Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie interested in hiking/ gentle orienteering and the like.

Options
  • 10-06-2013 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a group that does hillwalking/ hiking, or any kind of outdoor pursuits.
    I need to get out of the house and be a bit more social, I think orienteering sounds cool, but i'm not super-fit (I could walk 10 miles though easy enuff). Might help me give up the fags as well!
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Comments

Location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Oh sorry! Dublin, on the n-side atm. Can travel a bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There's quite a few clubs around Dublin

http://www.mountaineering.ie/localclub/?county=Dublin

Unfortunately the redesign of the MI no longer contains links to the clubs' websites. But you can search for most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

You could consider signing up for a mountain skills course as well. Very useful info and skills to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

orienteering just heading into our quiet period http://orienteering.ie/builder.php3?Fixtures but there are a rake of starter Dublin events in August/September in the Phoenix park and also in North Dublin parks coming up ( they're not on the fixtures list but they are happening )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Thank you guys, a rake of info, really appreciate it.
    I have gone from being a self-imposed shut-in to being interested in this.
    Just a bit sick of the urban scenery too. Thanks.

If you're into running or jogging...or even fast walking...maybe try IMRA, the mountain running group.

The sport sounds daunting, but in fact I find the organisation pretty great, they cater for all shapes and sizes. Yes they have some superb athletes, but they also have many who just are happy to get the chance to get out on open mountains - the corinthian spirit in it is great. They have people in their 60s and 70s at such events, they often allow people set off early so they won't "fall out the back", and most of them are in Wicklow and Dublin. As with any sport, of course, you have to take basic precautions, the right footwear, sometimes maps and compasses needed etc. but it's not as navigation based as say orienteering.

Advertisement