Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 7 Vet Nursing with a FETAC Level 5?

• 10-06-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I figured this might be the best area to get responses!

Those of you who got accepted into a Level 7 Vet Nursing course (and wasn't a mature student) with a Level 5 Animal Care course, what were your results?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

A few in my class got through from animal care courses, as far as I know mark wise they mainly got distinctions. I don't know for certain as I got in from CAO but hopefully someone else will give better advise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I'm thinking of doing the animal care course myself. Just wondering, are there any exemptions if I was to go on to do the level 7?

It may just be worth applying straight for the level 7 if not.

I don't think their are exemptions, anyone I know had to do the course same as everyone else, but it is an option if you don't get it through the CAO! Even though I got the points I still didn't get my course till the 3rd round offers so it may be worth applying for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Some of the animal care courses genuinely aren't worth doing. There is no consistency in the quality of teaching and the resources made available for the course from school to school. Make sure you talk to people who have already done the animal care course local to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

Thanks. Well I've met the requirments with the course I did to apply for a Level 7. I got distinctions but one merit, so I'm kind of thinking a lot of people who applied would have got all distinctions and therefore would be taken on ahead of me. Supposedly Athlone (my 1st choice) took on a lot more FETAC students last year and quite a few from the class got in so I'm hoping it's the same this year.

• Advertisement

I think your work experience counts for more than your FETAC results. I'd try and get regular work experience (or continue existing work experience) while you are waiting to start in AIT. :)

boomerang wrote: »
    I think your work experience counts for more than your FETAC results. I'd try and get regular work experience (or continue existing work experience) while you are waiting to start in AIT. :)

There is no interview or anything for courses you apply to through the CAO. It's like Leaving Cert, it's based solely on your results. I know for the likes of St. John's it's different because you have an interview and they are really into what work experience you have. It's actually funny, it's easier to get into a Level 7 than St. John's!

St. John's is tough to get into alright! Every year there are about 400 applicants for about 40 places! Even people with FETAC 5&6 and work experience in addition get turned down! It's a good course, the fees are cheaper than the third level colleges (relevant if you already have a degree) and you're done in two years. On the other hand, second year is hell on earth... :D

St. John's is tough to get into alright! Every year there are about 400 applicants for about 40 places! Even people with FETAC 5&6 and work experience in addition get turned down! It's a good course, the fees are cheaper than the third level colleges (relevant if you already have a degree) and you're done in two years. On the other hand, second year is hell on earth... :D

Ya I applied there for the Level 6, but they rang me and said they weren't taking anyone outside their Level 5 at all. I suppose at the end of the day it's the only place like it so it's going to be competitive!

Just keeping the fingers crossed for when the CAO offers come out, we'll see after that!

I had a place on the waiting list for St. John's 3 years ago, my god was the interview tough going! I've had easier job interviews :D first we had to sit a test to show what knowledge we had of animals, then a kinda group game thingy where they stuck the male and female names of animals (like buck and hob, Tom and queen) to each persons back and then you had to find your partner, then there was these station things you had to go through and identify all of the instruments set up around the room, things like stringes, calfing jack, straw/hay, test tubes etc. then there was a group interview where each person had to say what experience they have and why they want to do the course, and you had a minute to chat with the person beside you and you had to tell the jnterviewer an interesting fact about that person! And all that was just for the level 5 animal care!! Whereas with athlone, just sent off my CAO and waited :P it may take am extra year but I feel it's a better degree as its a bachelor of science in veterinary nursing rather than diploma but maybe I'm biased and trying to justify the last 3 years of my life :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

What about job prospects. What are they like after just doing level 5 animal care?

I'm a mature student, single mother, working a part time dead end job. I'm considering jacking it in to got back to college, I've always had a passion to work with animals.

Shelli2 wrote: »
    What about job prospects. What are they like after just doing level 5 animal care?

I'm a mature student, single mother, working a part time dead end job. I'm considering jacking it in to got back to college, I've always had a passion to work with animals.

Honestly unless you plan on running your own kennels or something like that I wouldn't imagine the job prospects would be great, even with a level 7 degree (if I qualify!) I'm finding it hard to find jobs!

I dunno, our course only finished up a month ago and already six of my classmates are starting jobs. The pay is terrible, though!

Lamina wrote: »
    Ya I applied there for the Level 6, but they rang me and said they weren't taking anyone outside their Level 5 at all. I suppose at the end of the day it's the only place like it so it's going to be competitive!

Just keeping the fingers crossed for when the CAO offers come out, we'll see after that!

I had already done Level 5 (all distinctions) but in order to do their Level 6 I had to do their Level 5 first. Which is just as well, because their Level 5 is brilliant. The teachers know they are preparing you for the demands of their Level 6 (which is on a par with third or fourth year of a VN degree) and also because to meet the requirements of the Veterinary Council they have to teach far beyond and above the scope of Level 5. There was no comparison with the Level 5 that I had done!

I already had a degree and post-grad so I would have had to pay fees to go to AIT or UCD and I also didn't want to commit another four years of my life to college. So St. John's was a perfect fit for me. Would love to have the BSc alright though. :) You'll fly it, SillyMangoX!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Soodle

Hey this is going slightly off topic but anyone know how long it takes to get results from a the Animal Care FETAC 5 course?

Seems to depend on the centre where you've taken the exams. I think I had to wait until July for my first Level 5 results, and then St. John's would have the results by the end of June.

Hi,

Thanks. I’m getting really impatient it seems longer to get results on a FETAC than a degree!!

I had already done Level 5 (all distinctions) but in order to do their Level 6 I had to do their Level 5 first. Which is just as well, because their Level 5 is brilliant. The teachers know they are preparing you for the demands of their Level 6 (which is on a par with third or fourth year of a VN degree) and also because to meet the requirements of the Veterinary Council they have to teach far beyond and above the scope of Level 5. There was no comparison with the Level 5 that I had done!

I already had a degree and post-grad so I would have had to pay fees to go to AIT or UCD and I also didn't want to commit another four years of my life to college. So St. John's was a perfect fit for me. Would love to have the BSc alright though. :) You'll fly it, SillyMangoX!

Ya I would have considered applying for the Level 5 only for I got a grant this year so I wouldn't be able to afford to live in Cork for it. The place I did my Level 5 in is doing Level 6 next year, but that will definitely be a last resort if I don't get into a Level 7.

Soodle- I got my results for Level 5 a couple of weeks ago. It all depends on your centre.

Just bumping this up to see if there is anyone else out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I think a lot of it would depend on where you did the Level 5, as I think someone said. Some places are more well-known and prestigious than others. My partner did one of these in his local college, and he left before Christmas because it was so bad. Very few of the teachers were interested in actually educating the class, there was absolutely no hands-on experience (not even with equipment) and apparently the class was severely held back by a small number of students who couldn't even turn on a computer. I would imagine if he had tried to apply to do a Level 7, or to look for work and mentioned this course in this particular college, people would have thrown the CV into the bin :p

• Advertisement

Thanks, Got my results now only 2 days ago. Distinction in every subject :)

Advertisement