Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013, So How is everybody Finding the Leaving cert This year?

• 10-06-2013 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I have alot of helpfull notes on alot of subjects if any one is interested..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭200c200c

Decent enough papers thank god :) thank you SEC ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Daniel L

ino the maths papers werent too bad i must say :p! but seriouslt project maths needs to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Anything for ag science or even DCG?

Anything at all on french or how to even go about learning anything for it ? Screwed for it :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

So far I'm worried because the papers have been fairly simple...tough marking schemes ahead I reckon!

• Advertisement

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Anything for ag science or even DCG?
    Brilliant Video tutorials for DCG :)http://leavingcertdcg.weebly.com/

peekachoo wrote: »
    So far I'm worried because the papers have been fairly simple...tough marking schemes ahead I reckon!
    yES THATS TRUE ACTUALLY THE PAPERS HAVE BEEN VERY EASY especially geography was handy enough and id say maths will still get marked easy because it is new to the syllabus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 94Conor

Got any business notes?

200c200c wrote: »
    Anything at all on french or how to even go about learning anything for it ? Screwed for it :/
    Here you Go ..
    Sequence of Tenses
    [URL="javascript:newAlert('http://www.axa.ie/');"]supportingeducation_AXA.gif[/URL]

It is very difficult to get French grammar right if you 'think in English' while writing in French. Translating literally is a dangerous thing to do, and this section will help you to avoid making that mistake. You will find a list of grammatical French structures, with examples, that differ drastically from the ones you use in English. To improve your writing techniques you will have to have a good grasp of all of them.

Sequences of Tenses with 'if'

Present + future in English =(Present) + (Future) in French, e.g., If I have time, I will go out = Si j'ai le temps, je sortirai.
    Past + conditional in English = (Imparfait) + (Conditionnel) in French, e.g., If I had time, I would go out = Si j'avais le temps, je sortirais.
    Pluperfect + past conditional in English = (plus-que-parfait) + (Conditionnel passé) in French, e.g., If I'd had the time, I would have gone out = Si j'avais eu le temps, je serais sorti.

Sequences of Tenses in the Future

When (quand) + present + future in English = (Futur) + (Futur) in French, e.g., When I have the money, I will travel = Quand j'aurai de l'argent, je voyagerai.

Note, though, that au moment où and lorsque also mean when, and they work the same way as quand. For example, Lorsque/Au moment où j'aurai de l'argent, je voyagerai.

As soon as (dès que) + present + future in English = (Futur) + (Futur) in French.
    As soon as I have money, I will travel = Dès que j'aurai de l'argent, je voyagerai.

Note that aussitôt que also means 'as soon as' and works the same way as dès que, e.g., Aussitôt que j'aurai de l'argent, je voyagerai.

While (pendant que) + present + future in English = (Futur) + (Futur) in French
    While you work, I will go to town = Pendant que tu travailleras, j'irai en ville.

Note that tandis que also means 'while' and works the same way as pendant que. e.g., Tandis que tu travailleras, j'irai en ville.

Sequences of Tenses in the Subjunctive

It is necessary that I should (Il faut que or Il est nécessaire que) + Présent du subjonctif.
    For example, 'It is necessary that I go out later' (Il faut que je sorte plus tard).
    Here is a list of some expressions that also take the subjunctive:
    • Je veux que (I want that…)
    • Je doute que (I doubt that …)
    • Je suis heureux/content que (I am happy/glad that …)
    • Je préfère que (I prefer that …)
    • Je souhaite que (I wish that …)
    • Je crains que (I fear that …)
    • Je regrette que (I regret that …)
    • Je suis désolé que (I am sorry that …)
    • J'ai peur que (I am afraid that…)
    Impersonal expressions
    • Il est temps que (It is time that…)
    • Il est nécessaire que (It is necessary that …)
    • Il est important que (It is important that…)
    • Il convient que (It is suitable that…)
    • Il est honteux que (It is a shame that…)
    • Il est possible/impossible que (It is possible/impossible that…)
    • Il est utile/inutile que (It is useful/useless that…)
    • Il est bon que (It is good that…)

Sequences of Tenses in Direct and Indirect Speech
    Direct speech
    • Il dit + présent (e.g., Il dit: "Je suis malade'')
    • Il dit + passé composé (e.g., Il dit: "J'ai été malade")
    • Il dit + imparfait (e.g., Il dit "J'etais malade")
    • Il dit + futur (e.g., Il dit "Je serai en retard")
    • Il dit + conditionnel (e.g., Il dit "Ce serait bien")
    Indirect speech
    • Il a dit que + imparfait (e.g., Il a dit qu'il était malade)
    • Il a dit que + plus-que-parfait (e.g., Il a dit qu'il avait été malade)
    • Il a dit que + conditionnel (e.g., Il a dit qu'il serait en retard)
    • Il a dit que + conditionnel (e.g., Il a dit que ce serait bien)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

OL home economics and math = :( Everything else is going okay.

