Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siemens SPC

Options
  • 10-06-2013 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all

I'm looking at upgrading my current alarm system and I'm trying to decide between the HKC and the Siemens SPC. I'm a programmer by profession so I figure I might stand a good chance of being able to do it all myself, is this a realistic option or am I better off getting a professional in? Obviously I'd like it done right but I'd also like to get a good understanding of how it works I'm leaning towards the SPC at the moment because of the IP connectivity, is this wired only or does it support wireless ethernet?

Thanks
    Eoin

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

SPC really is the way to go with what your into. Being from a programming background will help you with programming the likes of cause & effect & mapping gates.
    I'm PMing you over the installation manual, that will give you a good idea of whats involved.
    Also download the app, SPC secure, from Play Store or App Store. If will also give you a good idea of what this panel can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eoinbyr

Thanks for the info - should help a lot

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not a bother.
    If you need anything else give us a shout.

does anyone know where I can buy the SPC? The only place I can find in Ireland that has a HKC and will sell to a member of the public is colt alarms, the nearest Siemens panel I could get was from http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/. With the economy as it is I'd prefer to buy within the country if I can find someone willing to take my money

I've tried RWL, Northwood Tech, Borsatec - none of them will sell to me, I've also pinged REW but it looks like their contact form doesnt work - all it does it send me an empty email

Most suppliers will supply if you call in. They all give the line that they only supply to the trade when replying to email or phone queries.
    All those you mention above supply Siemens.

• Advertisement

just a quick update - got everything installed without too much difficulty - the front door contact sensor seems to be somewhat dodgy, sometimes it still thinks its open when its not.- its a fairly heavy door that needs to be slammed to close properly so that probably isn't helping. The magnet is very slightly out of alignment so I'll try move it a little and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for all the help

Is that door contact wired or wireless?

wired - its from the old system, was always a little grumpy. Moving it seems to have improved things. Although it could just be random luck, I guess time will tell

For the sake of a wired contact I would just change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 abrahamb1111

Hi Koolkid,

I am trying to get the SPC panel installed in my new home (it is a 3 bed semi); but bit struggling to find a good installer as most of the companies i have contacted are giving the cost for HKC SW1070 hybrid intruder alarm panel. Below is the option given by a supplier for fitting HKC SW1070 hybrid intruder alarm panel

i) Main entrance door (1 contact only)
    ii) Kitchen window – 2 openings (1 inertia sensor and 2 contact)
    iii) Sitting Room window – 2 openings (1 inertia sensor and 2 contact)
    iv) Sitting room patio door (1 inertia sensor & 1 contact)
    v) Sitting room windows adjacent door x 2 (inertia sensor and 1 contact)
    vi) WC – 1 opening (1 inertia sensor & 1 contact)
    vii) Bedroom 1 (front) window – 1 opening (1 inertia sensor & 1 contact)
    viii) Bedroom 2 (rear) window – 1 opening (1 inertia sensor & 1 contact)
    ix) Bedroom 3 (rear) window- 1 opening (1 inertia sensor & 1 contact)

for 1200 Euro

The following are extra costed as

Wireless keypad for Master Bedroom @ €165.00
    Wireless PA button @ €70.00
    GSM text dialler @ €175.00

Since some other supplier quoted me a different option and a different panel ; i am bit confused as which system is good and is this cost better ? One of the supplier called me over phone and told me there is no need for inertia sensor as contact sensor will cover the effect with PIR); Do you any good supplier who could fit a siemens panel as people says it can be programmed (which i could try as i am a programmer) ; if you have bit of time please PM good options.

my home is not wired ; but wired for external siron; and control panel to front hall.

Regards

• Advertisement

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but if you have 2 openings you only need a shock sensor which will have a combined contact and one other contact. From what you are saying he is trying to pass them off as two devices.
    Good installers will be well capable of installing various systems. I would be wary of installers trying to push a particular system on you. This usually happens when their knowledge is limited to this system and they are uncomfortable installing something different. If their knowledge is this limited they are best avoided.
    Also those offering you PiRs internally are not to be trusted. Perimeter protection should be the first priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 abrahamb1111

Thank you Koolkid

I a newB in security systems; I would like to implement good security for my home (reasonable priced) and would like to know your best suggestion in terms of control panels and possibility let me know few good companies that could install them for me. Is perimeter protection is for outside ? Is PIR is different to perimeter protection ?

Features wise Siemens SPC panels have more options than anything else on the market. As I said earlier, do your research yourself and then ask for quotes based on that. Again beware of companies and installer's trying to push a single panel on you. If they are only familer with one panel or brand it may mean their knowledge or experience is limited to that.
    Sensors and contacts are used for perimeter protection and PiRs are for internal protection.
    Ideally you should cover the perimeter first and back that up with some PiRs.
    Take a look at the suppliers sticky. That has a link to the PSA register of licenced installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AZAZ

Hi All

I have a Europlex verifier. The Perimeter is fully wired with ~20 Aritech inertias MC/MC and one PIR(not sure of the make) on the landing. The peripherals are 1 wired keypad,1bellbox and 1 internal Sounder.
    A recent attempted break in has prompted me to review my setup

I am looking to add GSM and Wireless for additional PIRs and possibly some cameras in the future. I also want an Ethernet port and Web Server. From what I have read the Siemens SPC fits the bill although I definitely like the idea of the Point ID for trouble shooting on the hkc.

Hopefully my Aritech inertias are compatible with the Siemens SPC?

There doesn't seem to be one SPC box that does Ethernet and integrated wireless so I guess my shopping list is

SPC4320 Panel w/keypad
    SPCW110.000 SiWay RF-Kit for Panel with Metallic Housing
    SPCN310.000 GSM Module incl. Antenna
    IR160W6-10

Would that seem about right?

Sounds right.
    Any global inertias will work. Point ID will not. I am not a fan of point ID, it is fairly old technology at this stage and I had many issues with it before. Tracing faulty sensors down the line is very easy by testing the resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

AZAZ wrote: »
    Hi All

I have a Europlex verifier. The Perimeter is fully wired with ~20 Aritech inertias MC/MC and one PIR(not sure of the make) on the landing. The peripherals are 1 wired keypad,1bellbox and 1 internal Sounder.
    A recent attempted break in has prompted me to review my setup

I am looking to add GSM and Wireless for additional PIRs and possibly some cameras in the future. I also want an Ethernet port and Web Server. From what I have read the Siemens SPC fits the bill although I definitely like the idea of the Point ID for trouble shooting on the hkc.

Hopefully my Aritech inertias are compatible with the Siemens SPC?

There doesn't seem to be one SPC box that does Ethernet and integrated wireless so I guess my shopping list is

SPC4320 Panel w/keypad
    SPCW110.000 SiWay RF-Kit for Panel with Metallic Housing
    SPCN310.000 GSM Module incl. Antenna
    IR160W6-10

Would that seem about right?

You will also need to get a receiver for the older signet system if you want to add inertia/contacts sensors to the SPC. Dont like the fact that they use the older Visonic sensors for this purpose which have no pulse detection built in, just gross.

Advertisement