Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prize I won but I've to add money to it..

Options
  • 10-06-2013 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I'm looking for some advice on what to do in my next step. I won a prize recently from a nationwide company for a 2 night stay in a certain hotel with dinner on one night.

I've received the voucher from the company and it says as described. 2 night stay with dinner on one night.

When I went to book it I was told that I would have to pay approx 30 euro as the nights I want to stay (fri and sat) are costing more than the voucher is worth.

Is this appropriate? Should I go back to the prizegivers or take issue with the hotel? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Comments

rondeco wrote: »
    Hello all, I'm looking for some advice on what to do in my next step. I won a prize recently from a nationwide company for a 2 night stay in a certain hotel with dinner on one night.

I've received the voucher from the company and it says as described. 2 night stay with dinner on one night.

When I went to book it I was told that I would have to pay approx 30 euro as the nights I want to stay (fri and sat) are costing more than the voucher is worth.

Is this appropriate? Should I go back to the prizegivers or take issue with the hotel? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Name and shame the tightwads!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Did the competition rules state that the prize could only be used on certain days/dates? If not, go back to the prize giver. Lodge a complaint that you went to use the voucher but were told that you would still have to pay.

If the voucher was only for 2 nights plus one meal, then that is what you are due, no matter what the cost is to the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Considering the potential spend on alcohol, or other stuff, the hotel should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

If the voucher was for a mid-week stay (as many of these prizes are) then it may be the case that you would have to pay extra for a weekend. €30 doesn't seem that bad really, though if the voucher was for a weekend break, I definitely wouldn't pay any extra and would go pack to the company that had the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Honestly, it depends on what the terms of the prize stated. Just ask those who ran the competition what exactly the prize was. If it was a midweek break, as many are, then €30 is very reasonable. As for the argument about additional spend on drinks etc, that just does not hold up, I know I wouldn't spend enough in a hotel in 2 days over and above bed, breakfast and dinner to give the hotel over €30 in additional profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Hiya people,

thanks so much for the advice. There were no terms and conditions attached to the prize so I got back in touch with the competition organisers and they are covering the cost of the difference.

All is well that ends well!

Thanks guys

rondeco wrote: »
    Hiya people,

thanks so much for the advice. There were no terms and conditions attached to the prize so I got back in touch with the competition organisers and they are covering the cost of the difference.

All is well that ends well!

Thanks guys

That is good customer service and the company deserves to be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Given the stunt they hotel tried to pull, I bet the dinner is limited to chicken or you have to pay extra. It happened a friend of mine who bought a two night B&B & one dinner package in an Irish hotel without being told of the limitation. He was livid as he only found out when sitting at the dining table with his wife! You'd expect wild salmon or a 12 oz. steak to be excluded but not that you could order only chicken or pay extra for everything else!

coylemj wrote: »
    Given the stunt they hotel tried to pull, I bet the dinner is limited to chicken or you have to pay extra. It happened a friend of mine who bought a two night B&B & one dinner package in an Irish hotel without being told of the limitation. He was livid as he only found out when sitting at the dining table with his wife! You'd expect wild salmon or a 12 oz. steak to be excluded but not that you could order only chicken or pay extra for everything else!

How about letting the OP go and enjoy the free weekend rather than guess that it will be useless? Why the negativity? It's great to have won - go and have a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Enjoy your prize OP I won similar a few years back got given a voucher for fixed amount of money which covered the 2 night B&B plus one evening meal midweek not quite at weekends. I used it at a weekend booked two single rooms and still had change. We were attending a function nearby that served a meal so evening meal was not required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

coylemj wrote: »

The hotel didn't pull a stunt, the people running the promotion just didn't pay for a voucher that can be used anytime and never put that on the literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

As for the argument about additional spend on drinks etc, that just does not hold up, I know I wouldn't spend enough in a hotel in 2 days over and above bed, breakfast and dinner to give the hotel over €30 in additional profit.

This is why I said potential spend. I know I would certainly spend in excess of €30 on alcohol if i spent a couple of nights at a hotel with the OH and I'm not much of a drinker. A single bottle of your average wine will cost that at the hotel restaurant. But yes, some people wouldn't spend any extra than what was given for free.

Hope the OP enjoys the prize

Advertisement