Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV service in Charlesland area

Options
  • 10-06-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    We got a letter in the door last week from Sky offering 12 months of half price tv and 3 months free broadband. Haven't given them a call yet but without any hidden charges its very tempting seeing as UPC have become a lot more expensive for us recently.
    Just wondering if anyone with Sky in Charlesland is happy/unhappy with the service, especially the broadband side of things?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

aev wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    We got a letter in the door last week from Sky offering 12 months of half price tv and 3 months free broadband. Haven't given them a call yet but without any hidden charges its very tempting seeing as UPC have become a lot more expensive for us recently.
    Just wondering if anyone with Sky in Charlesland is happy/unhappy with the service, especially the broadband side of things?
    Thanks in advance
    Their broadband is just resold Eircom NGN. TV service is good but wouldn't touch the broadband. Stick with UPC for that

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Am also looking at the whole b/band TV again.
    We have sky TV and UPC phone and broadband.

Whats the UPC TV like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BigElf

Matt, is the Sky/Eircom service really so poor? Is it because it is an all round lower spec service or is it over subscribed in the area.

I was looking at the Sky deal and am very tempted to switch as the TV service appears far superior (there is no on demand service in Charlesland with UPC).

But the deciding factor for me will be broadband quality. We stream movies and TV shows quite a bit and use Skype/FaceTime with friends and family in the US a couple of times a day.

Merrilady, the UPC TV service is sufficient, but also depends on your needs. A pal of mine recently switched from Sky to UPC and is regretting it ever since. He is just waiting for his contract to expire before switching back.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Thanks for that, think I'll stay with Sky for the TV so :)
    Have UPC b'band and we stream and use the Net a lot, so might stick with UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Hey BigElf,

I'm a customer of sky & UPC, I've UPC for broadband, phones, and TV's in the bedrooms.

I've sky for the main TV in the living room.

Without a doubt, UPC broadband is the best in the country, even moving to eircom/sky on their fibre powered boardband will only give you about 25Mb whereas UPC can currently provide 30Mb with plans to upgrade to 100Mb in the future.

Sky's TV service is slightly more expensive but the set top box and quality if TV channels and availability is better (also you no HD available in Charlesland with UPC)

Cheers,
    Andrew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 BigElf

Hey BigElf,

I'm a customer of sky & UPC, I've UPC for broadband, phones, and TV's in the bedrooms.

I've sky for the main TV in the living room.

Without a doubt, UPC broadband is the best in the country, even moving to eircom/sky on their fibre powered boardband will only give you about 25Mb whereas UPC can currently provide 30Mb with plans to upgrade to 100Mb in the future.

Sky's TV service is slightly more expensive but the set top box and quality if TV channels and availability is better (also you no HD available in Charlesland with UPC)

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Thank you Andrew.

I think I am going to opt for a similar solution - UPC Broadband & Phone with Sky TV.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭aev

Thanks for the replies everyone. That helps a lot. We are happy with the broadband service UPC provide. It was the TV we were not too happy with so maybe we will look at the separate TV/broadband providers.
    Thanks!

Advertisement