of such things. You should return it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

redser7 wrote: »

I was going to post something similiar. I keep buying bags of westmoreland or other compost and always getting not pure compost but sticks etc
    Even had them in seed compost!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

redser7 wrote: »

Now it's too late for this, bought last year and don't have the receipt anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no harm to send them an email enquiring about it.
    they may source it from something similar like our brown bin system - which means contamination is unfortunately inevitable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Steve_hooo wrote: »
    I've a couple of not used organic growing bags left over from last year and I was going to use them to fill a planter I've just made out of a pallet when I got a nasty surprise: inside there are small pieces of
    glass, plastic, plastic bag, laminated woods and probably more undesirable items.

I don't think it's the normal content of a growing bag, Anyone noticed something similar?
    A quick google did not give me any hint, so maybe I'm just unlucky and only my bags ware affected but still I'm not impressed.

We had a similar problem when getting in a ton bag of screened topsoil 2 years ago from a reputable supplier.

The topsoil had shards of greenhouse glass in and lots of old roots from the various veg and fruit plants.
    We took a pic of all the glass and roots we picked out of the bag,and we also brought a sample of the glass shards and roots to the supplier.
    They were shocked when they saw the amount of glass and roots and were so sorry for what had happened.

They told us that a truck full of topsoil had somehow eveaded the screening process,as they found another 2 bags in their yard with similar shards of glass in them..

They appoligised to us,gave us a full refund on the spot and also got a fully screened ton bag of clean topsoil delievered to us that same day for free.
    The supplier also gave us access to several tons of manure too,if we needed it.:)

So my advice would be to take a few pics of the grow bag (for email purposes),and if possible take the grow bag back to where to got it and ask for another bag or/and a refund for your troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Steve_hooo wrote: »
    I've a couple of not used organic growing bags left over from last year ...

What brand was it?

I use Growise, the BNM brand. I find it very good quality. I've been to their production plant and it's top notch. They also won awards from Which in the UK when supplying B&Q with their own brand (a few years ago, I dunno if they still supply them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

You should report it to whoever regulates the product, and to health and safety.
    One nick of that to you or an unsuspecting kid could be quite serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

What brand was it?

I use Growise, the BNM brand. I find it very good quality. I've been to their production plant and it's top notch. They also won awards from Which in the UK when supplying B&Q with their own brand (a few years ago, I dunno if they still supply them).

It's a supermarket brand name. I'll PM you the name because as I did not see any report anywhere else I just presume the issue is/was only with my bags and not widespread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Honestly the amount of very poor compost being sold is unbelievable.

This year I have only used the John Innes Compost from B&Q and in terms of quality , there is no comparison to a lot of the other brands, found no sticks or large debris, and I find it to be better for the plants.

I cant seem to find any irish brands selling proper John Innes Compost.
    There is one brand that has something like "with added John Innes" written on it that just confused me more.

Honestly the amount of very poor compost being sold is unbelievable.

This year I have only used the John Innes Compost from B&Q and in terms of quality , there is no comparison to a lot of the other brands, found no sticks or large debris, and I find it to be better for the plants.

I cant seem to find any irish brands selling proper John Innes Compost.
    There is one brand that has something like "with added John Innes" written on it that just confused me more.

Westland with John Innes is good compost.

Bought a good few bags of it in Tesco a while back at 3 euro 70 cents per 50 litre bag.

Currently use it for potting up and potting on and then the general multi purpose for around the garden,when needed/wanted/
    ....(add in some manure,grit and food to it).:)

GroWize John Innes is also another good make...Irish too.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Westland with John Innes is good compost.

Bought a good few bags of it in Tesco a while back at 3 euro 70 cents per 50 litre bag.

Currently use it for potting up and potting on and then the general multi purpose for around the garden,when needed/wanted/
    ....(add in some manure,grit and food to it).:)

GroWize John Innes is also another good make...Irish too.
    Im just wondering how you add "John Innes" .
    Since to the best of my knowledge John Innes is Compost Manufactured to specific ratios of Loam, peat, sand/grit and fertiliser. These ratios vary depending on its purpose - eg sowing-seedling-mature etc etc.

So how does adding "John Innes" work ? A scoop or two of John Innes in with their bog standard compost ?

Proper John Innes Compost has a number following it eg 1,2,3,4 depending on its usage.

Im just wondering how you add "John Innes" .
    Since to the best of my knowledge John Innes is Compost Manufactured to specific ratios of Loam, peat, sand/grit and fertiliser. These ratios vary depending on its purpose - eg sowing-seedling-mature etc etc.

So how does adding "John Innes" work ? A scoop or two of John Innes in with their bog standard compost ?

Proper John Innes Compost has a number following it eg 1,2,3,4 depending on its usage.

Yep,its basicly mixed up in a ratio of compost to John Innes and then bagged up.

Yep,its basicly mixed up in a ratio of compost to John Innes and then bagged up.
    Works counter to the whole idea behind John Innes composts, but that's their problem not mine.

I see on their website they do produce dedicated John Innes composts 1-4. But I have actually never seen them for sale.

Works counter to the whole idea behind John Innes composts, but that's their problem not mine.

I see on their website they do produce dedicated John Innes composts 1-4. But I have actually never seen them for sale.

Tullys,Plantagen,Howth Garden Centre.

Tullys,Plantagen,Howth Garden Centre.
    Ok I should clarify , Never seen it for sale in cork city.

Ok I should clarify , Never seen it for sale in cork city.

Sure Dublin is only up the road......:pac::pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

It's still a great compost though. I got a few bags recently when they were on offer in Woodies and it's so much finer than any of the other regular composts.

Advertisement