Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter on Greystones Beach

Options
  • 10-06-2013 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Whilst we (and of course the local businesses) are happy to welcome visitors to the area, there is no excuse for the filth that was left behind on the beach this weekend.

If you're not going to treat an area you visit with respect, then perhaps it would be better for all if you just stayed away. You really wonder what type of filth these people are used to living in.

Also - dropping your rubbish BESIDE a bin is not considered disposing of it, if a bin is full take it with you, it's YOURS!

This really should be better policed by the council.

Rant over.
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

OMG! Terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Whilst we (and of course the local businesses) are happy to welcome visitors to the area, there is no excuse for the filth that was left behind on the beach this weekend.

If you're not going to treat an area you visit with respect, then perhaps it would be better for all if you just stayed away. You really wonder what type of filth these people are used to living in.

Also - dropping your rubbish BESIDE a bin is not considered disposing of it, if a bin is full take it with you, it's YOURS!

This really should be better policed by the council.

Rant over.

While I agree with you on the litter it's very presumptuous of you to blame visitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Looks like we are not a special case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I was coming back past sandymount at the weekend it was just the same, littering is one of my pet hates, along with able bodied people parking in disabled parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I have to agree with another poster, personally I dont think its just visitors....

The beach was packed yesterday, there wasnt a huge amount of cars parked so i would so its 50/50

I walked down there last noight and all the bins were overflowing
    crap everywhere... bottles of coke etc and crisps wrappers, its dreadful really.

if you cant fit your rubbish in a bin then bring it home with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

you should see the state of the main street on a sunday morning if you drive by around 6am ... it's like a bomb hit it !!

can't stand littering ... it's such a simple thing to put your stuff in a bin...
    I'm sure these litterers (is that word ?) wouldn't treat their homes that way !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 amaxwell

I walked the kids to school on Monday morning, journey took me up the path beside the south beach, and was blown away with the state of the beach - whether it is visitors or locals, it doesn't matter, how could people be such filthy pigs and treat a public place like that.. I felt sorry for the single, what I assume was, 'Greystones Tidy Towns' guy doing his best to clean up the beach (see snaps)..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's clearly not enough (or large enough) bins on the beach during the summer. Its reasonable to assume that the people who dumped their rubbish beside the bin would've put it in the bin if there'd been space (I'm not excusing them, they should've taken it home, but the council should also be providing the facilities). A few of the solar-compressor bins as seen in Bray, or even just large barrels place at intervals along the beach during the summer months, regularly emptied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Maybe they should send a few councillors to The Seychelles on a fact-finding mission to see what kind of bins they use over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I honestly believe if were to introduce the deposit and refund system for returning and getting refunded for the cursed plastic bottles, cans and bottles we would see a HUGE improvement.

In the Netherlands, the government charges a 25c deposit on all plastic bottles which has resulted in a 95% return. In Sweden, they have an 84% return for their bottles and Finland boasts a 92% return for bottles as a result of their deposit/refund system.

Please read the attached link and send the template letter attached to the sleeping minister of the environment and the more people that lobby them then perhaps we could be liberated from this national scourge. Please read and pass on, it takes seconds.

http://voiceireland.org/general-news/urge-minister-hogan-to-adopt-a-depositrefund-system-for-bottles-and-cans/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Deposit is only one aspect, but it could start to change the culture we unfortunately have where littering is almost a daily event for some people.
    Think about it - how often when you are driving do you see someone tip cigarette ash out their window or toss a cigarette butt out?

In some countries such littering can and does spark massive wild fires, here though due to our climate not something we have to contend with yet still nothing is done about it.
    I don't believe more bins is the solution to the South Beach though, ideally people need to just bring whatever they have with them away again. Surely after consuming drink or food the remaining packaging is lighter and provided you still have the bag just walk away with it.
    Look at it this way, for the outdoor sports folk they have this saying "Leave no Trace" - basically take back with you all that you bring and take remove that belongs there...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

mariaalice wrote: »
    I was coming back past sandymount at the weekend it was just the same, littering is one of my pet hates, along with able bodied people parking in disabled parking spaces.

At least we can hit back at the latter. Car keys are good for scratching that expensive paintwork.

As for the littering, the APCOA wardens are supposed to be litter wardens as well as parking enforcers. Have they charged anyone yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

At least we can hit back at the latter. Car keys are good for scratching that expensive paintwork.

Do not advocate criminal damage again

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

spot on Mango Salsa, simply reporting person is a better idea, go round keying cars and you're as bad if not worse than the people who drop litter.

Advertisement