Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signature Furniture and Cost Plus Sofas both gone?

Options
  • 10-06-2013 2:49pm

Howdy all,

Friend was talking to me yesterday on the phone and said they were up at the M1 Retail Park and both Signature Furniture and Cost Plus Sofas have bitten the dust, apparently.

Anyone know for sure?

Personally, I do a bit for Logan's Furniture Outlet (in Mell), so I know they're there. There's also Wogan's, Harvey Norman and Furniture Options.

Is that it for furniture stores in the town? Or are there any I'm forgetting? I think there's one up beside Harey's, too? (I know Argos do furniture, but I don't really consider them to be a furniture store).

I never really expected Cost Plus to last too long after I began to see them constantly re-appearing in the Consumer Issues forum on here (Seems to be a fairly poorly managed company across the country?) but I hadn't really heard anything bad about Signature Furniture (though I'd never been in the store, either, if I'm honest).

Very unfortunate for those who were employed by them. :( Will hopefully land other jobs without too much waiting around :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Is that it for furniture stores in the town?

One up beside TK Maxx....Sofa Company.....or at least it was there last time I was in the retail park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Cost Plus Sofas announced that they were closing or downsizing or similar last week, but didn't give any details of what stores or how many jobs were going.

There's McCormack's Furniture at Greene's, which I think is on the North Quay - they were in the Leader this week (report of a break-in).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Apparently cost plus had an invite only sale over the past two days to clear stock. As said, they're not gone but they are downsizing.

Oh yeah I heard of that place on the Quays. Thought it was more an auction place. Though speaking of which, there's also that antique's place beside the Mooreland. Forgot about that.

Is there anywhere new opening in the town (not just furniture, but in general)? To try and create some jobs that are being constantly lost? Will the new cinema/s employ many people at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

In all fairness all the large furniture warehouses had one, maybe 2 staff per day at best. Not that those weren't valued jobs, but if a viable employer were to open in an empty unit, a furniture outlet would be probably employing the least amount of workers. If you look at all the other units in M1, (apart from Hubert Tully) the minimum amount of staff would be about 6/7 up to maybe 30 staff in Heatons/Smyths.

That said I don't know what type of retail would work in those large units right now. The Petmania outlet in the Drogheda retail park has been lying empty for over 2 years, large units like those aren't suited to every type of retail and we have every electrical retailer trading in Drogheda bar Currys (and they're in Airside or Dundalk).

• Advertisement
Advertisement