Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fatal car crash in Barnesmore Gap

Options
  • 10-06-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭

There was a serious crash there earlier today and sadly one man (from Lifford) who I know has died and the condition of another is not known yet known other than he is in a serious condition apparently.

Link to story on Highland Radio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Heard this earlier on.

RIP and condolances to all.

Not sure if the time to bring this up, but it did make me think about the placement and number of Camera Vans in the County, and an observation that I have had. As far as I know, The Gap is one of the Zones identfied by the Guards, also as far as I know it has had a much higher number of incidents compared to say the Killybegs Rd outside Donegal Town, also one of the Zones. Yet I dont ever recall seeing a Van in the Gap, but often see one across from Herron Auto on the Killybegs Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

RIP

Why is the Gap such a lethal road? Surely there are more dangerous roads in Donegal that don't see near that number of accidents.
    I can never see why it is so dangerous.

It could be wider and straighter certainly but so could almost every road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

There aren't many places on the Gap where a speed van could safely operate, especially the most dangerous stretches of it, but it might be possible to have permanent cameras located there.

Nobody wants to be insensitive or add to the hurt of those injured and bereaved but it is only at these times that there is a push for action and action is badly needed to make this particular road much safer for the large numbers who have to use it in all weather conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Ridiculous the number of accidents that seem to happen along that stretch, what I don't get is that the road is actually fairly straight and wide and generally has good viewing distances. It could be better of course but as Donegal roads go it definitely doesn't come across as one of the worst. Not the thread to discuss it but something clearly needs changing as its happening all too often

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

RIP

I think the Gap does need looking at, its a very frustrating road on the Ballybofey side.

There are a few bad parts on that side and I have often been in a queue of traffic at 60kph for most of it while one driver holds up up to 20 cars.

Few if any stay in left to allow others to pass throughout the road in general and perhaps allowing a better width on that side with enforcement to allow vehicles pass would help

Also Donegal is badly hampered when an incident like this happens. Closing the gap is a huge problem. Gardai will send you back to go through Northern Ireland or Glenties after an accident. Surely there is a need to create a road where accidents are less frequent and when they do happen, a major artery does not need to close for hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

RIP. Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased, and wishes for a speedy recovery to the injured.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

RIP to those killed in this crash. :(

Perhaps the section of N15 through the Barnesmore gap needs to be dualled, so that fast traffic can safely overtake slow traffic with a concrete barrier along the middle to prevent head-on collisions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

irish-stew wrote: »
    Heard this earlier on.

RIP and condolances to all.

Not sure if the time to bring this up, but it did make me think about the placement and number of Camera Vans in the County, and an observation that I have had. As far as I know, The Gap is one of the Zones identfied by the Guards, also as far as I know it has had a much higher number of incidents compared to say the Killybegs Rd outside Donegal Town, also one of the Zones. Yet I dont ever recall seeing a Van in the Gap, but often see one across from Herron Auto on the Killybegs Rd.

iv seen one there a few times, there is a spot where they can sit.

I thought this accident was in keadue tho? Just the Donegal town side of biddys. A few km either side just seems to get lumped in with it (the gap). Excellent road there (altho iv also heard the accident wasn't down to bad driving RIP)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

overshoot wrote: »
    iv seen one there a few times, there is a spot where they can sit.

I thought this accident was in keadue tho? Just the Donegal town side of biddys. A few km either side just seems to get lumped in with it (the gap). Excellent road there (altho iv also heard the accident wasn't down to bad driving RIP)
    All this talk about dangerous driving through the gap always comes up when someone losses there life (RIP) heard a lot of talk locally aswell when the other man lost his life a few weeks back, but people should wait for the facts of what happens before blaming speed, there can be a lot of other contributating factors to these accidents.
    I drive this road five days a week both ways and there is a lot less dangerous driving and speeding going on than there used to be.

Advertisement