Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerline Adapters for poor broadband areas

• 10-06-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭

I be living in rural area with poor eircom broadband (c.1meg download & c.0.25 upload speed).

I have a ps3 and use netflix & rte player on it. The ps3 is currently not wired to the broadband and it can have difficultly in streaming.

Is it worth trying a powerline adapter (e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-HomePlug-Ethernet-Adapter-passthrough/dp/B005IVLCJO?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It'll be faster than wireless but for a speed that slow, it wont really make that much of a difference. Maybe you could get fixed wireless instead of Eircom? You'll get much better speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

At those speeds it wont make any difference. You might shave 2-3ms off your pings but you wouldnt be even able to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I be living in rural area with poor eircom broadband (c.1meg download & c.0.25 upload speed).

I have a ps3 and use netflix & rte player on it. The ps3 is currently not wired to the broadband and it can have difficultly in streaming.

Is it worth trying a powerline adapter (e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-HomePlug-Ethernet-Adapter-passthrough/dp/B005IVLCJO?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

The more pertinent questions are...

1. How far is your PS3 from the eircom router/wifi point?
    2. What obstacles are in the way or do you have clear line of sight?
    3. How far is your PS3 from the WIFI point?
    4. In Network Settings / Connection Info, What's your signal strength?

Advertisement