Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One Price and Availability

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

SgtBob wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/10/microsoft-xbox-one-price-availability/

Out in November.

$499 in the US
    €499 in the EU... wait wut??

Thats about €120 more.. wow... Always preferred the Xbox, but will have to see what the PS4 is gonna be going for. That's a bit of a kick in the face.

You forgot to add sales tax to the US version - they never include tax in US pricing as different states have different taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

F1ngers wrote: »
    You forgot to add sales tax to the US version - they never include tax in US pricing as different states have different taxes.

True, but as far as I know the highest sales tax in the US is about 10 percent.

So $499 + ~ $50 = $549 = ~ €415

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

any news on the price of the "New" Xbox 360?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've stuck in a preorder on Amazon UK. They are doing the usual price promise on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

SgtBob wrote: »
    True, but as far as I know the highest sales tax in the US is about 10 percent.

So $499 + ~ $50 = $549 = ~ €415
    You're doing it the wrong way round, no? Instead of adding US tax, take off Irish VAT.

$499 is excluding tax, €499 without tax (23% VAT) is €405.69, which is $537.97 according to XE.com

Compared to the Sterling price, £429 (£357.50 ex 20% VAT), which works out at $557, we're getting a slightly better deal. That said, I seem to recall that we've charged €10-€20 extra per console compared to others in the eurozone in the past, probably because stock was coming from UK stores, or our VAT is higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Maybe you are right, but it still seems a bit nuts.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

You're doing it the wrong way round, no? Instead of adding US tax, take off Irish VAT.

$499 is excluding tax, €499 without tax (23% VAT) is €405.69, which is $537.97 according to XE.com

Compared to the Sterling price, £429 (£357.50 ex 20% VAT), which works out at $557, we're getting a slightly better deal. That said, I seem to recall that we've charged €10-€20 extra per console compared to others in the eurozone in the past, probably because stock was coming from UK stores, or our VAT is higher.

He did it the right way.

The end consumer will walk out of a US store having paid the equivalent of 415 euro while we'll be walking home 499 euro lighter.

Unless you can avoid paying the VAT there's no point working it out without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

He did it the right way.

The end consumer will walk out of a US store having paid the equivalent of 415 euro while we'll be walking home 499 euro lighter.

Unless you can avoid paying the VAT there's no point working it out without it.
    Fair enough. But that's more of a tax issue than a Microsoft issue. It's rare that a US company would take a hit trying to achieve price parity in a foreign market. If we were charged €415 instead, MS would get ~$50 less per console from us than they'd get from a US console sale. Everyone, bar Nintendo, make a loss on hardware, so would it be even worth their while to sell here at that point?

That said, the Xbox One costing €500 sucks :) Nothing about it has really caught my attention yet, so it'll be wait and see for me rather than day one purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

On this information (I'm pretty sure I'm being very optimistic)
    Commemorative Day One Achievement
    Exclusive Ryse: Son of Rome multiplayer map and sword with bonus attributes
    Four cars tuned to the top of their class for Forza Motorsport 5
    Exclusive sporting equipment for use in Kinect Sports Rivals
    Exclusive Dead Rising 3 Frank West and Chuck Greene Tribute Packs with bonus attributes

What are the odds of having the aforementioned games preloaded? I mean who wants a heap of DLC that you don't have games for?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

erkifino wrote: »
    On this information (I'm pretty sure I'm being very optimistic)

What are the odds of having the aforementioned games preloaded? I mean who wants a heap of DLC that you don't have games for?!
    zero, maybe the demos.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

ShaneU wrote: »
    zero, maybe the demos.

Yeah... I know... I can dream though... :(

Amazon are quick. They already have the price of the XBone listed at £429 from their placeholder price of £699. They have dropped the prices of the next gen games down from £69.99 too, thankfully :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Anyone know where I can pre order the Xbox one without paying the full amount, amazon and GameStop want full payment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Anyone know where I can pre order the Xbox one without paying the full amount, amazon and GameStop want full payment

You don't pay a penny to Amazon until it's released.

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    You don't pay a penny to Amazon until it's released.

Ok I will try again, it came up as a total on checkout, I didn't proceed in case my card got hit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

You'll be fine :)

The help section says: "Amazon.co.uk often offers items for sale before release. If an item hasn't been released yet you'll be able to see the expected release date on the item's Product Detail page.

You can place an order for one of these items in the same way as you'd order anything else. We won't charge your credit or debit card until we dispatch the order."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭halolma

Gamestop.ie are taking pre-orders... they will only charge €20 for your pre-order, then you pay off the rest etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

and they get 6 months interest on all those €20s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

halolma wrote: »
    Gamestop.ie are taking pre-orders... they will only charge €20 for your pre-order, then you pay off the rest etc..

Just hope they haven't gone the way of hmv or game by the time it's released...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Are you people serious about preordering the xbox one?
    Are you aware of the restrictions on lending games and the fact that after 24 hours of being disconnected from the internet that the console won't play any of your games?
    Just as an example if you bring it on holidays to somewhere and you haven't broadband connected you're not going to be able to play it.
    I can't understand why anyone would want that.
    Oh yeah it's also going to be region locked so no playing imported games either.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Are you aware of the restrictions on lending games and the fact that after 24 hours of being disconnected from the internet that the console won't play any of your games?
    Just as an example if you bring it on holidays to somewhere and you haven't broadband connected you're not going to be able to play it.
    Oh yeah it's also going to be region locked so no playing imported games either.

Really?! Holy crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I keep seeing that over and over, what if I bring my console on holidays. Who the fcuk does that?

only a low connection speed required so if you need to bring it on holiday you can surely teether from a smart phone, the lending games thing wont effect me once i have call of duty and ryse that will keep me going for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

People should not be buying this off amazon or any other UK site, you'll get charged the higher sterling price (unlikely to be that much of a discount to counter this) and then for most sites they'll add the extra Irish vat (20% for UK 23% for Ireland so 3% extra on top).

The same goes for the french or german sites, while €499 is the price for countries with EUro that includes the varying vat rates, France has 19.6% vat and pay €499 for the One while Ireland has 23% and still pays €499. If you order from say the German (19%) or French (19.6%) sites you'll be charged the same Euro price and then they'll add on the extra vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

quinnd6 wrote: »

I'm going to buy 2 just to annoy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dbloke

You can pre-order direct from the microsoftstore.com website.

Log in with your Live id and make sure to change region settings right down at bottom left to Ireland - English to get price in Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chiefohara05

Why are people pre-ordering a console straight away?

I always wait 6 months to see how the console wars fare out and then pick what i see as the winner.

I WAS considering buying the xbox one at launch if it was backwards compatible but it isn't.

If my library of games is limited to the 360, then ill see who does the best deal for the next gen

Why are people pre-ordering a console straight away?

There is the whole experience of it all. Getting something new, exploring a new gaming eco system for the first time and everyone around is in the same boat and you can't go online looking for guide and tips, it's great.

I love it. I only ever got one console at launch before and can't wait to do it again (won't be with the XBO mind). I never limit myself to one console so I don't care about a "winner". I just want as much gaming as possible,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Advertisement