Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL Ag Science Before/After **

• 10-06-2013 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭

Any predictions lads? What's every one studying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 catherinek12

doubt anyone will be on this til before the exam , ill see what that predictions guy suggests and work from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

doubt anyone will be on this til before the exam , ill see what that predictions guy suggests and work from there

Predictions guy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Predictions guy??

Eoin Jackson I think it is? Hes on youtube. Anyway if you look at the papers its quite difficult to predict Ag Science :/ I just hope its not as bad as the 2011 or 2007 exams

Eoin Jackson I think it is? Hes on youtube. Anyway if you look at the papers its quite difficult to predict Ag Science :/ I just hope its not as bad as the 2011 or 2007 exams

Sound. 2012 was tricky aswell, just hope it's a nice paper as I need a decent result in it to bring up me points

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭johneugene

I'd know the carbon and nitrogen cycles. Know experiments off.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the 'to the determine the number of earthworms in a pasture' experiment will come up ;)

Hopefully the 'to the determine the number of earthworms in a pasture' experiment will come up ;)

Remember you need 6 valid points per experiment. (6x4)x2= 48

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

My worst subject. After I did poorly in everything else I'll try to study as much as possible for this.

Are there any patterns in the experiments question?

mixery wrote: »
    My worst subject. After I did poorly in everything else I'll try to study as much as possible for this.

Are there any patterns in the experiments question?

Not really im afraid. Sometimes on q2 there is a soil experiment! Do you have a small experiment book from the farmers journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hitchcock

This is my repeat subject, I'm aiming for a B1 :)
    The main topics I'll focus on: grassland, soil, tillage/crops, genetics, dairy/beef, sheep and pigs.
    Then the less significant topics: fertiliser, forestry, plant biology (I know this from biology), animal body systems etc
    Then of course all of the experiments especially the soil ones
    Any advice on what to focus on, or any general advice? :)

• Advertisement

hitchcock wrote: »
    This is my repeat subject, I'm aiming for a B1 :)
    The main topics I'll focus on: grassland, soil, tillage/crops, genetics, dairy/beef, sheep and pigs.
    Then the less significant topics: fertiliser, forestry, plant biology (I know this from biology), animal body systems etc
    Then of course all of the experiments especially the soil ones
    Any advice on what to focus on, or any general advice? :)

I'm hoping for at least a B3, hopefully goin to do it in college next year

I'm hoping for at least a B3, hopefully goin to do it in college next year

Yes I was happy with my project so I really want to do as well as I can now in the written :) Is your ag science course in ucd?

Yes I was happy with my project so I really want to do as well as I can now in the written :) Is your ag science course in ucd?

Hoping for UCD any way, if not there's one in WIT aswell but its level 7

Hoping for UCD any way, if not there's one in WIT aswell but its level 7

Lovely! Best of luck with the cramming, hopefully we will get a handy paper! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

johneugene wrote: »
    Not really im afraid. Sometimes on q2 there is a soil experiment! Do you have a small experiment book from the farmers journal.

What do you mean there's no patterns this paper has the most certian question type than any other course, these are guaranteed to come up every year: Q2 Soil Q4 experiments Q7 Genetics

Lovely! Best of luck with the cramming, hopefully we will get a handy paper! :)

Sound and best of look to yourself! Have 3 tests that week aswell and I need to do well in them for points so a busy "week off" ahead! :/
    Hopefully the marking scheme will be easy aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DavidDaly

Hi . Does anyone have any suggestions on what to focus on for the Ag Science Exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

DavidDaly wrote: »
    Hi . Does anyone have any suggestions on what to focus on for the Ag Science Exam?

The usual stuff, genetics, experiments, soil, Q1, animal production, crops etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

These are the sections that come up evey year Q2 Soil Q4 experiments Q7genetics, that's %50 of that is your test if you chose to do it, so your other 50% is left up in the air. Ps you kinda have to do Q1 aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

I'm going to avoid Grasslands and Genetics. I just suck at them. Soil is difficult enough.
    There are just WAY too many experiments!!!!!

• Advertisement

I'm going to avoid Grasslands and Genetics. I just suck at them. Soil is difficult enough.
    There are just WAY too many experiments!!!!!

We never did genetics! Find grassland the handiest in the book! Suppose that's cause I knew a lot of it before I started 5th year haha. Doin crops, dairy, beef, Sheep, pigs, grassland and hopefully a bit of soil. There's some load to cover for soil!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭200c200c

Ag Science will hopefully be my best subject :) Did any of ye get called in for the practical exam ?

200c200c wrote: »
    Ag Science will hopefully be my best subject :) Did any of ye get called in for the practical exam ?

Hoping for it to be my best subject aswell! I didn't but 2 of the best in the class did, and one of the worst haha

Hoping for it to be my best subject aswell! I didn't but 2 of the best in the class did, and one of the worst haha

Haha yeah its easy enough to prepare for the exam so I'm not too worried :)
    I got called in and it went great so I'm hoping for a high B or even maybe an A :D

Haha yeah its easy enough to prepare for the exam so I'm not too worried :)
    I got called in and it went great so I'm hoping for a high B or even maybe an A :D

I'm hoping for a B3 at least, hoping that the paper is a nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

Ya I got called in, all went well and knew all the stuff on the project and plants+ animals, the examiner was sound out

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Yep. And I got my marked bumped up as a result :P

woopah92 wrote: »
    How do you know ? The examiner or teacher is not allowed to say ? :cool:

woopah92 wrote: »

Are they allowed to do that? Not very fair on the people who didn't get called in if they can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Are they allowed to do that? Not very fair on the people who didn't get called in if they can

Yes they're allowed to deduct or increase your marks depending on how your or goes in relation to marks given in the project.
    Also , to my knowledge, if the examiner changes the majority of people's marks that were interviewed, the whole class can be increased or decreased marks. I'm not sure if this bit is entirely true though.
    I say I got the full 20% going into this exam, thank god :)

Advertisement