Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how hard is it to get an A1 in music for the leaving cert?

Options
  • 10-06-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

im looking to do a very high points course so i know i have my work cut out for me. ive applied to do everything at higher level. im doing the requisite english, irish, maths, french, chemistry, biology and music. but ive heard music is very hard to get an a1 in. im currently grade 9 on piano and working on grade 5 theory. would it be at all possible for me to get an a1 or would it be next to impossible and require me to have a great deal of musical skill?
    also didn't do music for junior cert and a girl i know who is doing music for the lc told me this makes music very hard for people doing it in lc who didint do it for junior cert. am i screwed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 joxser

Not at all! JC music is nothing like LC music, having a good practicle is very important as its worth 50% but grade 9piano should cover it! In terms of theory you can get by if you have a good musical ear, grade 5 theory is more then enough!! The rest is simply knowing your set works and irish music! Naturally like all LC courses getting an A1 isnt going to be particularly easy! But ive never gotten less then a B in any exam and im not the most studious, im
    Sitting my exam next week and im planning on doing most of my revision in the week i have off between exams, and im aiming to get a B1/A2

So no its not impossible but having a good practicle is key!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Judging by your background you should do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RachyM

Anyone have any idea what might come up? I really need an A2 and I have 6 days off now just to study music but what do ye think will be the most important things to learn?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

im looking to do a very high points course so i know i have my work cut out for me. ive applied to do everything at higher level. im doing the requisite english, irish, maths, french, chemistry, biology and music. but ive heard music is very hard to get an a1 in. im currently grade 9 on piano and working on grade 5 theory. would it be at all possible for me to get an a1 or would it be next to impossible and require me to have a great deal of musical skill?
    also didn't do music for junior cert and a girl i know who is doing music for the lc told me this makes music very hard for people doing it in lc who didint do it for junior cert. am i screwed?

Choose your pieces carefully for the practical. A good variety should do the job.

For the theory learn your set pieces inside out. The composition part of the exam is a game. I remember there was one question and I learnt off a method for doing it. It was simply a case of adjusting it to the key. I got about 87% for my theory exam in the mocks. I let myself down for the practical but that was my own fault.

It won't be easy, but it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As a teacher, OP, I'd have to say its practically impossible to do badly in lc music. The syllabus is flimsy and formulaic, and with your background you'll probably find it quite boring. I've had students who have come out with high grades who couldn't read music when I met them in 5th year. Think strategically. Your experience, for example, is an advantage. Remember, the dumbing down of the course played into the hands of proficient musicians. The examiner won't know or care what level you're playing at, but will assess your performance on what you bring into the room and how you present it. So for example, a pianist holding a diploma, would be well advised to take a hugely impressive grade 5/6 programme to their practical.

If you've covered theory to the higher grades as well you meet a different kind of problem - figuring out what knowledge you're not allowed to use because its 'not on the course'.

I'd say go for it if the points are the objective. If you want to develop your musical knowledge and appreciation for the subject, maybe not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 PaulR666

I'm sitting it in 2 days also... I only started doing in the 2nd year of the leaving cert, So I crammed the two years into one. On top of that I was only getting one hour of grinds a week, because music isn't taught in our school. I'd like to mention I had zero background in music theory I'm just a guitarist in a local band. Even though I was up against all that, I'm confident that with a good practical behind me, and 2 days of solid cramming, I should get around a B2/B1. and that's with one year. So I up this gives you some sort of reassurance. In my opinion the set works are the worst, and with Barry most likely to come up too, it will be tough. All them C parts! haha.

Anyway Best of Luck! Hope you get your A1 mate.
    and your course! :)

Advertisement