Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL Ag Science Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Are they allowed to do that? Not very fair on the people who didn't get called in if they can

Yes it's allowed. I could have been brought down either.
    Not my decision, not my fault. Blame the examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭200c200c

Yes they're allowed to deduct or increase your marks depending on how your or goes in relation to marks given in the project.
    I say I got the full 20% going into this exam, thank god :)
    Yes I know they are allowed deduct or increase the marks, but I'm wondering how you know that yours were increased ? And also if your marks got increased ,then so did everyone else that was originally given the same grade as you :) So if you were originally a C and got brought to a B then every C in the class is brought to a B !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Yes they're allowed to deduct or increase your marks depending on how your or goes in relation to marks given in the project.
    Also , to my knowledge, if the examiner changes the majority of people's marks that were interviewed, the whole class can be increased or decreased marks. I'm not sure if this bit is entirely true though.
    I say I got the full 20% going into this exam, thank god :)

Makes sense alright. I really don't know how my project went, felt I could've done better but I had 2 other projects to do and we were just kind of told to do it, weren't really given any advice on what to include in it and couldn't really compare it to most of the class cos most of them are only doin ag science as their "7th subject" if ya no what I mean

200c200c wrote: »
    Yes I know they are allowed deduct or increase the marks, but I'm wondering how you know that yours were increased ? And also if your marks got increased ,then so did everyone else that was originally given the same grade as you :) So if you were originally a C and got brought to a B then every C in the class is brought to a B !!

We were left in a room by ourselves with the official marks on the table and no supervision. We were hardly not gonna look :D I was only brought up by 6% but it could matter in the grand scheme of things. :P

Were we supposed to put in our own photos into the project?

• Advertisement

Yes, including pictures of ourselves on the farm to show we actually did it ourselves and didn't just copy it.

Yes :L We all had about 8 projects each full of photos and all our own personal farm experience too :) I suppose it did help that all 22 in our class were farmers :) The examiner said she had never seen projects like ours in 5 years doing this ! She was pure sound :)

Had a class of similar size but most of them were from the town and were only there cos they didnt want to do french or biology. I only found out about this when I handed the folder up. The teacher never said a word about it to us, and if I had known all I had to do was take out the phone and take a few pics when I out working! Would I lose many marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Had a class of similar size but most of them were from the town and were only there cos they didnt want to do french or biology. I only found out about this when I handed the folder up. The teacher never said a word about it to us, and if I had known all I had to do was take out the phone and take a few pics when I out working! Would I lose many marks?

You would of lost no marks but it's more interesting for the examiner to see you in pictures. There's no marks in the marking scheme for personal pictures

Maybe a few, depends on the examiner, but they usually look to make sure its authentic and photos of your own personal experience would show this !

• Advertisement

Would have been no effort at all for me to get pictures so its a missed opportunity. I'd imagine examiners like to give marks to projects that are a bit different or stand out, even though I'm sure there not supposed to.

Wish we started the project in 5th year would have taken the pressure off a lot, trying to do 3 projects at once.

Would have been no effort at all for me to get pictures so its a missed opportunity. I'd imagine examiners like to give marks to projects that are a bit different or stand out, even though I'm sure there not supposed to.

Wish we started the project in 5th year would have taken the pressure off a lot, trying to do 3 projects at once.

Atleast ye only had 3 to do ..We had 8 :L Our teacher was very emmm enthusiastic :L Loved farming and was really interested in our projects !! Most classes we spent watching ear to the ground or other farming programmes :L He was a legend though :)

We were told about it the 1st day of 5th year. I think that's kinda unfair your teacher didn't go over what you needed in it. Two weeks before the due date, our teacher even did mock oral exams with us about the project.

woopah92 wrote: »
    We were told about it the 1st day of 5th year. I think that's kinda unfair your teacher didn't go over what you needed in it. Two weeks before the due date, our teacher even did mock oral exams with us about the project.
    Same as ! We were brought in 1 by 1 and he did exactly what the examiner did with us :)

Atleast ye only had 3 to do ..We had 8 :L Our teacher was very emmm enthusiastic :L Loved farming and was really interested in our projects !! Most classes we spent watching ear to the ground or other farming programmes :L He was a legend though :)

Sounds like a grand class to be in haha. 8 projects?!

