Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths backup / alternative ways of meeting college maths requirements

• 10-06-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all , I was curious as to an issue I was having
    And I was hoping you guys could help me out.
    I am currently in the process of doing my Leaving Certificate
    I did really well in my English and Geography both Honors , without a doubt an A or a B , also doing Biology Honors tomorrow , really confident I will do good and best of luck to the rest of you :)
    I was just wondering is there any other way to doing the maths paper again without having to wait a full year , my biggest weakness is Maths without a doubt and I really feel like I am on the brink of failing it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 HANDSOME!

I'd like to know this aswell. Both of my Maths Exams did not go very well at all, im really just praying for a D3 now... :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can't resit the LC Maths before next June.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 HANDSOME!

spurious wrote: »
    You can't resit the LC Maths before next June.

Hahahahahhahahahahaha extra year of Maths with no college course! Hate to be me...... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

You could always do a PLC maths course to fulfil the maths requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gezgblack70

I was acting too cheeky underestimating this maths and didn't pay attention too much to PLC's . I was wondering are the PLC's still open ? can I still apply ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Some colleges leave you resit a maths exam in August to get the maths requirement for some courses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was acting too cheeky underestimating this maths and didn't pay attention too much to PLC's . I was wondering are the PLC's still open ? can I still apply ?

Most PLCs have a second enrolment for places in courses that have spaces in late August/early September, but many courses are already full.

This sounds promising , could you or would anyone else know any more as to this Topic ?

This sounds promising , could you or would anyone else know any more as to this Topic ?

Your career guidance should have covered all this - are you saying you don't know about PLC courses and the alternative route into third level courses?

spurious wrote: »
    Your career guidance should have covered all this - are you saying you don't know about PLC courses and the alternative route into third level courses?

I understand the basics of it , but I was just saying about what Jade said earlier on about some college's allowing for the repeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Some colleges allow you to sit a Special Maths examinations for your course if you don't get the required grade in maths but achieve the points require. I know UL does this no bother

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Some colleges allow you to sit a Special Maths examinations for your course if you don't get the required grade in maths but achieve the points require. I know UL does this no bother

Thanks you very much :)
    Its really appreciated , would you happen to know , of any other colleges that provide the same service ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

NUI Maynooth and Galway offer it. Can't find anything else for colleges around Dublin. Where are you heading to? What course?
    EDIT: DIT offer it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

http://admissions.nuim.ie/subjects/

A lot of these courses dont require maths. Makes for interesting reading. Which course do you want to do? You could ring and verify with the college if they actually require matha.

The Colleges I have applied to are focused around Dublin ( DCU , DIT , ITT , NUI )
    and the courses are mainly computer courses
    Thank you so much for your time and your information :) it has helped me out greatly .
    Need to get back to studying now :) Thanks again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

The Colleges I have applied to are focused around Dublin ( DCU , DIT , ITT , NUI )
    Thank you so much for your time and your information :) it has helped me out greatly .

In that instance you need at least an OB3 in Maths for some or DIT OC3. Good luck in your exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

This is what CIT say about repeating maths DIT may be similar if you look it up! http://www.cit.ie/maths

Advertisement