Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger 10/22 Accuracy

Options
  • 10-06-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Here’s my Ruger 10/22

It’s a standard 10/22 apart from the stock. The setup suits me perfect – its light, compact and very easy to carry.

My problem is it’s not the most accurate and the trigger is a pig. I’ve been doing a bit of reading and the Kidd trigger seems to get the best reviews.

Questions:
    How much for a single stage Kidd trigger in Ireland?
    Can you get a better barrel in the same dimensions as the original and how much? (I don’t want to change the stock)
    Best options or any other ideas on improving accuracy?

CS
    rugerk.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Here’s my Ruger 10/22

It’s a standard 10/22 apart from the stock. The setup suits me perfect – its light, compact and very easy to carry.

My problem is it’s not the most accurate and the trigger is a pig. I’ve been doing a bit of reading and the Kidd trigger seems to get the best reviews.

Questions:
    How much for a single stage Kidd trigger in Ireland?
    Can you get a better barrel in the same dimensions as the original and how much? (I don’t want to change the stock)
    Best options or any other ideas on improving accuracy?

CS

You can get a Kidd trigger here for about €325 and the barrel at €250.
    Kidd do a Ruger trigger upgrade kit don't know how much it is here but on their site it's $100 or so.
    The best bang for your buck is a trigger as the Ruger trigger as fitted is a pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Thanks Clive

I actually put a volquartsen trigger kit into it a while back, it brought the pull weight down a bit but its still bad!
    I know its a hard question but if i go down the road of buying a trigger now will i have to get a barrel as well to see the benefits or will the trigger do on its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Lovely looking Ruger! Didn't know the factory trigger wasn't great on them, I have a buckmark rifle, trigger is very light n crisp, was looking at a 10/22 to customize!

Thanks Clive

I actually put a volquartsen trigger kit into it a while back, it brought the pull weight down a bit but its still bad!
    I know its a hard question but if i go down the road of buying a trigger now will i have to get a barrel as well to see the benefits or will the trigger do on its own?

As you may know I do a lot of competition shooting with my 10/22. Now I find any time I try to shoot an out-of-the-box Ruger 10/22 I can't shoot it at all. And it's all down to that trigger.
    It is just way to heavy and I'm off target as I pull the trigger because you don't know when it's going to let go and fire. Whereas the Kidd trigger, with a 1.5lb break, you just think about firing and it's already gone :D:D:D.

No you won't need to get the barrel changed as well. But that would be next on the list IF you need really tight shooting. But that's not required for hunting IMO if the groups aren't bad now.

The only Ruger part I now have is the action with the serial number still on it, all the rest is custom Kidd. :P:P:P

Made a few more mods after these photos were taken

f79caf2f.jpg

OnTargetgroupingresult_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

How much do the Timney triggers run in Eire? Link.

I have them on my 700's but not the 10/22. For the price, the Timney's cannot be beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

I didnt know you could get a timney for the 10/22? Iv recently switched to a Kidd single stage and have come to the conclusion its definitly top of the range! Expensive but definitlely the best mod you can do, And if I was starting a build it would be the first modification to do1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

FISMA wrote: »
    How much do the Timney triggers run in Eire? Link.

I have them on my 700's but not the 10/22. For the price, the Timney's cannot be beat.

Cant be got here, & if you mention putting a Timney in a10 22 , its like committing treason with the cadre, I am a big fan of Timney also and would like to try one in my Ruger, it made a huge differance in the .223 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Cant be got here, & if you mention putting a Timney in a10 22 , its like committing treason with the cadre, I am a big fan of Timney also and would like to try one in my Ruger, it made a huge differance in the .223 :)

Did a quick bit of 10/22 trigger research talk about rip of Ireland ....
    Timney trigger USA = $220 =€166
    " " UK = £180 =€211
    " " Eire = Not available
    KIDD Trigger USA = $235 = €177
    " " UK = £249 = €292
    " " Eire = € 325

Seriously considering getting the Kidd trigger - whats the pros/ cons between the Single Stage and the Two Stage trigger ??

Seriously considering getting the Kidd trigger - whats the pros/ cons between the Single Stage and the Two Stage trigger ??

