Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHARLIE COLINS LEAVES HIGHLAND

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Personally I'm not surprised given the fact that the broadcasting licence is up for grabs again sometime in the near future.

But I'll wish Charlie well.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

muffler wrote: »
    Personally I'm not surprised given the fact that the broadcasting licence is up for grabs again sometime in the near future.

But I'll wish Charlie well.
    Didnt know about the licence up for grabs so i suppose maybe with things changing in the broadcasting world he thought the time was right for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Here's hoping it brings a change in the scheduling....some shows are well past their best!

Here's hoping it brings a change in the scheduling....some shows are well past their best!
    True.

I think Danny Sharkey should replace Shaun Doherty ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

True.

I think Danny Sharkey should replace Shaun Doherty ;)
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am not a big listener to the station, but it seems to suit its location and its figures bear this out. Can't see them changing too much.

Its got a certain type of listener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am not a big listener to the station, but it seems to suit its location and its figures bear this out. Can't see them changing too much.

oldies.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Any thoughts on what shows are past it? I do think the breakfast show is dire and repetitive at this stage

I always thought Highland was reasonably balanced for a local station. A lot of country stuff I agree, but some different kinds of music as well from Keith Fletcher to Danny Sharkey's 50s shows. 50s music might not be your thing, but it is still another choice

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

Apparently there is going to be a contest for the license this time around, on the last ocassion I don't think anyone else bid against

There is talk that another Donegal Man Paddy Simpson is putting together a bid. If so maybe he has poached Charlie early on and it might suit Charlie as it would be Donegal Owned again if successful

I'd say if the other bid was successful, many of the current team would apply for and get positions with the new stations and the format wouldn't be overly different

I do think it would be good to see the license which is commercial, change every so often and a lot of the staff move to new station.

Charlie certainly was a huge figure especially when it comes to sports commentary even back to DCR days, it'd be hard to see him retire for good from broadcasting and I wish him well whatever happens

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anything Mr Simpson touches seems to be successful, so I am sure he'd make a good stab of a radio station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I can't say I'm sad to see him go not that I listened to highland much but when I did I found him highly annoying and opinionated on subjects he knew nothing about.

Anything Mr Simpson touches seems to be successful, so I am sure he'd make a good stab of a radio station.

Why thank you. :pac:

In fairness it would be a shame if Highland didn't get the license back again, their local sport coverage is second to none, in fact I'd almost go as far as to say the best in the country, although there is a fair few dodgy DJ's on there the fella on weekend mornings is shocking :D.

Ex mods can now be banned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Ex mods can now be banned :)

gimme the word boss i'll do it!

danniemcq wrote: »
    gimme the word boss i'll do it!
    muffler sits pondering and while tapping furiously with the index finger considers all the evidence but will reserve judgement for now :pac:

We could fine him though. X number of pints at the next beers night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

muffler sits pondering and while tapping furiously with the index finger considers all the evidence but will reserve judgement for now :pac:

We could fine him though. X number of pints at the next beers night :D

shhhhh he'll never organise it if he knows something like that could happen!

Back on topic

Damnit that doesn't work anymore :P

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

Steven Lynch now aswell, the station really does need a good shake up. I hope we don't loose it, its a good service but could be much better. Seems to be Irish country that's on any time I turn it on. I'd imagine a lot of younger listeners are being lost to iradio, today fm etc for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

its a good service but could be much better. Seems to be Irish country that's on any time I turn it on. I'd imagine a lot of younger listeners are being lost to iradio, today fm etc for this reason.

Fans of pop music and celebrity gossips have any number of stations to choose from but Highland is the only one supplying the mix of local news, sport and country music (much of it by local performers) that appeals to many listeners.
    I feel it would be a mistake for them to make too many changes to what is a very successful formula. They might gain a few more listeners but they would lose a lot of the current ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Seems to be doing a podcast now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Always the most listeners but the only LRS surrounded by sea or another jurisdiction. Minimal competition.

Never listen myself, a real granny station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Donal Kavanagh needs to go, such a bit of stuttering every time he does the news, ah ah ah ah.

Advertisement