Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs barred from Reeks...

Options
  • 10-06-2013 3:31pm

...vaguely remember a couple of threads touching on this.

Cronin's Yard has put up a message saying that, because of poor management by some dog owners and the deaths of two sheep recently, the farmers on the Reeks have had to take the step of barring dogs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I can't blame the farmers if people aren't controlling their dogs. There's a sign at the entrance to the zig zags for Lugnaquilla saying something similar. It goes so far as to say that any dogs seen crossing the private land will be shot - leads or not.

It's a shame that a few inconsiderate muppets end up spoiling it for the majority of responsible people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I can't bring either of my muppets (i.e. dogs) anyway near a big hill never mind a mountain. It is the only problem I have with them. My first lad chased sheep, the second followed him. Although the first dog died, the second still thinks it is fair game and of course the third will follow the second.

I wouldn't risk it, just in case they did get off a lead or a lead was dropped - I'd reckon they would be gone in a heartbeat. I live less than ten miles away from Mt. Leinster and neither of them have ever been near it - just not worth the trouble if they did get loose. And Murphy's Law says it would be the one time they would get loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

This is why wolves are extinct in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I live less than ten miles away from Mt. Leinster and neither of them have ever been near it - just not worth the trouble if they did get loose.

Curiously, there's few enough sheep up on Mount Leinster & Blackstairs these days, particularly in the winter months. The hill farmer is a fading breed and those that do keep a flock often have them lower down where they are easier to manage. Young lads these days are less keen on flogging over the mountains rounding up stock etc. But perception is everything still and you'd want to be very careful bringing a dog.

IMHO, it's the wind farmers you'll need to be worrying about in the future. Now they are a rapidly growing breed in Wexford...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

BarryD wrote: »
    IMHO, it's the wind farmers you'll need to be worrying about in the future. Now they are a rapidly growing breed in Wexford...
    Not unless you have a flying dog though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

This was on Djouce today (note, some swearing).

If people won't keep their dogs on a leash in areas that are full of sheep, I don't blame the farmers one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭RamblingRuairi

It's unreal that some hikers, climbers have absolutely no consideration for another persons livelihood. As a dog owner, I have no sympathy for any owner who doesn't have his/her dog under control. As above, I don't blame the farmers one bit.

It's a real pity because I'd love to take my dog into the hills with me. (She's training to become a Search Dog and is very obedient but simply won't risk it)

Are you able to recall your dog, if it runs off chasing something?
    Because I reckon this is a more basic level of training, before ever trying to train it as a search dog.

The next step is to train the dog not to even think about chasing sheep.
    I have a dog which I can walk through a field of sheep, off the lead, knowing 100% that the dog will walk calmly beside me. I can also tell whether the owner of the sheep has a dog, by the reaction of the sheep. If the owner does have one, the sheep just have a look, see that I'm not heading directly towards them, and then they ignore the presence of the dog, knowing its not a threat to them. If the sheep seemed concerned by the dog, I'd keep a wider berth though, until they relaxed.
    This same dog is allowed to chase after any rabbits or foxes, but can't catch them.

recedite wrote: »
    Are you able to recall your dog, if it runs off chasing something?
    Because I reckon this is a more basic level of training, before ever trying to train it as a search dog.

The next step is to train the dog not to even think about chasing sheep.
    I have a dog which I can walk through a field of sheep, off the lead, knowing 100% that the dog will walk calmly beside me. I can also tell whether the owner of the sheep has a dog, by the reaction of the sheep. If the owner does have one, the sheep just have a look, see that I'm not heading directly towards them, and then they ignore the presence of the dog, knowing its not a threat to them. If the sheep seemed concerned by the dog, I'd keep a wider berth though, until they relaxed.
    This same dog is allowed to chase after any rabbits or foxes, but can't catch them.

Howdy,

Yes, absolutely, my dog is excellent on recall and is well used to being around livestock (horses, cows, sheep etc .....) I'm not concerned by either the sheep or my dog but potentially by the farmer, not that i blame them. as previously mentioned, some idiots around who spoil it for the rest of us. I've had my dog through the "basics" and have advanced to the more complex search work.

Also had it confirmed today that only SARDA trainee or qualified dogs are allowed on the Reeks. All other dogs are taken at their owners risk

• Advertisement

Ah right, I thought you meant there was "a risk" of the dog going after sheep.
    So does your dog get a special little hi-viz jacket to wear then, having passed the rescue course ?
    It would be nice if the farming organizations would sanction some sort of "safepass" for dogs going onto the uplands. Some test with livestock, and then some sort of clearly visible badge or rosette with a registration number that could be attached to the dog. Any problems, and the reg. number would get reported.
    In the absence of that, its to be expected that sheep farmers would want a blanket ban on all dogs (except for their own dog, of course)

recedite wrote: »
    Ah right, I thought you meant there was "a risk" of the dog going after sheep.
    So does your dog get a special little hi-viz jacket to wear then, having passed the rescue course ?
    It would be nice if the farming organizations would sanction some sort of "safepass" for dogs going onto the uplands. Some test with livestock, and then some sort of clearly visible badge or rosette with a registration number that could be attached to the dog. Any problems, and the reg. number would get reported.
    In the absence of that, its to be expected that sheep farmers would want a blanket ban on all dogs (except for their own dog, of course)

Hey, yes, once qualified the dog gets her high viz jacket. Hopefully we'll be there in about another 6 mths.

It would be great to have your idea implemented but fear its years off yet :(

Think it's up to hikers and climbers alike to point out others failings and try and keep farmers onside

Advertisement