Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottling question.

Options
  • 10-06-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have been brewing for years but want to improve final product.
    The last couple of beer kits I bottled were good but too gassy.
    I'm guessing too much sugar at bottling or not finished fermenting.
    This time I want to batch prime with normal white sugar.

A while ago I used to move the beer off the yeast after 7 days and leave to settle for a day before bottling, this gave a nice clear beer. Is this good/bad idea?

Should I move the beer off the yeast into a second 5 gal barrel first and leave to settle then add the sugar/water mix?

Also kegging? I have done stout before so flat ish was ok, but what about beer? how to get a better fizz?

Thanks
    James

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

jamesbil wrote: »
    A while ago I used to move the beer off the yeast after 7 days and leave to settle for a day before bottling, this gave a nice clear beer. Is this good/bad idea?
    I'd give it a minimum two weeks fermenting, just to let the yeast clean up after itself. It could be that your beer is too gassy because fermentation hasn't quite finished after only eight days.
    Also kegging? I have done stout before so flat ish was ok, but what about beer? how to get a better fizz?
    Corny keg is probably your best bet: something that keeps the beer under pressure so it doesn't go flat as the keg empties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

A much easier bottling question here: can you recap twistys with a capper?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Two weeks sounds a lot for a beer kit, wont it spoil if left after the fermentation has stopped.
    Do you batch prime BeerNut?

Corny kegs are a bit above my budget, I have a standard plastic keg with a s30 valve.

gosplan wrote: »
    A much easier bottling question here: can you recap twistys with a capper?
    You can, I believe, but I wouldn't trust them to stay sealed.
    Two weeks sounds a lot for a beer kit, wont it spoil if left after the fermentation has stopped.
    No. Bottle conditioned beer keeps for years after the fermentation has stopped. You can run the risk of autolysis causing off flavours if you leave the beer in the fermenter too long, but I'm told that's not a danger until six or seven weeks in. Two to four weeks is absolutely fine and I wouldn't ferment for any less.
    Do you batch prime BeerNut?
    I do. Like this.

Thats a great guide thanks.
    It doesnt talk of rinsing the bottles, I assume this is necessary, unless the bleach and vinegar at this dilution wont kill the beer?

• Advertisement

Bleach and vinegar is no-rinse. You'll just wash the cleanness off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

You should only rack off the primary when it has finished fermenting. Use your hydrometer to check if the gravity has changed over a couple of days, and if it is what you expect.

It is a bad idea to bottle before fermentation has finished.
    It is a good idea to rack off prior to bottling.
    It is a better idea to rack again from your secondary back into the original cleaned and sanitised fermenter onto your priming solution.

What's a bottling wand and us it necessary?

I've an auto-syphon and figure on putting the bottles down and filling them all.

Can you temporarily stop an auto syphon or am I going to end up with beer all over the bottles and the ground from moving the tube from bottle to bottle?

A bottling bucket with a tap is probably best then, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

I've an auto-syphon and figure on putting the bottles down and filling them all.

Can you temporarily stop an auto syphon or am I going to end up with beer all over the bottles and the ground from moving the tube from bottle to bottle?

Did you not get a bottle filling stick with your starter kit? That's what I use.

Devi wrote: »
    Did you not get a bottle filling stick with your starter kit? That's what I use.

Yup. I'm hoping that this and a bottle brush will be enough to go round first time?

• Advertisement

I had a great syphon years ago, cant remember what it was called.

It was orange and had a tap that fitted into a bottle neck, so beer went from barrel into 1st bottle (tap stayed on this) then out and into next bottles.
    The bottle neck tap was press on/off.
    As the beer was syphoned thru 1st bottle most sediment stayed in this leaving the rest of the beer very clear. Very easy to use and no mess.

I have searched many times and never found one. Anyone know what its called?

Hollow stick with a spring-loaded valve on the end. It stops and starts the flow as required, gives the correct headspace in each bottle and minimises splashing, reducing he risk of oxidation. It's not necessary but you'd be mad not to use one.
    Can you temporarily stop an auto syphon
    I suppose you could pinch off the end, or cover it with your thumb, but it'll be awkward. If you're determined to do it this way I strongly recommend testing your method with water before risking it with beer.
    am I going to end up with beer all over the bottles and the ground from moving the tube from bottle to bottle?
    I'd say so. And unevenly filled bottles, and splashed beer.
    I use a bottling wand on an auto-syphon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I bottled with the auto-syphon method for the first time last month. I got a couple of bottles that weren't completely filled and a bit of beer splashed around the floor but it was very, very quick. Not sure if I'll do it again, I was in a rush that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

BeerNut wrote: »
    gives the correct headspace in each bottle

How does the bottling wand give the correct headspace? You still have to be careful to pull up the wand when you want to stop filling. It's great for controlling the flow and preventing splashing but you still have to control the headspace yourself.

matrim wrote: »
    How does the bottling wand give the correct headspace?
    The space the wand occupies when filling becomes your headspace when you take it out.
    matrim wrote: »
    You still have to be careful to pull up the wand when you want to stop filling.
    If you take the wand out before the bottle is completely full you'll have too much headspace, and unless you're very skilled your headspace will vary from bottle to bottle. If you fill to the overflow point you'll have uniform perfect headspace in every bottle. Archimedes said so.

The space the wand occupies when filling becomes your headspace when you take it out.

If you take the wand out before the bottle is completely full you'll have too much headspace, and unless you're very skilled your headspace will vary from bottle to bottle. If you fill to the overflow point you'll have uniform perfect headspace in every bottle. Archimedes said so.

I always thought the headspace left when you take the wand out was too small and was afraid if I didn't leave a bit more I could get a blowout.

If the space left by the wand is enough then that will make my next bottling alot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

The bottling wand is a pressure activated (press down - it is spring loaded) device to control the flow of beer etc from a siphon.

I prefer it to the tap on a fermenter or bottling bucket. It gives less mess filling, less oxidation, and the siphon can be cleaned independently of the fermenter tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Last few wands ive boughy have beem crap though. Either the wand was connected to a short ass piece of tubing or the spring action was messed up.

Gone to filling with a syphon with a little tap thing.

ok bottling day, will milton and vinegar do the same for the no rinse clean?

:confused: I wouldn't have thought so. Milton on its own requires rinsing, doesn't it? I don't see how it would be made no-rinse by adding vinegar.

• Advertisement

It's thin bleach and vinegar to create the no rinse sanitiser. See http://www.beoir.org/community/viewtopic.php?t=196

AFAIK milton can be used on it's own as a sanitiser but it requires rinsing.

great will go for thick bleach and vinegar as a no rinse sanitiser.

That was a typo on my part. Thin bleach

I use the Tesco value one, it's about 70c

NOOOO! Thin! It must be thin.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

joking, I got thin :))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

:confused: I wouldn't have thought so. Milton on its own requires rinsing, doesn't it? I don't see how it would be made no-rinse by adding vinegar.

Milton is just thin bleach diluted down by 2 again. They have some magic to prevent it clouding up like if you diluted thin bleach yourself, and won't somebody think of the children, so it's marked up hugeley in price

So you'ld use twice as much Milton as thin bleach

Advertisement