Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do games degrade in quality over time?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

It all depends upon the game in question. As above, Destruction Derby games look and play pretty mucky these days. Also, the earlier Tomb Raider titles ain't aged too well (though I personally still enjoy them). However Street Fighter II and Doom, for example, still play as good today as they ever did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Some do, some don't. Those more heavily reliant on emerging technology and techniques don't age well, while those based on proven and stable engines/game design do. Early 3D games like Race Drivin', Stun Runner and even Goldeneye are unplayable now, but 2D games like Mario World, Castlevania SOTN and Super Metroid are every bit as good now as they were at release.

Well said. I don't need to respond now! Exactly my sentimonies. Get out of my head! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Neither of the options in the poll reflect my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No, it's just not as good by today's standards
    Didn't bother reading any of the replies but I think a pretty big reason that people still enjoy them is nostalgia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

callaway92 wrote: »
    Didn't bother reading any of the replies but I think a pretty big reason that people still enjoy them is nostalgia.

I still enjoy playing old games but it's certainly not due to nostalgia. I call it like it is which unfortunately upsets some nostalgic fans *cough* FF7, Goldeneye *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

callaway92 wrote: »

It certainly helps, but it's not the exclusive reason. A lot of older stuff is just good. I played through Wolfenstien 3D for the first time about a year and a half ago, and I still thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I still enjoy playing old games but it's certainly not due to nostalgia. I call it like it is which unfortunately upsets some nostalgic fans *cough* FF7, Goldeneye *cough*

I haven't stopped playing *cough* FFVII *cough* since its release, still looks and plays great imo. Just calling it like it is. *cough*

I've gotta quit smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Eli Nich

Sorry but the poll options are not enough or not justified,

Games in terms of graphics gets improved - but personally the story is always better when its the first part

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Without doubt some games do become less playable as systems and technology improve. Others are likely to be as endearing in fifty years as they are today. But we also need to value our cultural artefacts that got us to where we are. I watched Intolerance, a hugely influential silent epic, recently, and that's aged horrifically in so many respects. But it's also fascinating to watch and examine, because it laid the foundations for so many more effective productions along the line and the sheer ambition of the thing is still pretty fascinating. There's a point when many games too will get lost in time - look at all those poor 3d pioneers, now nigh on unplayable - but they still deserve to be remembered and archived, because the narrative of how gaming got to where we are now is worthy of our attention in all its rough, unflattering detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

As simple as it is good games do not really age, despite their technology looking obviously outdated. Just as an example, find a copy of the original Deus Ex: the graphics are horribly blocky, the textures ultra low resolution, but the story is just as engaging as it was and the atmosphere is definitely there.

I suspect a lot of people make a bit of a confusion between games that were crap from the beginning, but bagged consensus due to technology and graphics that were advanced at the time, and games that were good full stop.

As many mentioned already, the "PS1" era is probably the most significant - most of the early game were absolute rubbish, people only played then and thought they were good because of the innovation 3D graphics represented; Once the novelty waned off, developers and publishers realized they needed to come out with something more than the latest graphic gizmos.
    As a result, some of the later PS1 games were simply good - an example off the top of my head, Silent Hill - however there are many more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement