Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doolin/Lahinch First Timer Tips

Options
  • 10-06-2013 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

First time poster here.

Im going to Doolin/Lahinch this weekend with some mates for some surfing. Ive only been a few times and not in a year or so so lookong for some tips on the area, in general and anything you think may help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Too late to chime in?

Check magicseaweed forecast most important. Onshore swell 5feet, period over 10seconds, offshore wind
    Get a lesson off Ben - benssurfclinic.ie

If you're not big into it, please be careful. Lahinch beach is perfect but there are rips there that can put you in trouble. Its generally very safe though.
    Other beaches like doolin - i dont know - just be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭martybike

Stick to Lahinch. Plenty of good waves there for everyone. Dr. Nic is right - be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nickbok

Make sure you know when high tide is in lahinch for exit. Can get tricky on a big swell with rips and seaweed and stuff. Don't wanna end up on those rocks. Grand out beach tho. Love it. Remember ur marker, so you'll know about rips. Never surfed doolin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

I've always based myself in doolin, its a way nicer place to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

To surf Doolin you need to be very good at local watercraft and be able to bail out on time..

A friend of mine had his bodyboard snapped in half there on Sunday.

Nearly got himself snapped in half too :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've only ever surfed Doolin Beach, which is a reef and can be very good.

I got one wave on the point once but I wouldn't call it surfing. I ended up looking at dry reef and had to bail then got bounced off the reef a couple of time before letting the current take me down the coast a bit so I could get out with my tail between my legs and my ass handed to me.

I got one wave on the point once but I wouldn't call it surfing. I ended up looking at dry reef and had to bail then got bounced off the reef a couple of time before letting the current take me down the coast a bit so I could get out with my tail between my legs and my ass handed to me.

Thought that was a regular occurrence for you :D

rodento wrote: »
    Thought that was a regular occurrence for you :D

No only hit a reef on one ocasion, not counting getting washed ashore once or twice.

It will be a long time before I'm in your league, getting rescued, air lifted, flow home picked up by boart and banished form an entire section of coat line.

Not to mention text messages home and being dropped off in Germany?

What can I say, the last decade was a complete blast :D

rodento wrote: »
    What can I say, the last decade was a complete blast :D

There were some good ones alright, plenty of laughs, close calls and good waves. Think I need a week off to go surfing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Howyah lads, never surfed Doolin beach and reckoned Crab was beyond me as was always diving in Doolin anyway and so never really brought the log with me so maybe next time will try the beach end.

Howyah lads, never surfed Doolin beach and reckoned Crab was beyond me as was always diving in Doolin anyway and so never really brought the log with me so maybe next time will try the beach end.
    It's good but remembers near and far away it's going to be bigger than it looks.

I must take the snorkeling gear out around the coast there it must be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

It's good but remembers near and far away it's going to be bigger than it looks.

Whats the problem there now Ted? Sure I'm epicly good at sitting on the shoulder. yeah head to the right of the harbour I usually go in from the carpark beside the campsite and stay the night there anyway, toilets at hand etc and kept clean too. Anyway head right and swim over the shallows and bootlace weed etc then slopes down to 12-14m loads of life stay closer to shore for shallower and watch out for the ferries.

Advertisement