Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

desktop for media work

• 10-06-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

Im a film & tv student who has completed 2 years of a 3 year course. What I find quite annoying every year is having to rely on college macs to use editing software. This summer I decided to bite the bullet and invest in some editing software myself.
    Since my laptop is old enough and of a low spec, I have decided to go for a destop next (for work mostly), and have decided to steer clear of anything apple and get a pc. This guy I know who works in IT told me I would be as well off to build a pc myself, so thats what Im going to do.
    Like I said, the pc would be used mainly for movie editing (possibly avid) and would also have photo editing software (photoshop) and maybe even adobe after effects.
    Im really here to find out what parts Id need and where Id get them from (with my line of work in mind). Im not a particularly technically minded person, so I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks!! : )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

blahblah82 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im a film & tv student who has completed 2 years of a 3 year course. What I find quite annoying every year is having to rely on college macs to use editing software. This summer I decided to bite the bullet and invest in some editing software myself.
    Since my laptop is old enough and of a low spec, I have decided to go for a destop next (for work mostly), and have decided to steer clear of anything apple and get a pc. This guy I know who works in IT told me I would be as well off to build a pc myself, so thats what Im going to do.
    Like I said, the pc would be used mainly for movie editing (possibly avid) and would also have photo editing software (photoshop) and maybe even adobe after effects.
    Im really here to find out what parts Id need and where Id get them from (with my line of work in mind). Im not a particularly technically minded person, so I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks!! : )

You probably don't need to do anything too strenuous, to be honest. Will you be doing any gaming? Fill out the questionnaire found in this forum and we can help you out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 blahblah82

Gumbi wrote: »
    You probably don't need to do anything too strenuous, to be honest. Will you be doing any gaming? Fill out the questionnaire found in this forum and we can help you out better.

Cheers Gumbi!
    Nope, no gaming what-so-ever

1. What is your budget? (anything up to €1,000 but prob wont need to)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? editing programme, photoshop, adobe after effects, internet browsing, etc.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Not really sure. Fairly big?

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? -

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? keyboard, mouse

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? dont think theres a need

8. How can you pay? However

9. When are you purchasing? July/August

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Galway

Thanks again! :)

Advertisement