Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert dilemma

• 10-06-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I am wondering why does it take 2 months to correct leaving cert papers while in most countries it only takes 1 week.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ask the SEC. They'll be delighted to take staff from the 24 hour operation entailed in running the exams to answer your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

crow2 wrote: »
    I am wondering why does it take 2 months to correct leaving cert papers while in most countries it only takes 1 week.

Any ideas?

Tens of thousands of papers for even a dozen subjects, will take ages to mark and remark. Marking schemes have to be developed, issued, marked exams then have to be collected. The SEC must put together a candidates scores and such. No way it could be done in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭crow2

sganyfx wrote: »
    Tens of thousands of papers for even a dozen subjects, will take ages to mark and remark. Marking schemes have to be developed, issued, marked exams then have to be collected. The SEC must put together a candidates scores and such. No way it could be done in a week.

Well,it is done in eastern Europe.It is not like the whole country gives LC.I would understand if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Well,it is done in eastern Europe.It is not like the whole country gives LC.I would understand if that was the case.

They have a completely different exam system.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭crow2

spurious wrote: »
    Ask the SEC. They'll be delighted to take staff from the 24 hour operation entailed in running the exams to answer your questions.

I think.you are overreaction.
    How much time does it take to correct 1 paper with marking scheme.behind you? There are only 50000 every year giving LC unlike 500,000 in countries such as Germany

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How much time does it take to correct 1 paper with marking scheme.behind you? There are only 50000 every year giving LC unlike 500,000 in countries such as Germany

It takes between twenty minutes to an hour and a half or more depending on what subject, what level and how many papers are involved.
    So, we could have the results back in a day in the theoretical ideal world.

Unfortunately, in the real world, examiners get hundreds of papers to correct.
    The correcting period is about 17-18 days.

The results are back to Athlone by the end of July where they are checked and double checked before some poor unfortunates have the text entry task of keying them all into the computer. The results are then assembled and issued to schools by mid August. Pretty good going really for such a huge operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Steps:

1. Return exam papers to SEC from Centres

2. Random sample taken and corrected by Asst. Chief Examiner and Supervising Examiners, who will then meet, discuss trends / questions which caused problems / etc. and adjust Marking Scheme accordingly.

3. Marking conference: thorough briefing of all examiners on Marking Scheme. Distribution of script packs on the day: numbers vary depending on subject / level, but lets say 400 papers per examiner. In general, c. 400 scripts takes ~ 2.5 - 3 weeks to wade through, and that's on a schedule which can be quite brain-frying in some subjects!

4. Examiners start correcting. There is a feedback loop after the first 20; the first 100; the second 100; etc. ... samples which have already been marked are sent to the assigned Supervising Examiners who monitor that the Marking Scheme is being applied consistently by all Examiners. Where further issues / problems arise, minor changes may need to be made to the Marking Scheme, and papers re-corrected!

5. Scripts and results are returned to the SEC and results uploaded. ALL results are released together, so it's not as if the fact that fewer students do certain subjects speeds the actual issuing of results any.

And you think this can all happen in a week?!

I'd love to see the quality of the correcting, and the cross-moderation / quality assurance systems in that time period!

I'd love to know what countries manage it in a week? ... the only way I could see it happening is if the exams for every class was simply corrected by their own teacher with no reference to the other schools in the country, and I doubt I have to start pointing out the potential difficulties there with quality assurance!

Advertisement