Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a landlord take beds out of an apartment?

Options
  • 10-06-2013 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Myself and the OH are planning on moving in together in about 2-3 months. We're looking for something in Dublin City Centre and although it's probably too early to be looking there seems to be plenty out there within our budget.

The problem is between the two of us we've amassed a bit of furniture. Ideally we'd love to find somewhere unfurnished but these seem to be an absolute rarity, with anywhere unfurnished either being way out of budget, or much further from town then we'd like to be. As it stands we're going to have to put our own stuff into storage which is less than perfect to say the least.

One possible avenue we thought might work was to try and find a landlord who would be willing to take the beds out of a two bedroom apartment. That would at the very least give us some space as the biggest thing we own is a bed. Does anybody have any experience with this or moving around Dublin with their own furniture? I find it hard to believe there's next to nothing unfurnished out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

only issue with that is you are going to be moving in a lot of furniture which means marks on walls etc etc. Landlords mightn't be too up for that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No one knows except the landlord.

As a landlord, the hassle is finding storage for the beds until the next tenancy. So I'd wouldn't be particularly keen to do it. It would be seen as hassle/cost. That said, my LL had no problem doing it for us. He had a trailer, and it would appear, storage. So it really depends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I moved in my own bed but sorted out the storage of the landlords bed myself. I doubt she would have been keen if I was asking her to store it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

We moved back to Ireland recently. We wanted somewhere unfurnished, but in Dublin 15. While it was difficult to find somewhere completely unfurnished, landlords were generally willing to remove some furniture, but I got the impression that they would rather not have to, in particular beds.

Someone here suggested to me that we contact sellers and ask if they wanted to rent unfurnished. Obviously this is a bit of a risk. In the end we found what we were looking for, so didn't go down this route.

With the low volumes of unfurnished places I'd say you're not too early to be looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

Thanks all for the quick replies.

I never actually considered the risk of scuffing the walls. I'd die if I damaged somebody else property or things, but I can understand why there would be hesitancy there on the landlord's part. I guess the best I can do for the moment is ask around and see what sort of response I get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

I managed to locate an unfurnished house over 2 years ago after selling our house but not by regular methods. I placed an ad in the local shopping centre notice board with details of what I was looking for. My LL got in touch with me and he removed all of the furniture except for two heavy wardrobes. He also agreed to a short tenancy initially for 3-6 months, however, we're still here almost 2 and a half years later and its made renting a lot easier sleeping on our owns beds, sitting on our very comfy couch and eating off our own table!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Myself and the OH are planning on moving in together in about 2-3 months. We're looking for something in Dublin City Centre and although it's probably too early to be looking there seems to be plenty out there within our budget.

The problem is between the two of us we've amassed a bit of furniture. Ideally we'd love to find somewhere unfurnished but these seem to be an absolute rarity, with anywhere unfurnished either being way out of budget, or much further from town then we'd like to be. As it stands we're going to have to put our own stuff into storage which is less than perfect to say the least.

One possible avenue we thought might work was to try and find a landlord who would be willing to take the beds out of a two bedroom apartment. That would at the very least give us some space as the biggest thing we own is a bed. Does anybody have any experience with this or moving around Dublin with their own furniture? I find it hard to believe there's next to nothing unfurnished out there.

We moved a bed out for a tenant who wanted the room for their kid, but we wouldn't have moved out any more furniture, but the apartment has all top class furniture as we used to live there, the couch cost two grand, The bed in the master bedroom around the same so it wasn't typical cheap rubbish bought for an apartment.

We honestly wouldn't have know what to do with the furniture, the other side of it is that if the couple then decided to move we'd have to refurnish it, and more than likely with cheap ****e as we'd taken the good stuff out.

I spent long enough renting and know the value of having a couch you can actually relax in.

Advertisement