• Advertisement

94Conor wrote: »
    Got any business notes?
    Here ...

Multinational Corporations and Global Marketing

Introduction
    As we enter the third millennium, the world has truly become a much smaller place in which to live and transact business. Technological developments, vastly improved systems of communication, and the opening-up of previously closed markets in Eastern Europe and Asia, have moved us much closer to a global market. In this environment, big corporations have the opportunity to exploit economies of scale, produce their products in the most cost-effective manner, and promote their brands in every corner of the globe, thus becoming worldwide players in their particular industry.
    The mobile phone industry is a rapidly growing and potentially lucrative sector, particularly in Europe, and Ireland represents a good case in point. Worldwide, there are an estimated 400 million cellular phone users but this will grow to 1,000 million in three years' time. The Finnish manufacturing firm, Nokia, now has 25 percent of the world market and is ranked as the eleventh largest firm in the world by market valuation based on their successful internationalisation programme. Another global giant is Nike, who dominates the sports shoe sector with 33 percent of the world market.

In December 1999, the Ford Corporation spent $10 million (€11.5m) buying television spots worldwide for what was a truly global advertisement. A two-minute ad featuring their seven brand models was broadcast in one time zone after another, reaching an estimated one billion people in one night. Coca-Cola and Levi jeans have made very effective use of global advertising to sell their standardised products throughout the known world.

A truly multinational (or transnational) corporation is usually taken to mean a business with its headquarters in one-country and production facilities in at least six other countries.

In Ireland, multinationals have played a very major role in the development of the economy. Since the mid-1960s, about 1,100 such companies have set up here. They produce more than half the gross output of the country, employ some 120,000 staff, and account for much of Ireland's strong export performance in the 1990s. They are mainly American, German, and Japanese corporations in high-tech industries such as electronics, computers, and pharmaceuticals. Names such as Intel, Dell, Hewlett Packard, and SmithKline Beecham are among the biggest producers and employers in the country.

They are attracted to Ireland by the generous tax breaks and incentives offered by the Industrial Development Authority (the State agency charged with promoting direct foreign investment in Ireland), plus the availability of a young, skilled workforce, and access to the Single European Market.

Reasons for the Success of Multinationals
    Global marketing - a large marketing budget is spent creating a worldwide image for their products. All aspects of the four Ps are taken into consideration.
    • Product: Due to high levels of demand, products are produced in large quantities, allowing the multinationals to benefit from economies of scale. This drives down per unit cost. In addition, they have the ability to move production facilities to low wage countries.
    • Price: A market leader such as Nike is able to charge a premium price for their sportswear despite the low cost of production in third world countries. This allows the company to perform well on the stock exchange but has left many observers questioning their ethical code especially in relation to child labour. Microsoft are often criticised for the high price of their software but their virtual monopoly of the world market makes it hard for other firms to compete.
    • Place: Multinational companies are keen to protect their rights to distribute their products as they see fit. A court case in England supported several top brand clothes companies in their objection to supermarket chains selling their products at low prices. Once international distribution chains have been put into place it becomes easier for these companies to launch new products. Hyundai, a Korean car firm, has made great strides in Ireland in recent years as its dealership has developed but Kia, the latest Korean brand, is still struggling to find a market.
    • Promotion: Multinationals must decide if they are going to go for a standard image or an adapted image in each market.
    For example, Coca Cola creates a standard image throughout the world of people enjoying life while drinking coke. One of its most famous campaigns contained the song 'I'd like to buy the world a coke' and pictured people from all over the world singing happily. Part of their success is that people listen to this message and don't hear the real message: I'd like the world to buy a coke.

It now looks as if Vodafone is about to standardise its image in Ireland and eliminate the Eircell brand.

EuroDisney's failure to adapt their successful American marketing mix caused huge losses and it was only when the needs of Europeans were considered that it was able to survive.

The World Trade Organisation and The World Bank: The aim of these organisations is to remove barriers to trade and to allow the movement of international capital to low cost centres of production. Without this environment, multinationals could not succeed.

Direct inward investment policies: Multinationals bring jobs and prosperity to local economies and as a result there is keen competition to entice them. As a result a multinational can pick and choose the best grants and tax incentives on offer. IDA Ireland has performed well in this area but some commentators worry about the foot loose nature of international capital.

Information technology: The revolution in information technology has enabled large organisations communicate in real time through the use of e-mail, the Internet, video conferencing and many other communications devices. The power of computing has allowed multinational firms like Dell to offer job production on a mass scale as each computer can be manufactured to individual requirements.

Recruitment: Multinationals are able to attract and retain top management because of the high wages, good conditions and the possibilities for promotion.

Benchmarking: Multinationals adopt world class manufacturing techniques and through benchmarking they constantly compare their production techniques to the best performers in the world. Total Quality techniques are used to ensure high quality products are produced at the lowest possible costs. Dell in Limerick operates a 'Just in Time' system of stock control. Only three days stock of processors are held so when Intel offered a large discount on processors Dell were able to lower the price of finished goods within a week. This dynamic pricing gives them a competitive edge in a very competitive market place.

N64 wrote: »
    OL home economics and math = :( Everything else is going okay.
    Yeah maths is a bummer .. what is involved in home economics? is it alot like science? or is it all about cokking food?

Daniel L wrote: »
    Here you Go ..
    Sequence of Tenses
    [URL="javascript:newAlert('http://www.axa.ie/');"]supportingeducation_AXA.gif[/URL]

It is very difficult to get French grammar right if you 'think in English' while writing in French. Translating literally is a dangerous thing to do, and this section will help you to avoid making that mistake. You will find a list of grammatical French structures, with examples, that differ drastically from the ones you use in English. To improve your writing techniques you will have to have a good grasp of all of them.

Sequences of Tenses with 'if'

Present + future in English =(Present) + (Future) in French, e.g., If I have time, I will go out = Si j'ai le temps, je sortirai.
    Past + conditional in English = (Imparfait) + (Conditionnel) in French, e.g., If I had time, I would go out = Si j'avais le temps, je sortirais.
    Pluperfect + past conditional in English = (plus-que-parfait) + (Conditionnel passé) in French, e.g., If I'd had the time, I would have gone out = Si j'avais eu le temps, je serais sorti.

Sequences of Tenses in the Future

When (quand) + present + future in English = (Futur) + (Futur) in French, e.g., When I have the money, I will travel = Quand j'aurai de l'argent, je voyagerai.

Note, though, that au moment où and lorsque also mean when, and they work the same way as quand. For example, Lorsque/Au moment où j'aurai de l'argent, je voyagerai.

As soon as (dès que) + present + future in English = (Futur) + (Futur) in French.
    As soon as I have money, I will travel = Dès que j'aurai de l'argent, je voyagerai.

Note that aussitôt que also means 'as soon as' and works the same way as dès que, e.g., Aussitôt que j'aurai de l'argent, je voyagerai.

While (pendant que) + present + future in English = (Futur) + (Futur) in French
    While you work, I will go to town = Pendant que tu travailleras, j'irai en ville.

Note that tandis que also means 'while' and works the same way as pendant que. e.g., Tandis que tu travailleras, j'irai en ville.

Sequences of Tenses in the Subjunctive

It is necessary that I should (Il faut que or Il est nécessaire que) + Présent du subjonctif.
    For example, 'It is necessary that I go out later' (Il faut que je sorte plus tard).
    Here is a list of some expressions that also take the subjunctive:
    • Je veux que (I want that…)
    • Je doute que (I doubt that …)
    • Je suis heureux/content que (I am happy/glad that …)
    • Je préfère que (I prefer that …)
    • Je souhaite que (I wish that …)
    • Je crains que (I fear that …)
    • Je regrette que (I regret that …)
    • Je suis désolé que (I am sorry that …)
    • J'ai peur que (I am afraid that…)
    Impersonal expressions
    • Il est temps que (It is time that…)
    • Il est nécessaire que (It is necessary that …)
    • Il est important que (It is important that…)
    • Il convient que (It is suitable that…)
    • Il est honteux que (It is a shame that…)
    • Il est possible/impossible que (It is possible/impossible that…)
    • Il est utile/inutile que (It is useful/useless that…)
    • Il est bon que (It is good that…)

Sequences of Tenses in Direct and Indirect Speech
    Direct speech
    • Il dit + présent (e.g., Il dit: "Je suis malade'')
    • Il dit + passé composé (e.g., Il dit: "J'ai été malade")
    • Il dit + imparfait (e.g., Il dit "J'etais malade")
    • Il dit + futur (e.g., Il dit "Je serai en retard")
    • Il dit + conditionnel (e.g., Il dit "Ce serait bien")
    Indirect speech
    • Il a dit que + plus-que-parfait (e.g., Il a dit qu'il avait été malade)
    • Il a dit que + conditionnel (e.g., Il a dit qu'il serait en retard)
    • Il a dit que + conditionnel (e.g., Il a dit que ce serait bien)
    Woooow :L cheers though :) hopefully this will help :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

It hasn't been the easiest year if you ask me.. so far anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Yeah maths is a bummer .. what is involved in home economics? is it alot like science? or is it all about cokking food?

The main part of the curriculum is food science, yes (if you did biology, you would find it easy) - other areas include consumer studies, sociology, etc.

200c200c wrote: »
    Woooow :L cheers though :) hopefully this will help :D
    It should.. once you get the jist of these your pretty much sorted for anything your asked.

0mega wrote: »
    It hasn't been the easiest year if you ask me.. so far anyway.
    What type of points are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Think it's be okay so far, maths P1 was much nicer than P2 imho, but I'm not a project maths fan at all. English and Irish were ok, but I managed to make stupid mistakes - oh well, this done now!

Think as long as they're marked fairly and the mess up on the maths doesn't cause too much upset we can't really complain.

Oh yeh i heard about that what happened with the maths? was a mistake made or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Oh yeh i heard about that what happened with the maths? was a mistake made or something?

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/exams/exams-commission-confirms-errors-on-both-leaving-and-junior-cert-papers-29334081.html

Meant a lot of people (me included) spent a lot of wasted time on an impossible Q. Not too impressed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 joxser

Any tips or predictions for history???

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

sorry but i actually burst out laughing at this, its the little things :pac: thanks for those business notes any more?:P

sorry but i actually burst out laughing at this, its the little things :pac: thanks for those business notes any more?:P
    OH YEH MY MISS SPELLING woops :pac: YEH SURE HERE YA GO :cool:
    International Trade and the Irish Economy

Introduction

Ireland is a small open economy with an entire population of less than four million people. At the same time, we enjoy a standard of living that is beyond that of many similar sized nations and that of some very larger ones.
    One of the main reasons for this is that we have always looked beyond our own national boundaries and recognised the need for engaging in international trade. A combination of the following factors has meant that international trade has always been a necessity:
    • A small indigenous population
    • A lack of essential raw materials
    • A growing desire for a varied supply of goods and services
    • Climate
    • Social and historical connections abroad
    • The drive for growth

The benefits of free international trade to Ireland

• Larger markets: Irish firms have free access to a market of over 350 million people who are high-income earners in the EU. This compares favourably to the 3.5 million people in Ireland. This larger market allows firms to expand and benefit from economies of scale.
    • Imports: Firms are allowed to import raw materials, components and capital equipment without meeting barriers to trade such as tariffs and quotas.
    • Reduces risk: A business selling to a wide range of foreign markets is less dependent and may be better able to survive an economic downturn. Unfortunately, Irish small to medium enterprises are too dependent on the UK market. The multinationals have taken full advantage of the bigger market.
    • Economic growth: The fuel behind the Celtic Tiger has been the dramatic growth in Irish exports.
    • International cooperation: International trade encourages communication, understanding and cooperation, which reduce the chance of hostility. The World Trade Organisation was established in 1995 with the aim of reducing or eliminating global barriers to trade. America's recent decision to put a 30 percent tariff on steel imports is against WTO agreements. This action threatens free trade.
    • Specialisation: Free trade means that Ireland does not have to try to be self-sufficient. Instead, we can specialise and produce a surplus, which can be traded on the international market. Ireland has a competitive advantage as a food producer.
    • Choice and variety: A wider range of goods and services are available for consumption as a result of free trade and this gives rise to a higher standard of living.
    • Standards: There is a pressure on domestic firms to meet the standards of international competition and this should translate into value for the customer. Ryanair is enjoying international success offering a competitively priced service.

The Nature of International Trade

At the moment, exports from this country are about 60% of our total national income. This amounts to approximately €152 million per day and is growing. Exports of nearly all goods (visible trade) and services (invisible trade) are growing. The benefits and opportunities of the Single European Market, the emergence of new markets in Eastern Europe and beyond, the global movement towards free trade and the removal of trade barriers, the influence of new technologies, and the impact of huge transnational companies are all beginning to take effect.

As a nation, we enjoy a healthy surplus on both the Balance of Trade and the Balance of Payments. This in turn is helping to fuel the 'Celtic Tiger' with all the subsequent benefits of nearly full employment, record levels of growth, reduced taxation, and a higher standard of living than ever before experienced.

This positive state of affairs did not arise by accident. Much planning, a great deal of hard work, and not a little luck has brought us to the point we are at now. To maintain this position we must, as a small trading nation, be aware of the challenges that lie ahead.

Challenges to Irish firms in the international market place

In order to be a success in the global market Irish firms must overcome the following barriers:

• Legal restrictions: Thanks to the harmonisation of EU law, Ireland doesn't face this barrier within the EU but when trading with the USA or Japan, Irish firms must ensure all laws are obeyed.
    • Quality: Due to the level of competition allowed by the movement towards free trade, Irish companies must produce at the highest standards. Many firms apply for the international ISO9000 quality awards to reassure customers of high standards.
    • Languages: Irish firms tend to rely on their trading partners to speak English but language skills should be encouraged in order to facilitate trade. Great care is needed in the translation of all business correspondence, packaging and manuals.
    • Location: Ireland incurs higher transport costs than many of its European competitors and as a result must control costs to remain competitive.
    • Making foreign payments: Even with the advent of the Euro it is still proving difficult to make foreign payments. A small shoe retailer was complaining he could not write a euro cheque from the business account to pay for Italian imports. He still had to use an international bank draft. At least the euro has eliminated exchange risks but as Sterling remains outside the euro, Irish traders are still exposed to exchange risks when dealing with firms in the UK. A weak Euro benefits Irish exporters to the UK but Irish importers would be advised to find suppliers within the Euro zone.
    • Customs and Cultures: Irish firms must ensure that they carry out business in agreement with the customs and culture of their trading partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Wouldn't say they've been hard really, and I've been horrendously sick so far. Confident of getting my course so yeah, keep 'em coming!

oH AND THESE MIGHT COME IN HANDY ASWELL..;)
    Enterprise - Starting a Business

Stages Involved in Setting Up A Business

All entrepreneurs who aim to start a business must go through the following steps in pursuit of their dream:

• Finding the idea: The idea can come to an individual through an interest or a skill. One of Ireland's leading exports over the past twenty years has been the music of U2. The band, which forms the centre of this business empire, was set up after Larry Mullen placed a notice on the school notice board looking for other students who had an interest in music and wished to form a band. For more information, click here
    • Deciding on the form of ownership: The entrepreneur must decide on the legal form of ownership. There are three main options: sole trader, partnership or private limited company.
      For more information, click here
    • Writing the business plan: Without clearly defined objectives the business will be directionless and hard to control. The plan will summarise the business project and give details on the important areas of finance, management, production and marketing.
    • Raising capital: The owners are expected to raise at least one third of the start-up finance. They can use the plan to borrow from the bank or to raise grants from the State agencies.
    • Creating the team: It is recognised by most financial institutions that the key to success in a business start up is the management team. It is therefore important to assemble an experienced, skilful and committed group who are willing to work long hours to ensure success. (More detail in Management Activities and Skills, Topic 6.)
    • Developing the product: This involves screening the product idea in order not to waste resources. The concept must be developed so that it has a unique selling point, which the customer can appreciate. A feasibility study is carried out and, if favourable, a prototype should be developed and test marketed. Finally, the product is launched and the business has started.

The Business Plan

The starting point for such a venture is the production of a comprehensive business plan describing the nature of the business, its objectives, strategies and resources. This document is a vital aid for the aspiring entrepreneur - it will act as a "road-map" for the business and will be viewed by potential partners, investors and financiers of the venture. To find out more, click here.

Start-up Finance

One of the biggest problems for the entrepreneur is finding the funds to start the business. A combination of the following three sources is generally used:

1. Equity is the money the owner(s) invests in the business. This is also referred to as equity capital.
    In the case of a sole trader these funds may be raised:

• By using savings built up over time
    • By using redundancy money
    • By using a lotto win or an inheritance
    In the case of a partnership there can be between two and twenty partners so it is easier to raise a large amount of capital but profits must be adequate to reward each partner.

In the case of a private limited company there can be between one to fifty shareholders. As partners generally do not have limited liability it is easier to raise funds from shareholders as they are prepared to invest funds without taking an active part in the business.

2. Debt is the money supplied by institutions or people outside the business. This money must be repaid within certain time limits and interest is charged over the life of the loan. When borrowing from a bank, the bank will have to make a decision whether to give the loan or not. They will make their decision by examining the following factors:

• The details of the management of the enterprise: The bank will need to discover who effectively controls the business and then assess their ability and integrity.
    • The nature of the business conducted: The following questions need to be answered:
      o Is it in a growing sector?
      o What is the extent of the competition?
      o Has the target market been identified?
      o Is the business able to benefit from technology?
      The business plan should reveal the answer to these questions.
    • Amount and purpose of the loan: The business must clearly state the use to which they are going to put the funds. This could range from the purchase of fixed assets to the provision of working capital.
    • The financial position of the borrower: The borrowers past and present record with the bank will be examined in order to make a judgement on their creditworthiness.
    • Repayment capacity: It is essential that the proposal will generate sufficient cash to meet the repayment schedule. The banks will create a repayment schedule to suit the business if they are convinced the proposal will be a success.
    • Security: It is usual for the borrower to supply an asset that the bank can take if the loan is not repaid.
    • Equity stake by the borrower: The bank will expect the borrower to invest money in the new business, as this will be evidence of their commitment to the project.
    3. Grants are an amount of money given to a business in return for meeting certain criteria. This money does not have to be repaid once the business fulfils its obligations under the original agreement. State agencies such as Enterprise Ireland and The County Enterprise Boards provide grants for reasons ranging from feasibility study grants to capital equipment grants.

The Production Process

The entrepreneur must consider the production options available to the business. The three main options are:

1. Job production involves making a product to order so that each item produced is unique. The customer must give clear instructions with regard to the required design and specifications of the product. This means items are not held in stock.

