Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Fast Food Store with Blue-Moulded Buns

Options
  • 10-06-2013 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post :confused:

Myself and OH ordered two meals from a well-known fast food chain. I was on the phone when we got the food and my OH ate his burger, and then I started to eat my chicken sandwich. About three bites in I thought there was something wrong and took the wrapper off and noticed that the bun was quite badly moulded. I took whatever food I had left on the tray back to the counter and asked for my money back. Initially the staff member refused, and said I could have another one. I asked to speak to the manager, and explained that I find it even more offensive that the staff member seemed to be sure there were fresh buns there, and that they really should have been used to begin with. The manager actually laughed, and said "Well there's nothing wrong with the Fanta, I'll assume you're paying for that!". After a polite squabble about how I reckoned that if someone didn't notice the mould, what else didn't they notice, he offered me a refund of the sandwich. As my partner ate the whole burger, but not the chips, I had to pay for all of that.

I'm a teeny bit annoyed. I get that my partner ate it, and to be honest I would have been complacent about paying for it since it was eaten if the staff hadn't been so nonchalant and frankly disrespectful about the fact someone in their ranks were being lax on HACCP regulations. Am I over-reacting here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I would not have let it go. I would have reported them. A refund wouldn't have been good enough unless it was given with a sincere apology. If I had been treated that way, I would have been quite loud in mentioning the fact that I had just been served a half eaten, Mouldy burger and that the manager didn't even have the decency to refund me for a disgusting, unsafe meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I was concerned that I might have been blowing it out of proportion. I study science, and seeing stuff like this under the microscope tends to amplify my disgust when I see it on food :p

Probably too late now, since I've given it back and have no proof it was mouldy. Although I definitely will not be giving that particular branch my custom again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

A polite email to the chains head office explaining what happened might soften the managers cough next time someone has a similar complaint. Maybe even cc the food safety authority so that the head office can't ignore you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Completely out of order. You need to write it down, word for word, and send a letter of complaint to their head office.

I had a similar issue in a place years ago, but when I showed the staff, they nearly wet themselves.

Take it up with the owner and the company head office. The bun being mouldy was probably bad rotation, but their attitude was well out of order.

ken wrote: »
    A polite email to the chains head office explaining what happened might soften the managers cough next time someone has a similar complaint. Maybe even cc the food safety authority so that the head office can't ignore you.

I might just do that. I've no intention of looking anything further. Neither me or my partner is sick, and I've often picked the mould off a slice of bread before toasting it in my college days. It's relatively harmless, but when stored somewhere that is obviously hot with plenty of steam to provide moisture it can lead to bigger problems. I was more concerned at the fact that I had no idea how long the bun had been stored to end up looking like that, and what other food had been stored with it that might be in a similar condition.

I would have been mortified and ordered in new buns, and dumped everything that was stored in the same cupboard. The next customer could be a woman with her kids, and she might not be so leniant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I always make sure I have a camera phone when eating in any of those fast food places:D they cant argue with pictures posted on-line showing their mouldy buns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

No harm in bit of blue mould - probably good for you too! (You say you study science so you should now what I mean)
    Assuming it was last week, the weather conditions would have been perfect for mould, even on fresh bread. - again, if you studied science you'd know this too and have kept an eye on all bread.

Ps. Blue mould is a form of penicillin and harmless in small quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Was just about to say... Free Penicillin with every order?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Soundman wrote: »
    Was just about to say... Free Penicillin with every order?

im allergic to penicillin

sandin wrote: »
    No harm in bit of blue mould - probably good for you too! (You say you study science so you should now what I mean)
    Assuming it was last week, the weather conditions would have been perfect for mould, even on fresh bread. - again, if you studied science you'd know this too and have kept an eye on all bread.

Ps. Blue mould is a form of penicillin and harmless in small quantities.

It wad earlier today actually. And it's also a sign that your bread is not actually fresh. Like I said I know it is relatively harmless but this wasn't a pinhead spot or two. Were talking closer to spores. Besides which, it's obvious that the staff didn't check the baps before giving put the order, and I'd be concerned what else they were lax with as a result. Theyre just lucky it was me they got and not some mother there with her kids who just sees mould as dirt.

Again, it's more the reaction of the manager to my complaint than the condition of the bread itself. I'm well aware that the heat and moisture in a small space is bound to speed up bacterial and fungal growth, but that is reason to be all the more vigilant, and had the growth been on my chicken it would have been a scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

So what if mould is harmless to people? Serving food on mouldy bread is going completely against HACCP regulations (I'm saying this as somebody who worked in a fast food place, and I stuck rigidly to HACCP rules).

If you get no joy from the HR department (hopefully you will!), I'd report it to the FSAI also. In fact, I'd actually do both simultaneously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement