Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwing coins into the river at that little Bridge near BORN.

Options
  • 10-06-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this little spot ? There's seems to be a right muppet/genius going down each day now in his swimming gear taking all the coins out for himself.
    I presume it's not illegal but some cheek to be doing it in broad daylight.
    He's been there every day since the sun came out.

I'm conflicted about it as it's totally stupid throwing away money but also not exactly a nice thing to do either running away with some wishing money :D

What do the Galway boards think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Racking my brains here as I recall there being a thread about the tradition of throwing in coins on that bridge..some years back Im sure of it...

We did it as kids, my gran would bring us down and we'd chuck in a few pennies and make a wish. Cant believe some cheeky fecker is actually collecting up the change, hardly a lot!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056349817 Found thread! Realise now I havent done my homework from 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lol, the cheeky monkey!

I've never thrown money in there myself but for someone to dive in and pick them up is bloody cheeky.
    I suppose it happens too in other similar spots around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Has anyone seen this little spot ? There's seems to be a right muppet/genius going down each day now in his swimming gear taking all the coins out for himself.

I'm conflicted about it as it's totally stupid throwing away money but also not exactly a nice thing to do either running away with some wishing money :D

Surely when the coin is thrown that's when the wish is made :D
    Maybe he wished for a few bob himself and this idea came to him in a dream...
    I'd say let him off. It would be another thing if the money/spot was designated for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Yeah, a few months back I saw a group of young people (had a few drinks on them) with torches/headlamps in the water fishing out the coins. Having a great laugh by the looks of it.

Thought it was a pretty ****ty thing to be doing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Damn it anyway. I was goin' down there in me speedos yesterday to pocket all those coins meself.

I didn't do it in the end as I thought I might slip & hurt myself on the amount of vomit from female passers-by.

Me speedos take no prisoners.

• Advertisement

You'd want to be seriously skint...

You'd want to be seriously skint...

If it's young lads, there's probably an 'I dare ya for the craic' element too, or just because it might be 'frowned upon'.

Once they are not making eejits of themselves or any insurance liability, personally I wouldn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I was more blown away with the fact that he was just sitting beside the bridge later on counting it lol

I'm thinking of going in later tonight and gluing a 2 euro coin to the bottom lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

inisboffin wrote: »
    If it's young lads, there's probably an 'I dare ya for the craic' element too, or just because it might be 'frowned upon'.

Once they are not making eejits of themselves or any insurance liability, personally I wouldn't care.

It's just one guy on his own that's in there each day. He's in his early 20's I think.

I was more blown away with the fact that he was just sitting beside the bridge later on counting it lol

I'm thinking of going in later tonight and gluing a 2 euro coin to the bottom lol.

Is there a chance he's a troll...:P

• Advertisement

I was wondering why my wishes weren't coming true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

I don't see anything wrong with it. Its money people have thrown away - just because it is for superstitious reasons doesn't change the fact they have thrown it away.

I did see in Blanchardstown shopping center a young lad going into the fountain and taking out money even though it is clearly marked for charity - something like this is a different story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, it's not theft imo. Just poor form really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I disagree, we should have a boards swimwear meet and fish the waters for gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

meh - if people want to throw their money away that's up to them. Noting wrong with some enterprising soul picking it up....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

biko wrote: »
    Lol, the cheeky monkey!

I've never thrown money in there myself but for someone to dive in and pick them up is bloody cheeky.
    I suppose it happens too in other similar spots around the world.

€1200.00 per day!

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-09/10/content_6695596.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I've no problem with this personally. If people are foolish enough to throw away money, why should they be upset if someone else makes a concerted effort to retrieve the money. Keeping the money sitting on the river bed is not going to make a wish come true. The placebo feel good effect is in the act of throwing the money in and once that's done it should be fair game afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Maybe he'll stop once he sees just what ominously named user is onto him!:D

Tbh I agree with Zarquon, if people are mad enough to actually throw their money away I'd prefer someone benefit from it than it just sit there in the mud.At least someone's wish will be coming true here this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's admirably **** IMO. The money is just going to waste anyways but to go to all that effort for the grand total of €1.43 is very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fair play to him, going in that muck he deserves anything he gets.

And clearing out the coins must have been happening for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

"Wishing money" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

A little off topic I guess but where exactly is the bridge you are talking about? I havent lived in Galway in a few years and not sure where the bridge you are talking about is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A little off topic I guess but where exactly is the bridge you are talking about? I havent lived in Galway in a few years and not sure where the bridge you are talking about is.

Green arrow on this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.274937,-9.055304&num=1&t=h&z=18

Picture of it..

Competition for yer man on the way I'd say...:P

Advertisement