Job production until recently was associated with a low volume of production. A tailor might make nine or ten fitted suits in a week. Now, with the improvement in communications, it is possible for large corporations to deal directly with their customers. Both Dell and Gateway - two of the largest producers of computers in the world - produce all their computers to order. The order can be completed on the phone, over the Internet or in one of their stores.

2. Batch production refers to the production of a group of related products. It involves producing the required amount of one product, then changing the production set-up and producing the required quota of the next product. As production is not continuous, it needs careful planning in order to avoid bottlenecks. In a bakery, the ovens can be used to make many different varieties of bread and cake and it is important that production is scheduled so that demand can be met.

3. Mass production involves the continuous production of a product that does not change. Henry Ford was the first car manufacturer to use this technique. The 'Model T Ford' followed a standard design, was made from standardised parts and was produced on an assembly line. Mass production requires a large investment in machinery. This machinery tends to be fully automated and, if high volume output can be achieved, the unit cost of production is lower than in either of the other two methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

oH AND THESE MIGHT COME IN HANDY ASWELL..;)
    Enterprise - Starting a Business

Stages Involved in Setting Up A Business

All entrepreneurs who aim to start a business must go through the following steps in pursuit of their dream:

• Finding the idea: The idea can come to an individual through an interest or a skill. One of Ireland's leading exports over the past twenty years has been the music of U2. The band, which forms the centre of this business empire, was set up after Larry Mullen placed a notice on the school notice board looking for other students who had an interest in music and wished to form a band. For more information, click here
    • Deciding on the form of ownership: The entrepreneur must decide on the legal form of ownership. There are three main options: sole trader, partnership or private limited company.
      For more information, click here
    • Writing the business plan: Without clearly defined objectives the business will be directionless and hard to control. The plan will summarise the business project and give details on the important areas of finance, management, production and marketing.
    • Raising capital: The owners are expected to raise at least one third of the start-up finance. They can use the plan to borrow from the bank or to raise grants from the State agencies.
    • Creating the team: It is recognised by most financial institutions that the key to success in a business start up is the management team. It is therefore important to assemble an experienced, skilful and committed group who are willing to work long hours to ensure success. (More detail in Management Activities and Skills, Topic 6.)
    • Developing the product: This involves screening the product idea in order not to waste resources. The concept must be developed so that it has a unique selling point, which the customer can appreciate. A feasibility study is carried out and, if favourable, a prototype should be developed and test marketed. Finally, the product is launched and the business has started.

The Business Plan

The starting point for such a venture is the production of a comprehensive business plan describing the nature of the business, its objectives, strategies and resources. This document is a vital aid for the aspiring entrepreneur - it will act as a "road-map" for the business and will be viewed by potential partners, investors and financiers of the venture. To find out more, click here.

Start-up Finance

One of the biggest problems for the entrepreneur is finding the funds to start the business. A combination of the following three sources is generally used:

1. Equity is the money the owner(s) invests in the business. This is also referred to as equity capital.
    In the case of a sole trader these funds may be raised:

• By using savings built up over time
    • By using redundancy money
    • By using a lotto win or an inheritance
    In the case of a partnership there can be between two and twenty partners so it is easier to raise a large amount of capital but profits must be adequate to reward each partner.

In the case of a private limited company there can be between one to fifty shareholders. As partners generally do not have limited liability it is easier to raise funds from shareholders as they are prepared to invest funds without taking an active part in the business.

2. Debt is the money supplied by institutions or people outside the business. This money must be repaid within certain time limits and interest is charged over the life of the loan. When borrowing from a bank, the bank will have to make a decision whether to give the loan or not. They will make their decision by examining the following factors:

• The details of the management of the enterprise: The bank will need to discover who effectively controls the business and then assess their ability and integrity.
    • The nature of the business conducted: The following questions need to be answered:
      o Is it in a growing sector?
      o What is the extent of the competition?
      o Has the target market been identified?
      o Is the business able to benefit from technology?
      The business plan should reveal the answer to these questions.
    • Amount and purpose of the loan: The business must clearly state the use to which they are going to put the funds. This could range from the purchase of fixed assets to the provision of working capital.
    • The financial position of the borrower: The borrowers past and present record with the bank will be examined in order to make a judgement on their creditworthiness.
    • Repayment capacity: It is essential that the proposal will generate sufficient cash to meet the repayment schedule. The banks will create a repayment schedule to suit the business if they are convinced the proposal will be a success.
    • Security: It is usual for the borrower to supply an asset that the bank can take if the loan is not repaid.
    • Equity stake by the borrower: The bank will expect the borrower to invest money in the new business, as this will be evidence of their commitment to the project.
    3. Grants are an amount of money given to a business in return for meeting certain criteria. This money does not have to be repaid once the business fulfils its obligations under the original agreement. State agencies such as Enterprise Ireland and The County Enterprise Boards provide grants for reasons ranging from feasibility study grants to capital equipment grants.

