Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Graph Talk.

Options
  • 10-06-2013 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

So, who's doing tech graph next Monday? I'm looking forward to it and it's my personal best subject. However, my Pre was very difficult and I have a feeling this year will be tough as the exam is gradually becoming harder. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭glitzandbits

LawdyLad wrote: »
    So, who's doing tech graph next Monday? I'm looking forward to it and it's my personal best subject. However, my Pre was very difficult and I have a feeling this year will be tough as the exam is gradually becoming harder. Thoughts?

Honestly I don't know if I'm good or bad at tech graph.. In first year I got a c3... In second year I got an A.. In the pres I got a D hahaha :) it'll be grand, I'd say I'll do the elipse/parabola, rotation, transformation and development questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

I scraped an A in the pres. Still a little stressed about it though. I always end up pretty short for time in tech graph exams. If the same order of long questions comes up, I'll be doing question 1 (orthographic projection), 2 (rotation), 5 (transformation) and 6 (ellipse and parabola). I'd say the short questions will be grand, so not too worried about those.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

My favourite subject <3. Tech Graph is my best and favourite subject, always has been. Got 95% in the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

I am ! ANY PREDICTIONS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

I am predicting a parabola or ellipse at an angle.

• Advertisement

onlinenerd wrote: »
    I am predicting a parabola or ellipse at an angle.

Dont mind that

Be grand weekend just do some drawings beee granddd

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Gulfstream757

Lookin forward to it agree it is getting harder but really its not that tough of a subject. What Q's do you plan on doing? I'll probably do Q1,2,5,6 but maybe 4 instead of 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

Lookin forward to it agree it is getting harder but really its not that tough of a subject. What Q's do you plan on doing? I'll probably do Q1,2,5,6 but maybe 4 instead of 1.

I'll do q1, q4,q5, q6 but I can see q6 coning up very hard so q2 is also an option!

I always hate the constructions and difficult stuff in rotations. I mean I'm good at rotations it's just those constructions and all that stuff they put in that's impossible to figure out that irritates me. I usually do that question but with all the hard stuff they put in it I might do developments or orthographic instead.

• Advertisement

examstress wrote: »
    I am ! ANY PREDICTIONS ?
    For Q1, I can imagine it being the same as usual as long as surface s isnt some awkward shape. I am predicting Q4 to have a solids in contact question rather than developments as it is long over due. Q5 never changes. Q6 will be very difficult in my opinion and I can see it including many constructions along with an inclined ellipse.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Gulfstream757

LawdyLad wrote: »
    I'll do q1, q4,q5, q6 but I can see q6 coning up very hard so q2 is also an option!

Yeah its difficult to predict with tech graph seeing as part of the subject is problem solving!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Monaghan hardy lawd

My favorite and strongest subject, I got 98% in the pres and all I can say is that between Friday and Sunday try to consider what Q's you will do and practice 2 of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

How do i prepare for short q's? I've only had a tech graph teacher in 1st year and in 2nd-3rd year the other teachers left us in class or just drank tea and ignored us. I got a D in TG. That's my lowest result ive ever gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Monaghan hardy lawd

How do i prepare for short q's? I've only had a tech graph teacher in 1st year and in 2nd-3rd year the other teachers left us in class or just drank tea and ignored us. I got a D in TG. That's my lowest result ive ever gotten
    http://eddiesnotes.blogspot.ie/p/junior-certificate-technical-graphics.html?m=1
    If you understand all the things on this you should be able to do a few questions. A free hand sketch Question comes up every year so practice that (it is usually a round or cone or cylindrical shaped object such as a cup). Perspective is guaranteed to come up on the short Questions so here is sample ones https://www.studyclix.ie/Subjects/Junior-Certificate/Ordinary/Technical-Graphics/Perspective, remember alll lines go toward the two points on the left and right or else vertically. If you have a good knowledge of geometry (xyzplain) their could be Q relating to that.
    Hope I helped:)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

I ma doing q1,q3,q5 and q6 and q2 as a back up if an insanely hard question comes up

How do i prepare for short q's? I've only had a tech graph teacher in 1st year and in 2nd-3rd year the other teachers left us in class or just drank tea and ignored us. I got a D in TG. That's my lowest result ive ever gotten.

Do exam papers, the same types of ones come up every year. If you don't know how to do one, look in your book or look it up online. Or ask on here, I'm sure someone might know.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ajguy97

isometric projection ftw!

ajguy97 wrote: »
    isometric projection ftw!

We were taught the axonometric projection method rather than the isometric scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Two questions:

How do you do Transformation Geometry without the figure looking wrong at the end? It's very hit or miss with me.

How do you deal with diagonal lines in perspective drawings?

Ensure that you know enlargement and reduction. It can make the rotation questions harder, especially if you don't know what to do.

• Advertisement

How do you do Transformation Geometry without the figure looking wrong at the end? It's very hit or miss with me.
    It's all about being extremely precise. I know that's difficult in an exam situation, but if you lack neatness in the transformation section, your figure will look a bit deformed by the end. Make sure you do each step accurately, from using sliding set squares for parallel lines to using a compass to find points.

our TG teacher said were allowed to use tracing paper so our class uses tracing paper for the transformation geo and it really helps :L and it makes everything a lot easier :)

and ofcourse we had to put the tracing paper along with the test paper :L

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

How does that work exactly?

When dealing with vertical lines in perspective, I would recommend just bringing a vertical line up from each point on the given incomplete figure and then bring your lines to the vanishing points. Once you have these lines, it should be fine to draw the final image as you are usually given a 3D pictorial view anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jpr57852

All that ellipse bullcrap messes me up. I haven't got a clue how to find the major or minor in all these different circumstances, it seems so random... Same with tangents. Anyone have any tips to help?

jpr57852 wrote: »
    All that ellipse bullcrap messes me up. I haven't got a clue how to find the major or minor in all these different circumstances, it seems so random... Same with tangents. Anyone have any tips to help?

Just work backwards to what you usually do when drawing an ellipse if you use the concentric circles method.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Drift_King_33

Development or Solids in Contact this year? :/ Solids in Contact came up last year

Any chance that either Orthographic Projection (Q.1), Rotation (Q.2), Transformation (Q.5) or Ellipse and Parabola (Q.6) won't come up tomorrow? I'll be screwed if that's the case, as I have no backup.

Also, regarding materials for the exam, tell me if I'm missing anything here; t-square, set squares, compass, rubber, pencils, topper, masking tape, protractor. We don't have to bring our own paper, do we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Drift_King_33

Any chance that either Orthographic Projection (Q.1), Rotation (Q.2), Transformation (Q.5) or Ellipse and Parabola (Q.6) won't come up tomorrow? I'll be screwed if that's the case, as I have no backup.

Also, regarding materials for the exam, tell me if I'm missing anything here; t-square, set squares, compass, rubber, pencils, topper, masking tape, protractor. We don't have to bring our own paper, do we?

It usually does follow that pattern so you should be grand for tomorrow.
    I'm bringing the same and no you don't have to bring your own paper.

Advertisement