I had the two stage and sold it to get the single stage.
    Single stage is that little better IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

clivej wrote: »
    I had the two stage and sold it to get the single stage.
    Single stage is that little better IMO

You can adjust the two stage trigger to be even more sensitive than the single stage trigger. That's one difference that I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

For anything Ruger try Tannyoky in Poyntzpass, Newry supplies a lot of Ruger stuff from Rimfire Magic.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You can adjust the two stage trigger to be even more sensitive than the single stage trigger. That's one difference that I can think of.

That is a difference but having had and used both a lot I found the single trigger that little better over the two stage.

Also you won't find many Kidd two stage triggers on the competition firing line

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

That is a difference but having had and used both a lot I found the single trigger that little better over the two stage.

Also you won't find many Kidd two stage triggers on the competition firing line

Not true Clive, in fact most of the Kidd triggers I see used in Gallery rifle competitions ARE 2 stage. There's six 2 stages at my range and only one single stage. The single stage is out only a year or two, while I have my Kidd 2 stage well over six years now and wont be changing, having tried the single stage several times. People would need to try both and decide for themselves which they prefer. I certainly don't think the single stage is "better" or I would have one. :)

I think the main difference is the the length of pull or time, basically instead of splitting the weight between two stages and pulling through, As soon as you have applied the 1lb or whatever the shot goes off, As Clive said to me when i was looking at both by the time you have thought about firing the shot it has gone off!

I recently switched to the Kidd Single Stage and wouldnt go back! Single handedly the best upgrade iv done to the rifle and the one that will make the biggest difference to your shooting!

10/10 In my opinion!

Tannyoky Stock a lot of upgrades for the 10/22 BUT not Kidd parts plenty of Volquartsen but no Kidd unfortunately!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

cw67irl wrote: »
    As soon as you have applied the 1lb or whatever the shot goes off

That sounds awfully high. Is there a minimum trigger weight?

The Kidd Single stage is 1.5lbs and non-adjustable. I set my 2 stage at 9oz first and 3oz second and it never goes off unless I want it to.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Lemon3 wrote: »
    The Kidd Single stage is 1.5lbs and non-adjustable. I set my 2 stage at 9oz first and 3oz second and it never goes off unless I want it to.

Yeah, those weights you have would be closer to what I'm used to. Mine breaks at 45g (~1.5oz) last time I checked so roughly 10 times that (1lb) seemed a little high. I just wasn't sure what would be common practice for gallery rifle or if there was a minimum weight.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Yeah, those weights you have would be closer to what I'm used to. Mine breaks at 45g (~1.5oz) last time I checked so roughly 10 times that (1lb) seemed a little high. I just wasn't sure what would be common practice for gallery rifle or if there was a minimum weight.

Single comes set at 1.5lb as the lowest & two stage 6oz & 6oz as lowest from Kidd I think.

Single comes set at 1.5lb as the lowest & two stage 6oz & 6oz as lowest from Kidd I think.

Kidd two stage can be set to 3oz and 3oz

• Advertisement

Most military rifles have two stages - you "pick-up" the slack, apply more pressure, then it fires.

Many shooters prefer no slack and for the trigger to break like glass. That is, no bending, no give, no play. It either breaks or does not.

It is really down to personal preference.

For hunting, I like the single stage.

Ordered a single stage trigger from Harbour guns and will have it Thursday.

Ordered a single stage trigger from Harbour guns and will have it Thursday.

Best move you could make and Harbour-Guns are very good to deal with

Really?,
    What's the rationale for a Kidd over a Timney? In the States, we love the Timney triggers. Until I can afford Jewels, the rifles get Timneys.

I wonder if the problem is simply availability?

Don't get me wrong, I love Kidd's stuff too and just may pick up one of their high end rifles some day, after the next LA Sako.:) But, $ for $, Timney is the name over here when it comes to triggers.

Has anyone here put a Timney on their 10/22?

I didnt realise timmney did triggers for a 10/22 until I saw this, One sold on ebay in the last couple of days around the 100stg mark!

cw67irl wrote: »
    I didnt realise timmney did triggers for a 10/22 until I saw this, One sold on ebay in the last couple of days around the 100stg mark!

Was it used? You cannot get one over here for £100 = $155.00.

It looked to be used but mint condition, He seemed to selling all the custom parts from the rifle!!

Advertisement