The Production Process

The entrepreneur must consider the production options available to the business. The three main options are:

1. Job production involves making a product to order so that each item produced is unique. The customer must give clear instructions with regard to the required design and specifications of the product. This means items are not held in stock.

Job production until recently was associated with a low volume of production. A tailor might make nine or ten fitted suits in a week. Now, with the improvement in communications, it is possible for large corporations to deal directly with their customers. Both Dell and Gateway - two of the largest producers of computers in the world - produce all their computers to order. The order can be completed on the phone, over the Internet or in one of their stores.

2. Batch production refers to the production of a group of related products. It involves producing the required amount of one product, then changing the production set-up and producing the required quota of the next product. As production is not continuous, it needs careful planning in order to avoid bottlenecks. In a bakery, the ovens can be used to make many different varieties of bread and cake and it is important that production is scheduled so that demand can be met.

3. Mass production involves the continuous production of a product that does not change. Henry Ford was the first car manufacturer to use this technique. The 'Model T Ford' followed a standard design, was made from standardised parts and was produced on an assembly line. Mass production requires a large investment in machinery. This machinery tends to be fully automated and, if high volume output can be achieved, the unit cost of production is lower than in either of the other two methods.

thanks so much you're actually a life saver :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Any History?

thanks so much you're actually a life saver :P
    and heres the last of them :)
    Consumer protection

1980 Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act

Traditionally, the basic principle for consumers when entering transactions was "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware) which encouraged the application of common sense and due care in one's dealings. However, a more substantial framework for consumer protection was established in the 1980 Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act:
    • This transferred legal responsibility to the retailer ("caveat vendor" - let the seller beware).
    • The onus is now on the seller to ensure that goods are of merchantable quality, as described, fit for their purpose, and conform to sample. Services must be provided by persons with due skill, the materials used must be of merchantable quality and any goods supplied as part of the service must be of merchantable quality.
    • Signs limiting the liability of retailers were now to be illegal.
    • Guarantees could not affect statutory rights and the time period must be clearly stated.
    • Hire purchase goods are protected by the act but the consumer may complain to either the retailer or HP Company.
    • Unsolicited goods (unordered goods sent to your home) may be kept within thirty days of telling the seller to collect them or within six months if no notice is given.
    • Motor vehicles sold privately have an implied condition that the car must be free from any defect, which renders it dangerous to the public.

1978 Consumer Information Act

The 1978 Consumer Information Act has as its main purpose to prevent people who supply goods and services to the public from making false or misleading statements about them. This includes advertising, trade descriptions and information on prices.

It also set up the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs, whose functions include:

• Responsibility for enforcing the provisions of the Consumer Information Act and the Consumer Credit Act.
    • Provides information on consumer rights.
    • Promotes honesty and fairness in advertising.
    • Investigates complaints regarding false descriptions and misleading statements. The director takes the case to court and the consumer may receive damages as a result of the case but the main purpose is to prosecute the offender on behalf of the State.
    • Advises the government on consumer issues.
    • Publishes an annual report and review of their activity during the year.

Solutions to Consumer Problems

In the Leaving Cert, students must be able to outline non-legislative and legislative solutions to consumer problems. For example, a dispute over a product or service worth €900 could go through the following stages:

(a) Non-legislative solutions
    • Negotiation: The consumer could return to the business and ask to see the sales assistant. The consumer would outline their problem indicating the basis of the complaint. If any of the consumer's legal rights had been broken, the assistant should agree to solve the problem. The manager may be called to help the negotiations. If no agreement is reached the conflict may be resolved with the help of a third party such as outlined below.
    • Trade association: If the dispute concerned a car, the consumer may contact the Society of the Irish Motor Industry to investigate the dispute. The association will investigate the complaint against its member and can threaten expulsion if the member has acted incorrectly.
    • The media: Bringing the dispute to the attention of the local or national media can often result in a fair settlement.
    • Ombudsman: an ombudsman could be used if the dispute involved a complaint against a public sector organisation, an insurance company or a financial institution. The consumer must have tried to solve the problem before using the ombudsman.
    • The Consumer Association of Ireland provides an informal and inexpensive method of resolving conflicts called the Consumer Personal Service. A small fee is paid which is refundable if you have no case.
    (b) Legislative solutions

If no agreement can be reached, an individual can take a case to court if any of their legal rights contained in the Sales of Goods and Supply of Services Act have been infringed. If the complaint is for less than €1,270 the Small Claims Court can be used. This has the advantage of being inexpensive as no solicitors are required. Upon the payment of a small fee, the consumer can submit a complaint form to the local district court. If the seller contests the issue, then both sides meet with the Registrar of the Small Claims Court to arrive at a solution. If there is still no agreement, the case may be taken to the district court for a full hearing.