She was decent at the theory end and went through all the stuff before the examiner came, but for the folder part she just kind of expected us to know what to put in, didn't help us at all with it.
    There was only about 5 real culchies and farmers in a class of 21, and she loved us but had no time for the townies at all but then again they had no time for the subject.

Sounds like a grand class to be in haha. 8 projects?!

Yeah 8 it was a lot of work but was well worth it :) We had a farm diary(Most peoples were 2 full A4 copies!!) , Grassland, Fodder beat, safety project, ecology project, experiment copy, farm map and a project on a visit to either mountbellew agri college or gurteen (some people did both-they had 9 projects ) !! Crazy , time-consuming stuff :P

Yeah 8 it was a lot of work but was well worth it :) We had a farm diary(Most peoples were 2 full A4 copies!!) , Grassland, Fodder beat, safety project, ecology project, experiment copy, farm map and a project on a visit to either mountbellew agri college or gurteen (some people did both-they had 9 projects ) !! Crazy , time-consuming stuff :P

Actually wouldn't have minded being in that class, ag science was the only subject that I really actually liked.

Any one on here do agricultural economics ?? Seen as less than 100 people do it every year

That's not 8 projects, it's just 8 parts of one project.

We were made do;

2 animal enterprises
    1 root crop
    1 fodder crop
    Grassland
    Ecology
    2 farm visits (Kildalton and Gurteen)
    Experiements
    Farm plan/Map
    Year long farm diary
    And one special interest project!

:p

• Advertisement

Actually wouldn't have minded being in that class, ag science was the only subject that I really actually liked.

Yeah it was my favourite class by a mile , we had such craic everyday ! Our teacher too nothing too seriously but we still got the work done :) I love it , its actually interesting and overlaps with biology and geog for me so that made it easier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

She was decent at the theory end and went through all the stuff before the examiner came, but for the folder part she just kind of expected us to know what to put in, didn't help us at all with it.
    There was only about 5 real culchies and farmers in a class of 21, and she loved us but had no time for the townies at all but then again they had no time for the subject.
    Should have joined Boards earlier :pac:

There's a thread here somewhere where one of our friendly local AgSci teachers goes through the optimum contents of the project in positively intimate detail! :D

We were made do;

2 animal enterprises
    1 root crop
    1 fodder crop
    Grassland
    Ecology
    Experiements
    Farm plan/Map
    Year long farm diary

It was actually 8/9 seperate projects :L The farm diarys for 1 whole year took up 2 big copies , then each other project had to be over 50 pages and were all in their own folders or copies ! Most of us did our farm maps on A1/A2 sheets !

We were made do;

2 animal enterprises
    1 root crop
    1 fodder crop
    Grassland
    Ecology
    Experiements
    Farm plan/Map
    Year long farm diary

We were just told do a crop, grassland, one animal enterprise, type up a farm visit to kildalton, farm plan and one or two other small things
    What did ye have to do for the diary?

It was actually 8/9 seperate projects :L The farm diarys for 1 whole year took up 2 big copies , then each other project had to be over 50 pages and were all in their own folders or copies ! Most of us did our farm maps on A1/A2 sheets !

Ye must have started in 5th year? I couldn't have done all that along with my dcg and engineering project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Should have joined Boards earlier :pac:

There's a thread here somewhere where one of our friendly local AgSci teachers goes through the optimum contents of the project in positively intimate detail! :D
    Actually ... thread.

Might be worth a quick skim even now, people had asked various questions over years re: exam questions, you wouldn't know what might be useful.

Ye must have started in 5th year? I couldn't have done all that along with my dcg and engineering project

Yeah we started our farm diary in 5th year because it was year long account of what happens on the farm every month even including the summer !
    We did all the rest this year :)

Yeah that's the exact same as us. But that's still only 1 project, the Ag science project ;)
    We were just told do a crop, grassland, one animal enterprise, type up a farm visit to kildalton, farm plan and one or two other small things
    What did ye have to do for the diary?

Just record what went on the farm in as much detail as possible. Some of the real farmers did it on a day by day basis.

Yeah we started our farm diary in 5th year because it was year long account of what happens on the farm every month even including the summer !
    We did all the rest this year :)

Did ye make it up or did ye actually go to a farm every month to see what happens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

Any one on here do agricultural economics ?? Seen as less than 100 people do it every year

I do it

Advertisement