Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private rented to RAS

Options
  • 10-06-2013 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows what happens or has experienced any difficulties when leaving private rented to go into a RAS or council house.
    Is it a problem if say you have 6 months left on a lease or indeed the RAS house is immediately available but you are on a part 4 tenancy?
    Are the notice periods the same in this instance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

A different house? You have a lease to fulfill or your part iv notice period. It makes no difference that you are moving to RAS with the next landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I dont see any reason why notice periods would be any different; its not your current landlords problem why you want to move out early and they shouldnt have to be expected to accept a shorter notice period.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

I am on a part 4 tenancy and should I, fingers crossed, get a RAS house that is available close by, then I personally have no problem with my 6 weeks notice.

I was more curious as to what would happen if I had signed a further one year lease instead of just moving on to the part 4 and then I had been offered one of the council houses in the next village......would I have to decline that offer or would the council accept that it would be 6 or 8 months or even 10 months if offered one today, before I could move in?

Its a wonder I have had for a while now and just thought I would see if i could get some insight into whether anyone came across problems.
    Its only so often council houses become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I might be wrong about this but Id be very surprised if they left a property unoccupied for a period of months while you ran out a fixed term lease. If you are on a housing list and expect to be offered housing at some point then its really up to you to ensure that you are flexible to accept the housing and that you dont tie yourself into a fixed term lease.

Advertisement