Unless the dispute involves large sums of money, a full court hearing should be avoided. Students should note that the Director of Consumer Affairs is unable to take an individual's case relating to rights given in the 1980 Act to court. He/she only prosecutes sellers who have breached the Consumer Information Acts.

The Law of Contract

In addition to the consumer's statutory rights, there is a body of case law governing contracts.
    To be legal, a contract must contain the following elements:

1. Offer: An offer is a promise by the person making the offer to be bound by the contract if the offer is accepted. Note that an "invitation to treat" (e.g., a notice in a shop window) is not an offer as it only invites the consumer to examine the goods.

2. Acceptance: Every offer must contain an unqualified acceptance of the offer, which means accepting the offer as it stands.

3. Consideration: This is what is exchanged between the parties to the contract (money, goods or a promise to pay).

4. Real consent: The two parties must voluntarily agree to all the terms of the contract. There must be no duress or undue influence.

5. Intention to contract: The courts will assume that agreements between family and friends are not intended to be legally binding whereas business arrangements are assumed to be legally binding.

6. Capacity to contract: Not everyone has the ability to enter contracts, e.g., an incapacitated person, a legal infant or a company acting "ultra vires", i.e., acting beyond its objectives.

7. Legality of form: Certain contracts to be legal must be drawn up in a particular manner, e.g., a hire purchase contract must be written.

8. Legality of purpose: A contract must not be illegal.

Termination of a contract may be achieved by the following means:

• Performance: When the parties to the contract fulfil their obligations as agreed.
    • Agreement: When both sides agree to terminate even though the contract is incomplete.
    • Frustration: When an unseen event (e.g., death) prevents the contract being completed.
    • Breach: When a condition (an essential term of the contract) is broken the innocent party does not have to fulfil the contract and may sue for damages. If a warranty (a non-essential element of the contract) is broken the contract remains valid but the innocent party may receive damages.
    The remedies for breach of contract are damages, specific performance and the rescinding of the contract.

shootie wrote: »
    Any History?
    here ya go :)

TheIrish Volunteers

Political Crisisin Britain

1. In 1909 the British governmentwas plunged into crisis as a result of the House of Lords rejecting the budgetproposed by the Liberals. 2. Two general elections took place in 1910. Both ledto a stalemate with the Irish Parliamentary Party (IPP) holding the balance ofpower.

3. The Liberal Party, supported by the IPP decided to prevent the Houseof Lords stopping legislation proposed by the British Government. 4. Theypassed a law that removed the veto the House of Lords. In future the House ofLords could only hold up legislation for two years

What was the effect of this change?

1.Every time the British Government attempted to introduce Home Rule for Irelandthe House of Lords stopped it.

2. When the British Governmentintroduced a Bill in 1912 that would grant Home Rule to Ireland, the House ofLords could only delay it for two years.

How didNationalists respond to the establishment of the UVF ?

1. The establishment of the UVF posed a threat to Nationalists and toHome Rule.

2. Despite this many Nationalists welcomed the establishment of theUVF.

3. The Irish Republican Brotherhood argued that it would allowNationalists to also establish an armed group to fight for Home Rule for thewhole island.

4. It became inevitable that Nationalists would have to respond todevelopments.

What was the reaction in Ireland?

1. The IrishParliamentary Party were very popular in Ireland. All over the countrysupporters of Home Rule praised the IPP and it’s leader, John Redmond, forachieving Home Rule for Ireland.

2. Among Unionists, however, there was utter dismaythat they could be betrayed by a British government.

3. In response Unionists, under the leadership ofEdward Carson, established the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) as an armed group,to resist Home Rule.

4.Under pressure from the UVF and the Conservative Party in Britain, the LiberalGovernment proposed that Ulster would be excluded from Home Rule. Howwere the Irish Volunteers established?

1. With the supportof the IRB, Eoin Mac Neill, a leading figure in Nationalist circles, called ameeting in Dublin on 25 November 1913 to establish the Irish Volunteers.

2. The IRB hadalready begun military training and organisations like the GAA and the GaelicLeague were actively supporting the initiative.

3. Hundredsattended the meeting in Dublin and meetings followed all over the country.

4. Within weeksthousands had joined the Irish Volunteers and by the middle of 1914 they hadover 110,000 members.
    Why was Home Rule not introduced in 1914?

1. The First WorldWar started before Home Rule could be introduced and the British Governmentpostponed Home Rule until the war was over.

2. Leader of theIPP, John Redmond, called on all members of the Irish Volunteers to join theBritish Army, but Eoin MacNeill opposed Redmond.

3. The IrishVolunteers split.

4. Over 100,000supported Redmond who formed the National Volunteers.

5. About 10,000rejected the call to fight and remained with MacNeill in the Irish Volunteers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My brother asked his teacher what happens if a test is hard for everyone. Don't worry was his answer. The sec manipulate the marking schemes every year to get x amount of A,B &C grades

Advertisement