Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padi course abroad

Options
  • 10-06-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advise on diving. My wonderful wife has decided to treat me to a padi course and I was thinking of doing the course on holidays end of september/ early October some were in Europe like lanzarote that way the mrs can get a holiday out of it as well. So I'm wondering does anyone have any ideas were a good location to do the padi course and a reputable company to do it with. Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Lucky you!

I can't help you on location, but I would give you this piece of advice: Do the E-learning/classroom/swimming pool sessions with a centre here before you go, and then get a referral to complete the 4 Open Water dives with a centre wherever you go. That way you don't have to spend half your holiday in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

Why not do the full course here and then just enjoy the diving when you do go on holidays . No waisted days spent in classrooms etc then you get to enjoy the holiday aswell ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Any time i go to Malta i go to ocean mysteries http://www.oceanmysteriesdiving.com/

I know the owner along time her name is Jacqui. With students she is brilliant if you dont get something she will do it over until you get it.

If your doing it here i'd highly reccomend Emerald Diving Ireland based in the National Aquatic center in Blach.

Name of the owner is Brian http://www.emeralddivingireland.ie/
    I learned to dive with them again like with ocean mysteries you learn at your own pace and he makes you feel so at ease and give's you the confidence to do and learn what you want :)

I hope you do well in your course where ever ya do it :)
    Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Check out www.safaridiving.com if in Lanzarote

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Peteysquad

Thank you all for the feedback above! I am based in Cork and the only place I know of has closed down, so options of doing course here in Cork is limited with out doing a bit of mileage, so I might as well do it abroad and incorporate into hols. Could someone break it down in terms of time of course, i.e. split between class and diving? Have heard its possible to get it in 3 days abroad for full course!? Would like to do the class room part here, do you know of anywhere in cork area or on line? Thanks again guys for your advise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Aquaventures in Baltimore could sort you out. It's not much more than an hour down the road.

The PADI OW course consists of 5 classroom sessions, 5 confined water sessions (ie swimming pool) and 4 Open Water (sea or lake) dives.

The classroom/confined water sessions can often be combined so that you do 1.5 classroom sessions in one go, for example, and get it done quicker that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Safari diving are lovely people. Also very nice are poseidon diving in Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 raouls

While some places can do 'intensive' course they can be exhausting to be honest I would recomend allowing 5-7 days, this way not only do you allow for the possibility of the weather restricting dives (depending on where you go) but you can also take it a little easier. If you wanted to do the combine your course with a holiday, you may be best doing either the eLearning (online classroom stuff only) route, as previously suggested. Alternatively you could do the classroom and pool / confined water dives with a center such as Aquaventures. This way you can then head out on you holiday only needing two days of 'open water' dives to complete your course. Best of luck and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Peteysquad wrote: »
    Hi all, just looking for a bit of advise on diving. My wonderful wife has decided to treat me to a padi course and I was thinking of doing the course on holidays end of september/ early October some were in Europe like lanzarote that way the mrs can get a holiday out of it as well. So I'm wondering does anyone have any ideas were a good location to do the padi course and a reputable company to do it with. Thanks in advance

just back from lanzarote, the diving there is excellent...
    i did my advanced with Aquasport
    http://www.aquasport.eu.com/

highly recommend them, mick is a great instructor and the groups are kept small which is great for beginners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Peteysquad wrote: »
    Thank you all for the feedback above! I am based in Cork and the only place I know of has closed down, so options of doing course here in Cork is limited with out doing a bit of mileage, so I might as well do it abroad and incorporate into hols. Could someone break it down in terms of time of course, i.e. split between class and diving? Have heard its possible to get it in 3 days abroad for full course!? Would like to do the class room part here, do you know of anywhere in cork area or on line? Thanks again guys for your advise!

you could do it all in Waterworld tralee before you go ... they have their own pool and the sea nearby ...and accommodation ...so can literally do it all in a few days intensive training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ciglee

+1 on Aquasport - Hubbie and I did our AOWD with Mick in February, and it was brilliant. Mick is a great instructor, and the diving in Lanzarote is fabulous - lots of wildlife to be seen as it's a protected biosphere, and the water is a good bit warmer than in Ireland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tiredlegs

Safari diving in lanzarote. Great location for diving right on the beach and great staff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

I would recommend Safari Diving in Lanzarote as well. Location is so handy and the lads are great!!

Advertisement