Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirrors Edge: Catalyst

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Couldn't find a newer Catalyst thread so I'll throw it in here. Special Edition announced for the low, low price of $200....

mirrors-edge-catalyst-collectors-edition_1280.0.jpg

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/9/8922663/mirrors-edge-catalyst-collectors-edition-ps4-pc-xbox-one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

:eek:

Who buys that stuff?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Links234 wrote: »

Who buys that stuff?!

Not gonna lie, I'm tempted but (un)fortunately for me I am flat broke and I have no working computer at the moment.

Now if they had thrown in a ME messenger bag for that price...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

that statue makes me worry we're going to have to play some godawful child-faith levels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

wyrn wrote: »
    Now if they had thrown in a ME messenger bag for that price...

Yeah, that'd actually be kinda cool. Now, if a replica pair of Faith's shoes were included, then I might actually buy that ;)

I should really go back and play the first game properly :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Links234 wrote: »

Who buys that stuff?!

I would. I've developed a fondness for that stuff :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

strelok wrote: »
    that statue makes me worry we're going to have to play some godawful child-faith levels

How do you know they'd be godawful?

How do you know they'd be godawful?

because she's bloody tiny and **** at parkour

and it'd be all full of oh look at this emotionally significant moment that drove faith towards her life as a super hardcore package delivery woman. she was never meant to be a hero she was just a badass, the whole origin story angle is pissing me off a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

strelok wrote: »
    because she's bloody tiny and **** at parkour

and it'd be all full of oh look at this emotionally significant moment that drove faith towards her life as a super hardcore package delivery woman. she was never meant to be a hero she was just a badass, the whole origin story angle is pissing me off a bit.

Em... ok, or it could be kinda great because it's a look at this emotionally significant moment that drove Faith towards her life as a super hardcore package delivery woman.

but she's not a super hardcore package delivery woman she's just a runner. the whole origin story angle smacks of allowing the real world reaction to the story to affect the continuation of the story. this is why the last season of sherlock was so awful, chock full of fanservice and smug self congratulation.

• Advertisement

I'm confused here, you seem to actually know the details of what the story is going to be. All I've heard are the very brief basic details that was at E3. I mean you couldn't possibly be writing off an entire unreleased game based solely on a single marketing photograph and that it is an origin story?

...and as for what Faith is, it's a work of fiction. Faith "is" whatever the writers make her. Now that may be awful, it may be brilliant; and because the game isn't out yet and because I don't know what the storyline is yet then I have no idea which. But the fact that it is an "origin" is not going to be the deciding factor on the quality of the story. Origin stories can be woeful (Phantom Menace), they can be pretty good (Tomb Raider) or they can be objectively brilliant works of genius (Godfather Part Two). We'll know when the game is out and we're playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

James74 wrote: »
    I'm confused here, you seem to actually know the details of what the story is going to be. All I've heard are the very brief basic details that was at E3. I mean you couldn't possibly be writing off an entire unreleased game based solely on a single marketing photograph and that it is an origin story?

And getting angry about it.:confused:

BTW the messenger bag was a pre-order bonus with certain editions of the first game.

James74 wrote: »
    I mean you couldn't possibly be writing off an entire unreleased game based solely on a single marketing photograph and that it is an origin story?

i'm not writing it off, i'm making an assumption and then getting pissy about it. im sure i'm going to love the game, i just hate origin stories.

And getting angry about it.:confused:

No, not getting angry, but blanket general assumptions based on zero evidence or knowledge does grind my gears a bit. I put statements like "i just hate origin stories" up there with "indie games are crap" and "Nintendo only make games for children" for general fukwittery that I've read on this forum in the last day.

Anyway...... loved the first, hope this is good, we'll find out next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm very excited about this, the first game was a rough diamond and it was fun just scaling and climbing everywhere. I hope the spirit of the first remains and there aren't a bunch of corralled fight sequences.

Is it just me though, or are those levels looking a lot ... busier than the first game? I loved the clean, practically minimalist aesthetic of #1, the sequel's looking a bit more visually dense. I'd prefer it toned down a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I really can't stand watching people playing in first person on a pad. Gosh it's pretty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Beautiful looking game. The first thing I noticed was a lack of red things to work towards. I wonder if that's by design or if they're switched off in the settings?

In one of the videos posted above it was mentioned that because of the open world nature of the map, they only make the route to your next waypoint red. Although I'd be surprised if there isn't also a "red-off" setting or difficulty level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

That robotic head turning

I see they made her look not like the mattress girl as much.

Anyway, not interested if this is any way as meh as the first game. I remember seeing it in bargain bins for 5 quid a month after release. Maybe it'll be a fun enough playground for modding to take off, though. I can see maybe HMDs + user made content and some online aspects being fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

pixelburp wrote: »
    Is it just me though, or are those levels looking a lot ... busier than the first game? I loved the clean, practically minimalist aesthetic of #1, the sequel's looking a bit more visually dense. I'd prefer it toned down a little!

I bought a new gaming TV last year and immediately bypassed my ps4 stuff for ME. I adore its visual identity. It was such a breath of fresh air from the usual grim and gritty dystopian cliches. A totalitarian regime as designed by Steve Jobs. It was oppressively white, bright and shiny. This does seem murkier and less distinct. Head movement is either gone or massively toned down. I really hope they don't screw this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Looks very good so far, I'm glad they haven't changed it too much. One of my top games of last generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Video looked good. Soundtrack sounds even better than the first time around.

I am looking forward to this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hopefully the "Still Alive" theme is in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

Hope they make the first one a gwg, I heard it was amazing and I'm really excited for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm glad it's delayed as it will give them more time to get it right and it was going to release the same day as Deus Ex, I wouldn't be able to decide what to play having both of them infront of me at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It looks absolutely stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Mr E wrote: »
    It looks absolutely stunning.
    Agreed but bear in mind the footage is in-engine, not in-game. Definitely looking forward to some proper gameplay videos. :)

Advertisement